Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest scandal in your workplace (Mod Note in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t of the highest order.

Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

banie01 wrote: »
    Whoosh!

This one time, at work camp.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

At another company, the CEO went to Vegas and in true, bad movie form, spent $30k on strippers, drugs and alcohol, and charged it to the company credit card so his wife wouldn't find out. It was fun watching the CFO try to figure out ways he could pay the company back discretely.

How do you buy drugs in the States on a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

gman2k wrote: »

I don't these stories have to be true or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Place my mate used to work in.

One bloke was the guy who collected the lotto syndicate money from the rest of the staff and was to do the same numbers each week.

A few of years later, one of the members of staff suspected her set came up and when she came into work on the Monday, checked and sure enough, her set of numbers came up.

Much elation in the office ensued until the bloke who did the lotto...... admitted that he didn't do the lotto, and hadn't been doing it for some time - he pocketed the money instead.

Frankly, I would have been done for murder, but for some reason this guy kept his job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

gman2k wrote: »

Cannabis has been legal since 2017 so could be bought on credit card. I actually know a guy who got a load of cannabis edibles in the hospitality package in his hotel when a company over there was hosting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

blackwhite wrote: »
    Was a manager there at the time - one of the girls on the list was working on an audit for me the day the story broke. Don’t think I’ve had a morning like that since.

To be fair - once the initial shock of seeing her face on the front page of national newspapers wore off she was quite happy with the €€€ that the firm gave her and the others in compensation immediately afterwards. A few grand for being told you’re better looking that your peers - how bad! (Her words, not mine)

I remember the firm being majorly pissed off with INM at the time - story was reported that morning but nobody published the pics. Then the Evening Herald came out that evening with the 10 ladies on the front page - all whilst there was an audit team from the firm out in INM offices

Know the guy that did it, he's getting on fine now work wise! There was 13 girls on the list, always says it was a voting process to make the top 10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Know the guy that did it, he's getting on fine now work wise! There was 13 girls on the list, always says it was a voting process to make the top 10 :D

If I remember correctly, his punishment was to be suspended on full pay until it blew over?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

The Phantom Sh*tter, without a doubt. I've been lucky I guess.

Do we... do we work for the same company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

blackwhite wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, his punishment was to be suspended on full pay until it blew over?

Was very stupid to get caught. Those “types” of emails had been going around for years.

Another of the “Big 4” had one that was formatted in such a way that the girls pictures were randomly shuffled into a head to head “knockout” competition.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I worked in billing Dept of a electricity provider years ago, the head guy was putting credit on everyone's bills, all his family, his friends. 6 figure fraud apparently.
    He went out on sick leave for a couple months, that's when they noticed there wasn't so much billing "errors" and his scam was uncovered.
    I came in the morning he was due back and there was 2 gaurds waiting for him. 6 others were sacked aswell as he had credited their bills over the years to the tune of thousands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Another of the “Big 4†that was formatted in such a way that the girls pictures were randomly shuffled into a head to head “knockout†competition.

A lovely girls tournament. Someone should get onto Omackeral to set that up :pac:

No scandals my end weirdly. Someone had their handbag stolen in the office alright. It was found downstairs minus all cash and cards so was defo someone we work with but didn't hear anyone getting done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Was very stupid to get caught. Those “types” of emails had been going around for years.

Another of the “Big 4” had one that was formatted in such a way that the girls pictures were randomly shuffled into a head to head “knockout” competition.

Think it only got caught when people started sending it outside of the office, he didn't get caught himself but was traced back to him I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

1. I worked in a small newagents in Dublin City where there was only a handfull of staff. We noticed that there were some boxes of bars downstairs opened as we were never allowed to leave open boxes of goods downstairs they had to be packed onto the shelves. We then noticed that one of the much heavier set staff would do 12 ghour shifts but never ate a lick of brekky or lunch etc.
    The boss noticed the bars were all being taken and eaten where there was a blindspot on the CCTV downstairs he put in a hidden camera on the blindspot and saw your man over the course of a week ate a box of snickers and a box of twixes (about 50 separate bars). Needless to say he was sacked that week.

