Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

whatswhat wrote: »
    It was too small and cramped. Dealz might have effected them too, its a far bigger, nicer shop selling much the same things and some cheaper I found. I always had a good look around the old Mary's but had no interest in the tiny one.

Yeah, they're closed. Dealz saw them off

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Was in there again today, and noticed that off all the units across from TK Max, only one of them is occupied, by a hair dressers/barbers.

If we were to get a M&S in the Quay Side, they would probably have to take over them units as well as the mezzanine units, as well as some of the public space, without risking access to the carparks and toilets. One level being clothing and homeware, with the other being their foodstore.

Saying all that would not like to see existing stores closed for them, unless they were relocated for the same rate as they are on now, assuming the new space was more expensive.

From what I remember of conversations someone working for the centre last year, there would be a problem with ceiling heights for a supermarket in either the level opposite TK Maxx or the mezzanine level. There had been talks with Mace and M&S to take over the lower level but it fell through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The Body shop closed with a loss of 4 jobs, and The Velvet Room with a loss of almost 40.

Bad week for Sligo.

http://oceanfm.ie/2015/04/30/sligo-hit-by-further-job-losses-as-two-businesses-in-the-town-close/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The Body shop closed with a loss of 4 jobs, and The Velvet Room with a loss of almost 40.

Bad week for Sligo.

http://oceanfm.ie/2015/04/30/sligo-hit-by-further-job-losses-as-two-businesses-in-the-town-close/

Very sad news. Can't say I'm surprised with the Velvet Room closing they lost the whole crowd to Toffs when the recession hit. The had too high of entry fee and drinks in the place were way over-priced. Also the door staff were very arrogant in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I was in Carrick last week, I didn't see any empty retail units, but I did see Sligo people up doing their shopping, "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Bad week for Sligo.

The body shop was really an expensive shop, I've been there once in my life and I haven't seen life in it at all, only the girls who work there! Got a small face cream tube for €14. So not really suprised at the announcement to be honest.

The velvet is a suprising since it did do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I was in Carrick last week, I didn't see any empty retail units, but I did see Sligo people up doing their shopping, "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption".
    You should look a bit more next time! There's loads of empty retail spaces in Carrick if you look beyond the centre of the town.
    Unless you live nearer a town like Carrick there's no reason to travel there to do the weekly shopping. People will travel to other towns occasionally in order to check out special purchases they intend to make, ie ladies fashionwear.
    I don't think it's a surprise to many that those two businesses closed today.

Could you explain your "quotation" please?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Could you explain your "quotation" please?[/QUOTE]

Is it Robert Deniro in Cape Fear? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Vlove wrote: »
    The body shop was really an expensive shop, I've been there once in my life and I haven't seen life in it at all, only the girls who work there! Got a small face cream tube for €14. So not really suprised at the announcement to be honest.

The velvet is a suprising since it did do well!

They claimed the cost of the public liability insurance was too much, so they've closed up. Someone will take it on though. Yer man from 5th on teeling has a few places in town now, he might take it on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

There doesn't seem to be any room for provincial towns in this recovery. Are we all supposed to migrate to the southeast? Is that the grand plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Someone will take it on though. Yer man from 5th on teeling has a few places in town now, he might take it on

They've taken on the former Bella Vista in Strandhill afaik, it's being refurbished at present, assume they're aiming for a June bank holiday opening..http://www.facebook.com/TheDraftHouse

They claimed the cost of the public liability insurance was too much, so they've closed up.
    Which equates to 'we didn't have enough punters paying in to cover our overheads let alone make a profit'
    Maybe they should have stood back earlier and tried to find out what was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

red sean wrote: »
    Which equates to 'we didn't have enough punters paying in to cover our overheads let alone make a profit'
    Maybe they should have stood back earlier and tried to find out what was wrong.

Not necessarily, it was mentioned that there is no Irish companies offering public liability insurance and the UK companies jacked up the prices, which means they may have been profitable, but that's no longer the case with the new insurance costs.

