Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tooway kbo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

zg3409 wrote: »
    My concern if on the basic pack of 10GB per month, may only allow:

Say for example Netflix
    “Good quality” consumes up to 0.3 GB per hour, “Better quality” burns up to 0.7 GB per hour, and “Best quality” consumes up to 1 GB per hour for standard definition or 2.3 GB per hour for HD.

- I use good quality as there is no difference between good and hd quality in netflix. I'm using about 2 hours a day=60 hours a month

So say you use best quality. That means after 10 hours netflex in a month, you have your limit reached. That's fine for a few movies, watching youtube but not really practical for heavy downloads.

Some streaming services do not give an option on quality.

If the unlimited is say really 40GB, you get 4 times the amount, but possibly throttles during peak times.

unlimited is 250 GIG
    How much traffic do you use in a month? How many hours movie streaming. Personally I use 200GB average, but I would be a high user.

I use about 35 GIG a month

If you have no other option then it is quite high peak speeds. As more and more users are added over the years it will slow a little. However I would not encourage users to start watching movies regularly, or they could find the "fair access policy" or the monthly limit hit them hard.

As i said, i watch about 2 hours of netflix a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thykingdomcome

i rang kbo recently re watching movies / downloading etc and they advised me to move to their unlimited package. there are new packages available recently from KBO and they seem to be much better than the old ones, as i said in a previous thread, the unlimited is expensive but i have alot of downloads to do every day for work and the unlimited packages at night did not suit me as i needed unlimited during the day also. i found if you call up and haggle a little at KBO there are fairly flexible, having said that i am with them a while now and i am sure they didn't want to let me go. :rolleyes:
    if you are going for satellite i would recommend shopping around but definitely try and get a chat going when you call up, companies can be very flexible now as the competition seems to be increasing with satellite broadband providers now.
    has anybody got the phone / VoiP with the tooway satellite broadband, is this worth trying....it seems to be good value....

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Muilleann

Got in KBO broadband couple of weeks ago on basic package costing 40 Euro per month.

It's not a whole lot faster than what we had before with G modem/dongle but at least it doesn't crash out.

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Connection stays up with Satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I recently upgraded to the 54.95 package and it gives me everything I need, it may look expensive compared to the landline packages but I don't have that option, the service is excellent, you get what it says and consistently , I have had it now for 2 years and not 1 outage!! And there is always someone at the end of the telephone to give you prompt response to any query you might have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

I recently upgraded to the 54.95 package and it gives me everything I need, it may look expensive compared to the landline packages but I don't have that option, the service is excellent, you get what it says and consistently , I have had it now for 2 years and not 1 outage!! And there is always someone at the end of the telephone to give you prompt response to any query you might have

I smell salesman

bealtine wrote: »
    I smell salesman

I can assure you I have absolutely nothing to do with KBO
    Am just giving credit to where it's due

I have the basic 40 Euro p/m package.

Got it in to replace basic 3 package as it kept "crashing".

Have found it very good ie reception is much better and consistent and doesn't crash at all.

On one occasion had no reception missus simply rang KBO local guy who told her exactly what to do so agree that KBO people are accessible,friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Muilleann wrote: »
    On one occasion had no reception missus simply rang KBO local guy who told her exactly what to do so agree that KBO people are accessible,friendly and helpful.

What exactly was the problem and what was needed to fix it?

zg3409 wrote: »
    What exactly was the problem and what was needed to fix it?

Just went dead and your man in KBO told herself to switch off and "reboot" and it worked.

• Advertisement

I upgraded in the last 2 months to 50euro package , which has worked out very well for until recently.It seems there is a very serious contention issue that has cropped up in the last 2 weeks.I am only getting 2-3 mbs instead of around 20 mbs as I was getting, this has to get sorted in Italy and its taking some time

Just getting a little concerned

Anyone else having similar problems and what are you being told?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Can you check your readings from:
    http://192.168.100.1 (click link)

and make sure everything is green, and the online time is very high.
    261246.jpg

My system is not registered so I cannot do speed tests. The system was not used as it would not work with company VPNs presumably due to long ping times, and so some systems would not work over the link.

Can you also keep a record of how much you download etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

hi,

are any of you getting your phone with this?

I'm with eircom, signed up for 2mb, but getting 1, no other options for me as not in wireless coverage, 3 or 2 g, and miles from any exchange.Living 3 miles from Ballyvourney so will never see fibre. The only positive is that it's unlimited.

Problem is that my kids are growing up, using youtube etc, which means every time there's more than 1 of us on the computer, it's useless.

Now i can configure what i need to download at night and none of us will be gaming, so would this be any use to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

tinner777 wrote: »
    hi,

I'm with eircom, signed up for 2mb, but getting 1, no other options for me as not in wireless coverage, 3 or 2 g, and miles from any exchange.Living 3 miles from Ballyvourney so will never see fibre. The only positive is that it's unlimited.

