Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to pay in sterling. (Time and exchange rate)

• 22-05-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I'm buying a car for 15k sterling in Belfast.

I live in Dublin and the seller is insuring on bank transfer which is fair enough. I wouldn't want to travel north with this much cash anyway.

Is it more favourable to ask my bank (Ulster Bank) to make the payment.

OR

Would it be better if I drive to Danske Bank in Belfast and make a transfer into the person's account using my UB bank card?

Looking for a way of getting a good exchange rate and quick payment.

Thanks!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

I'm buying a car for 15k sterling in Belfast.

I live in Dublin and the seller is insuring on bank transfer which is fair enough. I wouldn't want to travel north with this much cash anyway.

Is it more favourable to ask my bank (Ulster Bank) to make the payment.

OR

Would it be better if I drive to Danske Bank in Belfast and make a transfer into the person's account using my UB bank card?

Looking for a way of getting a good exchange rate and quick payment.

Thanks!

Cheers

I'm not that well knowledgeable in this kind of stuff but Revolut would seem to fit the bill. Although i've never used it for a transaction as large as 15k so i'm not quite sure if Revolut would still be the best avenue in that instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I would second Revolut cheaper for conversion than a regular bank as they don't add a commission , and you can set up an alert to purchase GBP if it falls below a certain level.

Advertisement