Then all nightclubs are likely to close? Or just the unprofitable ones?
    It still comes down to punters through the door in large enough numbers to cover costs and make a profit.
    However, it's still strange no Irish Co's do PL ins for clubs.

It still comes down to punters through the door in large enough numbers to cover costs and make a profit.

Fair point but not knowing how the PL insurance market works I'd wonder if particular premises/sizes/capacity means different charges, I'd wonder would theirs be a lot higher than Toffs or the like for example, might explain things.

Insurance is always tricky and unpredictable I suppose. No two scenarios the same, premises, risk of potential claims, past claims etc.
    I heard about a year ago (from a supplier)the Velvet was in trouble before any mention of Ins cost.
    Not nice for the employees regardless what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

rizzodun wrote: »
    Not necessarily, it was mentioned that there is no Irish companies offering public liability insurance and the UK companies jacked up the prices, which means they may have been profitable, but that's no longer the case with the new insurance costs.

Rubbish. I work In this area. Plenty in the Irish market doing PL Insurance. They'll open again under another umbrella. Either that, or they're looking for a scapegoat.

Re previous post too why on earth would M&S come to Sligo. It's ruined. We are a town on the way to the gutter. Thanks to all those crowd in the chamber, as long as they are still breathing we will never ever grow while they look after their vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Something I'm sure everyone had an idea that Sligo was in pretty bad shape, the figures point it out as the worst in the country. It's only going to get worse too with the fallout over the whole Lisadell debacle. I completely agree with the owners of the estate that the people involved should have to foot the bill instead of the easy departure they got with quite generous and completely undeserved payoffs/pensions.
    in Q4 2014.. Sligo recorded the highest (vacant commercial units) at 16.5%.

https://www.geodirectory.ie/Home/Media/Continued-Decrease-In-Occupied-Commercial-Premises.aspx

Something I'm sure everyone had an idea that Sligo was in pretty bad shape, the figures point it out as the worst in the country. It's only going to get worse too with the fallout over the whole Lisadell debacle. I completely agree with the owners of the estate that the people involved should have to foot the bill instead of the easy departure they got with quite generous and completely undeserved payoffs/pensions.

https://www.geodirectory.ie/Home/Media/Continued-Decrease-In-Occupied-Commercial-Premises.aspx

Not sure what Lissadell has to do with it, Sligo developed a retail park, but wouldn't let businesses set up in it, two big shopping centres and were on for a third, without even planning how people would be able to get in or move about the town, bad planning and decisions everywhere. To think if the bust had been 3-4 years later we would've been stuck with another white elephant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The internet cafe in Stephen St is closed. Are there any internet cafes left in Sligo now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

The internet cafe in Stephen St is closed. Are there any internet cafes left in Sligo now?

Do think so, apart from the library where you have to be a member. They has to have internet access for members in the Westward centre as well as far as I can remember but I don't know if that's gone now as well.

It's not closed, just moving around to Holborn street, back open tomorrow. With the proliferation of smart phones and WiFi hotspots I'm surprised there's still a business for internet cafes myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Sligo, death by a thousand cuts, here are some of them.

1. Failure to retain period shop fronts(like Westport and Kilkenny) think Bellews, Wood and Iron, Johnstons, O Connor Brothers, Lyons on Hyde Bridge.
    Consequence the town centre built environment is a disaster

2. Failure to build a by pass(like every other Irish town and city) from Carraroe to Yeats Heights which world have acted as a ring road for local traffic and kept non local traffic out of town centre.
    Consequence town divided in two, traffic not much better, Sligo looks awful to anybody driving through. buildings of merit demolished, local community extinguished.

3.Failure to build a relief road along the quays from the town to said bypass, which would have opened up the area along the quays contiguous with the town centre for large scale retail, ie supermarkets.
    which leads to.

4. Out of town locations, ie Cranmore Road and Cleveragh zoned as town centre.
    Consequence hemorrhage of money and footfall from town centre.

5. Planning, more housing built in surrounding rural areas than Sligo.
    Consequence, proliferation of supermarkets in local villages and depopulation of urban area.