2. Friend got me a temp job years ago in a small tech manufacturers. The direct line manager was an epic stoner and when we were at the xmas party we the 3 of us went out for some happy chill time cigarettes.
    I had gone to the jax and on my way back out I noticed my friend standing there surrounded by the direct line manager and 2 managing driectors being berrated for smoking a spliff and "tarnishing the pristeen name of **** Ltd"
    Turns out the direct line manager saw them coming and decided to save his own skin and throw my friend under the bus and pretended he'd caught him doing this. My friends entire life in the place was then constantly under the microscope until he felt he had to leave. His direct line manager felt so guilty he admitted what had happened to his boss after my friend left the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Girl I worked with in a Bank slept her way to the top. She started working in the bank the same day as me, she threw herself at management staff at a work party and then started dating one of the management staff. 5 months passed and she was a supervisor, then she moved to a team leader 6 months after that. At this stage I was still a customer service jockey at the bottom of the pile. Obvious as a heart attack what went on here. Blond girl, nice body.. It was a case of WHO SHE KNEW and not what she knew...
    Believe me, this sort of thing still goes on in big companies. It's not the first time I seen a young pretty girl jumping up the ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

mondeo wrote: »
    Girl I worked with in a Bank slept her way to the top. She started working in the bank the same day as me, she threw herself at management staff at a work party and then started dating one of the management staff. 5 months passed and she was a supervisor, then she moved to a team leader 6 months after that. At this stage I was still a customer service jockey at the bottom of the pile. Obvious as a heart attack what went on here. Blond girl, nice body.. It was a case of WHO SHE KNEW and not what she knew...
    Believe me, this sort of thing still goes on in big companies. It's not the first time I seen a young pretty girl jumping up the ranks.
    Maybe you should have done the same? If I could sleep my way to the top as a man I would.

Also I am too immature to resist this FYP....

It was a case of WHO SHE BLEW and not what she knew...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

... Obvious as a heart attack what went on here. Blond girl, nice body.. It was a case of WHO SHE KNEW and not what she knew...

Probably a big supporter of the #MeToo movement now
    Guy Person wrote: »
    Maybe you should have done the same? If I could sleep my way to the top as a man I would.

I would as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I was standing in the reception area of a company I worked in one morning when 2 plain clothes gardai came in. Asked for the IT Manager. The receptionist was a temp and didn't know what to do, so I stepped in, introduced myself, called the IT and HR managers. Both arrived and disappeared off into a meeting room.

A few minutes later, I was instructed to go retrieve a PC from under a desk on the office floor and do it discreetly. I worked in desktop support so no one would suspect anything.

After I brought it back to the reception area, it was put in an evidence bag and the 2 gardai left.

Turned out, the user of the PC was a convicted paedophile from the UK and had "forgotten" to mention this in the interview and also forgot to mention to his parole officer in the UK that he was leaving the country.

The guy had been arrested at his home that morning and the Gardai were collecting evidence on his activities.

Didn't know the guy that well but he seemed like a fairly pleasant guy, friendly enough to chat to when I saw him in the office kitchen. I was truly shocked at it all tbh.

Hear of all sorts of nasty things happening to people I know at work but thankfully that's the only major nasty thing I ever came across at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Snotty wrote: »
    I had a summer job years ago with a small drinks manufacturer, kind of a family business where some of the employees had been with them so long they were almost family. Years later I heard one of the main employees, really nice guy who had been working for them for 35 years, got sick with cancer. One of the other guys stepped into his shoes but after a few weeks realised something was very wrong and went to the owner.
    He'd do some small delivery's to places and collect payments (usually cheques) at the end of the month, but when he was delivering the customer would always be correcting the documentation he had, he'd have this customer receiving 2 cases a week on average but they'd say they always got more, then sometimes the customer would pay in cash and he'd wonder why they didn't pay with cheque and the answer was always, the previous guy insisted on cash. They estimated he had stolen hundreds of thousands, but seen he was ill and his family were almost like their own family, the bosses just said to forget about it and it was never mentioned again.