Problem is that my kids are growing up, using youtube etc, which means every time there's more than 1 of us on the computer, it's useless.

Now i can configure what i need to download at night and none of us will be gaming, so would this be any use to me?

Did you try DigitalForge or permanet?

http://www.digitalforge.ie/
    http://www.permanet.ie/

yes i'm not in their coverage by a few hundred meters, emailed them.

hi,

I think satellite is your only option, I get 10-15mgs download and 20 gigs per month allowance. And can download from 11-7am without affecting my allowance, this costs me about 55e per month and you have a choice of Sat companies - I use KBO, check their website

I think satellite is your only option, I get 10-15mgs download and 20 gigs per month allowance. And can download from 11-7am without affecting my allowance, this costs me about 55e per month and you have a choice of Sat companies - I use KBO, check their website

hi rob,

do you use it to watch streams?

If you mean YouTube - yes[

quote="tinner777;85831973"]hi rob,

do you use it to watch streams?[/quote]

hows about football streams or torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

im on the tooway unlimited package,

its great if your on early in the am, and up to mid-day, then speeds start going downhill, by 8 pm the speeds crawl to 1.5 meg download.

I suggest anyone on tooway to run tests and you will see the same, all the providers , kbo,digiweb,onwave and avonlline use the same satellite and provider skylogic.

what has happened is the system is over-loaded with users now and there is more demand for the service than supply. which means the system will only keep getting slower and slower as they continue to sell packages.

• Advertisement

A+-Guru wrote: »
    im on the tooway unlimited package,

its great if your on early in the am, and up to mid-day, then speeds start going downhill, by 8 pm the speeds crawl to 1.5 meg download.

I suggest anyone on tooway to run tests and you will see the same, all the providers , kbo,digiweb,onwave and avonlline use the same satellite and provider skylogic.

what has happened is the system is over-loaded with users now and there is more demand for the service than supply. which means the system will only keep getting slower and slower as they continue to sell packages.

I understand the have stopped the unlimited package and are monitoring the clients that are already on it and will take them off the system if they are considered 'abusers' what ever usage that is
    I have the 20 mbs download and went thru a very bad period for about 3 weeks but this has improved in the last 2 weeks the lowest I have received is about 5 mbs but mostly over 10
    Limerick tell me the system will be improving gradually

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KBO Satellite Broadband

The operators of the satellite, Skylogic, have recitfied the matter in the last couple of weeks so this has improved the speeds for everyone on the network and we are assured the recent issues will not occur again. It was a result of the unlimited options been introduced on to the Irish Satellite beam and was a mistake on their part. Satellite broadband is mainly a method of getting your browsing speeds improved and not really an option when you are getting into the 'unlimited allowance' area. Just to clarify this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

hello,

I am sorry but you are so wrong, the service has not been fixed..

from late afternoon on the speeds drop, and by night-time the speeds are brutal.

I have been running tests every day through-out the day and everyday has the exact same pattern and speeds.

here's a screen-shot of my test last night. do you want me to post up more speedtest pics ?

What I think has happened is that skylogic have recently sold a huge chunk of beam bandwidth to skydsl, which has overloaded the system with new users than the satellite can handle resulting in slow speeds, its a matter of the product has been over-sold. each beam can only support a certain amount of users.

We are only going on the feedback we are gettin from our customers, I do not want to enter into a specific issue you may be having re your speeds on this forum. All I can say is that the reports we are getting back over the last few weeks have been positive in the majority of cases. If you are a customer, we would be very happy to have a look at your issue if you email the support centre and we can take it from there.

hi,

Nice place Ballyvourney,stop off in the Mills whenever I can.

Could well imagine you'd have poor coverage down there.

Mind you in some remote areas of Tipp eg Ballingarry & Goatenbridge they have full Eircom broadband!

I find KBO quite good but we just use it for the basic stuff anyway.

How're Naomh Aban going this year?

Plaxton,
    All IP addresses are now Irish for the last couple of years.
    I hope this has been resolved for you since this posting.
    KBO Satellite Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

I'm on the Tooway absolute package with Digiweb and the service is nothing short of a disgrace. I pay over 100 a month for broadband that rarely gets above 1.5 down and every-time I contact support they say congestion and wash their hands of it. If you dont have sufficient bandwidth to serve people then you shouldn't be selling your product

• Registered Users Posts: 12 otisleeomal

I am having my problems with the KBO service. Speed slows down dramatically at certain times to being unusable, have a faulty wifi box which was purchased from them for which they were to send me a replacement 8 weeks ago and counting. Ringing customer service and vainly awaiting reply is pretty trying on the patience! At fifty something euro a month its been a poor investment on my part, the hit and miss mobile broadband at twenty euro a month was no worse a service.

Advertisement