Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sligo Rovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I would imagine groups like that have a life span of a few years. Lads get older and get jobs, girlfriends etc. Less time for painting banners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

SPM1959 wrote: »
    I would imagine groups like that have a life span of a few years. Lads get older and get jobs, girlfriends etc. Less time for painting banners.

Jesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I've been going to Rovers for about 8 years. They have not stopped yet, plus there are always ones coming through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Slightly off-topic but have Forza stopped doing their banners? First game in a while last night and was kind of looking forward to seeing what they were going to do.
    Still going but numbers are down. Many lads have emerged now and not as many younger boys willing to fly the flag (pardon the pun). Also as lads get older inevitably it's hard to make time for the hundreds of hours needed to make displays with marrage, kids, work responsibilities and so on.

Lost 2 nil to Derry in the League Cup. Season going to pot altogether.

:(

Anyone at the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Heary's folly in the transfer window has rebounded on him. Too many midfielders and forwards and not nearly enough depth to cover potential suspensions or injuries at the back (Peers came off injured btw).

If we suffer another defeat in Galway then I suspect that will be the end of the road for him.

Edit: Match winning goals....

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

He brought his mates down from dublin handy few euro they are dreadful at the moment.but can't see the club been able to afford to sack him things are bad.
    And it's rotten when jake Dykes is in the squad he would bot get a start with any decent junior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

sligono1 wrote: »
    And it's rotten when jake Dykes is in the squad he would bot get a start with any decent junior team.

Who else do you play there? He's proved just as good as Ledwith. He's there by necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

R_overs1 wrote: »
    Who else do you play there? He's proved just as good as Ledwith. He's there by necessity.
    Regan Donelon is a better left back than Dykes but he was loaned out because his father isn't the assistant manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Hi guys, I just have a few quick questions about Baraclough if anyone would be kind enough to answer.

Was he any good? Or was it just the players? You seemed to be improving under Cook with 3rd and 2nd plus two cups in the years before he arrived. Was it just good timing on his part?

Was he well-liked? Did it end on good terms? What kinda manager was he? Tactically, did he set his team up in a specific or recognisable way? At Motherwell, he seems to be an old-fashioned 4-4-2 and longs balls to the strikers (one big guy, one little guy) and with speedy wingers going down the line (none of this cutting inside nonsense). Would that sound familiar or is he just working with what he has at Motherwell.

Any and all help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

The man is a gent. But his natural instinct is to play a cautious brand of football. The Rovers side that won the league in 2012 was the perfect blend of Cook's free - flowing footballing philosophy with the addition of Baraclough's pragmatism. After a while he molded a side more in his own image and it was more a case of function over style.

He's been in the job for a while over there, so you must be getting a feel for his style of management at this stage?

Cheers! That all sounds familiar. He's settled on a fairly direct 4-4-2 from very early on although the previous manager was similarly cautious so it wasn't clear if he was building his own team/style or just working with the players at his disposal. He's done a quite well but a relegation play-off looks likely now. He's always come across really well - he does a strange amount of work for BT covering the other relegation candidates' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Was he any good?

He won three major trophies in his time with us but also managed to steadily undo the good work he had done in gradually signing players who were miles off the mark of the ones they had replaced. The players we lost, left for bigger money at other clubs really. But his eye for a player was very questionable. Failed to get the best out of players including Dave McMillan and Sean Maguire who are both firing on all cylinders at different clubs. He was a bit too pally with the players too and seemed to introduce an air of complacency and lack of motivation which is still instilled in the club today.
    When he left, John Coleman cleared out a lot of the players who simply didn't want to pull their weight.

Was he well-liked? Did it end on good terms?

Yes and yes, although he left quite a few poor players behind.
    What kinda manager was he? Tactically, did he set his team up in a specific or recognisable way?

Usually went 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-3 towards the end of his stint here. Was too fond of playing players out of position. Tended to be overly cautious a lot of the time which pissed off a lot of supporters. Loved to play three defensive midfielders at once which made for a terrible spectacle.

The two centre mids he uses these days barely ever look to attack either. Fans seem to have taken to him although results have stalled somewhat and a relegation playoff is likely so hard to evaluate him properly.

Thanks for the insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

He landed at the club at the right time, momemtum was already there from Paul Cook(he left the club to take over at Accrington Stanley) Life is often about timing, right place right time etc. A total gentleman but I'd bet umpteen other guys would a have done a similer job at rovers at that time. He had luck in the cup final with Drogheda, the ref did us a few favours. All successful managers need a bit of luck and Ian Barraclough was no different, the current rovers boss hasn't had much yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

5th on Teeling are giving away 2 tickets to all remaining home games over on Facebook page to anyone on here interested. Get out and support Irish soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

thebuzz wrote: »
    Regan Donelon is a better left back than Dykes but he was loaned out because his father isn't the assistant manager.
    while i havnt seen ye this year, Donelon isnt even starting for us in the first division. Came on as a sub v shels (and looked alright) but not getting that much game time...

Then again, never heard any good stuff about Dykes!

overshoot wrote: »
    while i havnt seen ye this year, Donelon isnt even starting for us in the first division. Came on as a sub v shels (and looked alright) but not getting that much game time...

Then again, never heard any good stuff about Dykes!

How's Keating getting on?

How's Keating getting on?
    good just the 2 so far. started well then missed a few through injury so hasnt had a clean run at it so far. back again now so will see how it goes.
    McHugh is playing his best for years and Tagbo also looks an excellent signing so he wouldnt be guaranteed a start either (but most likely would if all fit, with McHugh coming on towards the end)

Keating & Donelan werent allowed play in the cup at the weekend so I imagine they are being recalled.
    Keating will definitely need replacing, Donelan didnt get too much game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

should look at , should things go belly-up with Heary.

Pays to look overseas!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/25/sheffield-united-sack-manager-nigel-clough

That would be a coup to erase the hurried exit of I.B.

Pays to look overseas!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/25/sheffield-united-sack-manager-nigel-clough

Damien Duff looking for new club as well. A name like Clough could tempt him away from the East Coast.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Damien Duff looking for new club as well. A name like Clough could tempt him away from the East Coast.

too late ;)

not arsed resizing so have a link

overshoot wrote: »

I did see that the other day, anyone any good and doing one of him in a Sligo shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Pays to look overseas!

Do you honestly think Clough would go to any loI club?
    Baraclough's exit should have been more hurried than it was!

Heary is staying for the duration anyway. We simply don't have the money to pay him off - so we're stuck with him for better or worse.

Also, here's hoping he gives Keating a decent run out when returns from Harps. We could use a bit of his enthusiasm up front. I don't think he'll score an awful lot, but we need someone in attack who is prepared to put in the leg work and chase every ball.

Offloading Nieson would also be a bonus. He's been nothing but a passenger since the real work started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hearys contract has been terminated so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Plazaman wrote: »
    Hearys contract has been terminated so I'm told.
    Any link??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

red sean wrote: »
    Any link??

I'm following news on the twitter machine nothing official as of yet but the Rovers After Match Banter page on Facebook have it up. Official announcement expected later today if link below is true.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/6491759/Its-Rover-and-out-for-Heary.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-IrishSunSport-_-20150608-_-SunIESoccer-_-190035005

• Advertisement

The club will be financially ruined at the rate we're paying off sacked managers.

Advertisement