6. Rockwood Parade, developers allowed to erect buildings of sub standard design on the dictum of anything is better than nothing.
    Consequence, last golden opportunity for urban renewal thrown away.

7.The future - Last remaining urban asset, the Riverside to vandalised by the imposition of a bridge of outstanding ugliness.
    Consequence, some people make money, town centre relocates to the area mentioned in item 4 Cairns hill to be sliced in half by an access road.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

rizzodun wrote: »
    Not sure what Lissadell has to do with it, Sligo developed a retail park, but wouldn't let businesses set up in it, two big shopping centres and were on for a third, without even planning how people would be able to get in or move about the town, bad planning and decisions everywhere. To think if the bust had been 3-4 years later we would've been stuck with another white elephant!

I was on about future vacancy. The current rate of empty units is nearly all down to the decisions made by the council for zoning, which the chamber of commerce had a huge influence on. In fact I'd be willing to blame the chamber for about 90% of the empty units. It's not a surprise to see (I think) nearly all of the premises owned by the then chamber members still trading. The infrastructure was a disaster; an inner relief road? I don't know any other large town in the country that had one built, bar Dundalk. But that town was bypassed with the M1. So it's not even comparable to Sligo.

I would say it wont be long before you start to see the effects from this, but since I wrote my first comment on the matter all day parking went from €2.50 to €3, so it has already started. You might have noticed it under the guise of "Free Sunday parking". Hourly rates are going to go up too, I'm sure. Businesses are going to be squeezed for it too with rates. I can't see a lot of them deciding it's worth sticking round in a fairly average sized town.

I was on about future vacancy. The current rate of empty units is nearly all down to the decisions made by the council for zoning, which the chamber of commerce had a huge influence on. In fact I'd be willing to blame the chamber for about 90% of the empty units. It's not a surprise to see (I think) nearly all of the premises owned by the then chamber members still trading. The infrastructure was a disaster; an inner relief road? I don't know any other large town in the country that had one built, bar Dundalk. But that town was bypassed with the M1. So it's not even comparable to Sligo.

I would say it wont be long before you start to see the effects from this, but since I wrote my first comment on the matter all day parking went from €2.50 to €3, so it has already started. You might have noticed it under the guise of "Free Sunday parking". Hourly rates are going to go up too, I'm sure. Businesses are going to be squeezed for it too with rates. I can't see a lot of them deciding it's worth sticking round in a fairly average sized town.

We're coming from two sides of the same coin in that case, because I agree, but even if they hadn't lost their ass on the gamble that was Lissadell Sligo would still be in this mess.

To add to that, Lissadell have opened 8km of biking trails, with a further 12km to come, plans for soccer pitches and a BMX track, proof indeed the council should've stayed well out of something they had no business in, the new owners have been true to their promise of developing the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sligo, death by a thousand cuts, here are some of them.

Here's another one, common across Ireland - commercial rents are too high.

The lease on the Garavogue is 100,000 pa, nearly 2,000 per week.

In my opinion, that's too high.

Unit 1 in Johnston Court is 15,000 pa, this is the Vodafone unit according to the SC website.

Too much rent for such a small shop.

Koolkidz is 52k pa, or 1,000 per week - again too high in my opinion.

The Gateway Bar on Lord Edward street is 40,500 pa in rent - crazy, crazy high rents.

Sure of course businesses will close with these rents.

Unit 21a in Johnston Court is 62,500 pa, 2012 lease, that's 1,200 per week.

The SC website says that Jack and Jones shop is in unit 21a.

Is that a busy shop, could they sustain 1,200 per week in rent?

5200 per month.

I agree wholeheartedly those rents are extortionate.
    Those premises were bought/built in the expensive era that was the 'celtic tiger' years. So, owners are trying to claw back their mad borrowings/investment at the expense of the tenant and ultimately, the customer.
    Sligo is certainly not alone is this quagmire, it's another legacy of our then unregulated banking system.
    Thanks FF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Park Alley (cafe on corner of Cleveragh Retail Park) near Mothercare closed today.

Advertisement