Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Installation

• 17-04-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a tradesperson that could install an electric shower in an upstairs bathroom? I'd prefer if the one person done the plumbing and electrics themselves.

Also if anyone could advise what price range I should expect to pay. I was quoted €720 which included a shower for €270. Seemed very steep. Anyhoo cheers for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

What the F! How much!! maybe there's a lot of work plumbing etc? I'll send a PM with a phone number...Polish guy, great reports about him. Best get a few quotes anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That job entails connection to the electrical dist. board, so you will need a registered electrician as well as a plumber.

http://www.safeelectric.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Cheers K. Thanks too Red, I also have been instructed that 2 electric showers cannot run at the same time in one house unless you have some form of nuclear generator out the back. An selection switch also needs to be installed that will kill power to one or the other so the two won't run together. This is a bigger job than I thought.

Thats correct Plazaman, and that control relay is about €200 alone!

@Plazaman. Did my contact give you that advice?

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    That job entails connection to the electrical dist. board, so you will need a registered electrician as well as a plumber.

http://www.safeelectric.ie/

@Red Sean: Could you advise please: When Plazaman said "electric shower" I'm assuming you would have known that to be a shower that draws on cold water and heats it (?). (I wouldn't have that knowledge of different showers and their description).

In the case of a mixer shower for example, which uses the existing household hot water supply, would that still need to be connected to the distribution board?

Thanks for any advice/opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Kettleson wrote: »
    @Plazaman. Did my contact give you that advice?

No didn't chat to him yet, it was the first crowd I talked too that mentioned it but seems to be a standard fitting per the thread over in Electrical.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055595071

This would be for 2 electric showers. If you have one of them a mixer shower where the water comes from mains (cold) and immersion (hot), its not needed.

Thanks for that. I was basing my initial reaction to the price on when I got a single mixer shower fitted. Yours is a more expensive job for sure.

All showers should ideally have their own RCBO protection in the dist. board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

red sean wrote: »
    All showers should ideally have their own RCBO protection in the dist. board.

There's no "should ideally" about it. They must have their own RCBO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Plazaman wrote: »
    Cheers K. Thanks too Red, I also have been instructed that 2 electric showers cannot run at the same time in one house unless you have some form of nuclear generator out the back. An selection switch also needs to be installed that will kill power to one or the other so the two won't run together. This is a bigger job than I thought.

Either a priority or a non priority shower unit you need. think they are about €120

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also the electrical cable is a significant cost as well.

When you consider the costs of the cable, shower and priority switch you could be up to 500 Euro for materials.

So you are looking at 220 labour for the labour to include running cables and pipework.

Does not seem to steep to me.

Advertisement