Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ Player and LG TVs.

Options
  • 24-04-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got the new version of the RTÉ Player installed on their LG TV. Like many the new version appeared on my TV after Christmas but was downgraded days later to the older version. I've contacted the player people via twitter a few times & was first informed that they were perfecting the app & the update was coming soon. Subsequently after a long wait I contacted them again only to be informed that the app wasn't available for LG TVs. Seems like some confusion going on there. Thing is that the app was functioning fine for a few days before they pulled it only to replace it with the older version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Same as above. I was really impressed and using the new player (really for the first time) when the app was on the LG TV around Christmas.

I too contacted them when the downgrade happened and was informed it would be resolved soon. A pity it hasn’t been sorted ��

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Same as above. I was really impressed and using the new player (really for the first time) when the app was on the LG TV around Christmas.

I too contacted them when the downgrade happened and was informed it would be resolved soon. A pity it hasn’t been sorted ��
    This is the reply I got from them on 15/04.
    "Hi Raymond. I'm afraid RTÉ Player is no longer on LG TVs. You can find out alternative way to watch in our FAQs, here: https://t.co/1pL4h8AIJN"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

This is the reply I got from them on 15/04.
    "Hi Raymond. I'm afraid RTÉ Player is no longer on LG TVs. You can find out alternative way to watch in our FAQs, here: https://t.co/1pL4h8AIJN"

That's blatantly someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Same on Samsung Smart TVs - only the old version of RTE Player available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Old player still on my LG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Rte are a disaster at this stage. There is a serious case to stop paying the licence. How many years and they still haven't produced a decent app.

I still have the old app on my LG tv but I am using it less and less as it is riddled with ads and won't work half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Here's hoping this works out. I've been told recently that it's still coming to LG tvs.

FGR wrote: »
    Here's hoping this works out. I've been told recently that it's still coming to LG tvs.
    I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I've been told at least three times since launch 5 months ago, that the new app would be available 'soon', plus once that the app was no longer available on LG TVs.

Any update on this?
    They are so slow to roll out stuff.
    Deliberately holding it back to sell the Connect boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Any update on this?
    They are so slow to roll out stuff.
    Deliberately holding it back to sell the Connect boxes?

I got an e-mail from them in mid may with a message along the lines of 'keep an eye out over the next few days and you won't be disappointed'

....That's nearly a month ago.

Fingers crossed it still happens. Better late than never.

Edit: from the twitter on 10/06/19

Untitled.jpg

• Advertisement

Since last night (Tues.) Unable to play video at this time screen notification appears when using the app on my 2018 LG TV. Ads play fine at first but when they're over the message appears. Tweeted RTÉ Player, no response yet. Not just my TV, my son also has an LG, running the old version of the app with the same on-screen results. Wondering if they've withdrawn support for the old app version pending launch of the new one soon.

Service back up and running again. Still the old app version though.

The rte player is really dreadful.
    I was browsing it earlier on a tablet and Long Weekends with Rick Stein and Rory O' Connell's version were coming up. So clicked into them and it says 'not available for streaming due to rights' restrictions'.

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can literally find no way to play live TV on the rte app on mine.

(For some reason I cannot get the damn thing to play saorview even thought my 11 year old Samsung can do so with a coat hanger in the back)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Since last night (Tues.) Unable to play video at this time screen notification appears when using the app on my 2018 LG TV. Ads play fine at first but when they're over the message appears. Tweeted RTÉ Player, no response yet. Not just my TV, my son also has an LG, running the old version of the app with the same on-screen results. Wondering if they've withdrawn support for the old app version pending launch of the new one soon.

I'm getting this on my TV now. Did you do anything to resolve? I tried reinstalling the app (only the old app available) and no luck. Nothing will play.
    If I have to watch that Aldi ad with the O'Byrnes one more time I'll scream :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kinda off topic, but I've just noticed an Rte player app added to nowtv stick with a recent update. Seems to be working ok. Had to hard reset the stick for something else and it was there after I set it up again.

I can't attend Rte player but the oh uses it a lot on other devices. Always been a bugfest on every platform.

Still has ads but I've never seen it working as long before.