Not my work but a relation of my mother's was a Guard in Galway and was caught shagging a married woman in a patrol car by the husband, it had been going on for awhile and this night he followed them, seemingly he did extensive damage to the patrol car and when the senior guards found out they gave this guard the option of retiring right now and no further disciplinary, he obviously took it. Was too large to keep quiet and his lost his wife and family.

I like the Gaurds in Ireland. I imagine if a patrol car was damaged in America, things would have ended quite differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The Aer Lingus people smuggling case.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/aer-lingus-ground-handler-jailed-for-people-smuggling-1.3383376%3fmode=amp

He told investigators that the operation was linked to a man in China. He identified a number of Western Union transfers of cash, totalling around €6,000, from China and said he and his co-accused got up to €3,000 for each smuggling operation.

He told gardaí he spent the money on pints of Guinness.

What a legend. Paddy Losty would shake this man's hand for spending his proceeds of crime on Pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Said this before on here....
    But about 10 years ago I worked in a well known cinema in Dublin. I would work along side another girl all day and we became friends. There was this big vibe from other employees towards her. Basically they were blanking her. Then same employees started acting weird to me. Also blanking me.

So I ask her whats going on and she tells me that the manager (whose wife had recently gave birth to their first child) and herself had an affair. She was 19yo at the time. He was mid to late 30s looking back. They were caught wearing the face off each other in a pub. IIRC a pub quite close to the job.

I only lasted about 2 months or so in the job but the wife didn't find out. I stopped talking to the girl too. Turned out to be bit of a backstabber. Shocker huh? Girl who sleeps with an attached bloke turns out to be not the nicest of people.

Looking back, always found it weird that they were blanking me too. I was johnny come lately who didn't know anything :pac: But according to the girl in question "everyone can tell we're friends in this job and you're guilty by association because you talk to me" - all a bunch of as*holes looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Happened a lot in one of the big utility providers here, one girl had all the male higher ups drooling over her, she wasnt even in the place a year and got promoted, pissed a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

everlast75 wrote: »
    Place my mate used to work in.

One bloke was the guy who collected the lotto syndicate money from the rest of the staff and was to do the same numbers each week.

A few of years later, one of the members of staff suspected her set came up and when she came into work on the Monday, checked and sure enough, her set of numbers came up.

Much elation in the office ensued until the bloke who did the lotto...... admitted that he didn't do the lotto, and hadn't been doing it for some time - he pocketed the money instead.

Frankly, I would have been done for murder, but for some reason this guy kept his job.

I've heard this before, it's a myth..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why do finance guys get away with this sh*t ?

If that were an IT guy his life would be over by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Slightly O/T but as shown by a few of these: often fraud comes to light as soon as someone isn't there to keep a lid on it. As such, most banks have it as a policy that all senior staff must take a minimum 2 week holiday during the year (to give someone else a chance to discover if they're running a scam).

I had an interesting experience in college when a new lecturer casually mentioned during a lecture that he used to work for he same bank as my father. Asked my dad if he knew the chap to be told not to let him know who my dad was. While on an internal audit team early in his career, my dad had caught your man on the take and indirectly fired him!

One of the emails in previous years originated from the IT department (they're the one's who put the photos into the staff directory after all!). Never a peep about it until the year the papers got their hands on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d say that’s largely down to a “discrimination” based on appearance, H.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Sleepy wrote: »
    Slightly O/T but as shown by a few of these: often fraud comes to light as soon as someone isn't there to keep a lid on it. As such, most banks have it as a policy that all senior staff must take a minimum 2 week holiday during the year (to give someone else a chance to discover if they're running a scam).

I had an interesting experience in college when a new lecturer casually mentioned during a lecture that he used to work for he same bank as my father. Asked my dad if he knew the chap to be told not to let him know who my dad was. While on an internal audit team early in his career, my dad had caught your man on the take and indirectly fired him!

I think you are wrong here.

The two week rule is for Employee welfare & health

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You're very trusting in the altruism of capitalists! ;)

• Advertisement

The welfare & health regulations are that employees must be allowed to take 2 weeks' continuous leave.

Banks and financial institutions have anti-fraud guidelines that employees in certain roles must take a minimum 2 continuous weeks' leave every year.

Advertisement