Col_30 wrote: »
    I'm getting this on my TV now. Did you do anything to resolve? I tried reinstalling the app (only the old app available) and no luck. Nothing will play.
    If I have to watch that Aldi ad with the O'Byrnes one more time I'll scream :mad:
    The problem just 'righted' itself after a couple of hours. Probably some sort of service issue I guess. Still ranting off to RTÉ Player on Twitter every now and again about the update on LG TVs & still getting the same ol' stock reply. I got one the last day which was almost a carbon copy of a response I got on the 10th of January last - app update imenant, just tidying up a few things before update is released soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

The problem just 'righted' itself after a couple of hours. Probably some sort of service issue I guess. Still ranting off to RTÉ Player on Twitter every now and again about the update on LG TVs & still getting the same ol' stock reply. I got one the last day which was almost a carbon copy of a response I got on the 10th of January last - app update imenant, just tidying up a few things before update is released soon.

Thanks for that. I will try it again later and see if it's sorted itself out.
    The LG operating system is horrible overall. I wish I knew that before I bought the TV :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I tried the RTE player on our e55 oled lg from 2016 and it says old version of app no longer supported. Newer version is not available in the LG content store?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I tried the RTE player on our e55 oled lg from 2016 and it says old version of app no longer supported. Newer version is not available in the LG content store?

This is an eventuality that befalls all apps that are installed in your TV or Blu-Ray player. The app gets too big for your device's memory or it needs a later processor so your appliance gets left behind. This even happens with premium brands like Sony, the YouTube app stopped working after about three years on my Blu-Ray player. Sony knew it was going to happen and flagged it on the apps menu with about two months notice but that was it - this app won't work anymore, tough!

The solution with mobile phones is to upgrade the device every couple of years but TVs have a longer life so what to do? The answer is not to rely on the TV to run those apps, get an external Android box.

The sales tactic of splashing app icons all over the TVs in the showroom is misleading, most of those apps will stop working well within the lifetime of the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

This is your best bet. No problems with this going out of date for many years to come.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058099659/1

coylemj wrote: »
    This is an eventuality that befalls all apps that are installed in your TV or Blu-Ray player. The app gets too big for your device's memory or it needs a later processor so your appliance gets left behind.

The solution with mobile phones is to upgrade the device every couple of years but TVs have a longer life so what to do? The answer is not to rely on the TV to run those apps, get an external Android box.

The sales tactic of splashing app icons all over the TVs in the showroom is misleading, most of those apps will stop working well within the lifetime of the TV.

I doubt it's a limitation of the TV.. ITV hub, Disney plus, Netflix,BBC iPlayer all available..Amazon prime etc..

I can always cast from my phone to Chromecast..I assume that's supported... Just be handy to have on tv

I doubt it's a limitation of the TV.. ITV hub, Disney plus, Netflix,BBC iPlayer all available..Amazon prime etc..

I can always cast from my phone to Chromecast..I assume that's supported... Just be handy to have on tv

i wonder if its because i have location of tv set to uk? Was bought in NI. Might swap it around later and see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I have the same with a mid-range 2018 Samsung TV. RTÉ player "no longer supported" and no update available. Then again it rarely worked right anyway.

Tried changing location. No joy..ah well. Casting it is..for the odd time we might use it

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Had the same issue with a Samsung bluray PVR, got a notice to say new app wasn't compatible with unit, got a Nowtv stick, RTÉ player, VM player, all4, Netflix, YouTube and Spotify.

It probably IS a limitation of your TV. The fact that lots of other apps still run doesn't disprove the point I made - one app is going to lead the field in the queue of obsolescence. In your case it's the RTE app. Nobody suggested that they would all stop working at the same time,

The version you have installed is no longer supported by RTE and you say there isn't a newer version of the app in the LG store. There probably is a newer version but they're not showing it as available because it can't run on your 2016 TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

coylemj wrote: »
    It probably IS a limitation of your TV. The fact that lots of other apps still run doesn't disprove the point I made - one app is going to lead the field in the queue of obsolescence. In your case it's the RTE app. Nobody suggested that they would all stop working at the same time,

It's also quite likely that RTÉ are at fault here in not keeping their apps updated across platforms. It's not like the player is a well maintained or looked after app, it barely works on a web browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

dulpit wrote: »
    It's also quite likely that RTÉ are at fault here in not keeping their apps updated across platforms. It's not like the player is a well maintained or looked after app, it barely works on a web browser.

Strange, the adds on the app are always seemless

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »

If RTE never updated their app, the OP could happiliy keep running it for the next 20 years. The issue here is the exact opposite to what you're saying, the OP is getting left behind precisely because they are updating the app. The OP's box cannot run the latest version of the app and RTE have withdrawn support for the older version that he is stuck with.

Advertisement