Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

To be honest all i want is good off piste snowboarding! I tend to be they type to stick beers in my backpack rather then pay in the pubs on the slopes!(i drink quite a bit while i board) I never eat out and just pack a sandwich! I am the ultimate budget boarding bum haha! I try and find accomo where i can cook in the evenings and spend what i do have for Aprés. Once the powder is good i'm a happy camper.

There is cheap ways to do every resort! Trust me it's how I have to do them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

So far that has panned out to be true! So far...

I tend to stay away from package jobs and do it myself, usualy saves a bit on the flights but generally its reflected in the accommodation i end up in ha! Myself and one other have been to a good few resorts over the last few seasons and always wind up in a box more or less, which as you can imagine with two large men and there damp sweaty gear can become grim toward the end of a trip! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Fattes wrote: »
    Wow lovely inverse snobbery there!! Ischgel regularly features
    In the too 20 resorts in the world. The price premium is for the ski terrain and lift infrastructure not the bars.

Plenty of old world Austrian charm left in the village away from the posh spots

Lol!! You are entirely missing the point. Nobody is saying they want to go to Ischgl, in fact the current discussion is about NOT wanting to go to Ischgl. It doesn't matter either way to me where people go, I'm just giving my tuppenceworth, as requested.

Feel free to start a thread on Ischgl or any other resort, as previously advised by the mods :-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Lol!! You are entirely missing the point. go, I'm just giving my tuppenceworth, as requested.

Feel free to start a thread on Ischgl or any other resort, as previously advised by the mods :-)

No need your tuppence worth contained many inaccuracies and inverse snobbery about a resort which were misleading and I provided a more balanced view.

Heyyy no need to argue... i'm sorry i said anything now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Never saw or heard of a rope race Fanny, how does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Fattes wrote: »
    No need your tuppence worth contained many inaccuracies and inverse snobbery about a resort which were misleading and I provided a more balanced view.

I go away for a week and asked the lord for one thing... :mad: .. the prayer obviously didn't work .. ahwell

looking at soll now ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm time to open the piggy bank .. gotta go there for a week

Spacecowboy don't worry, this is a regular occurrance ;-)

Loobylou the roperace is basically a downhill race with three people (on skis, blades, monoskis, snowboards, or whatever they want) navigating a slalom course while all tied together with a rope. Absolutely hilarious, you've never seen a faceplant like a roperace faceplant- esp when it's three big fast (drunk!) guys! ;-)

As for you D-Don, I reckon you'll fit right in ;-)

image90.jpg

More of today:

image89.jpg

image88.jpg

• Advertisement

Spacecowboy don't worry, this is a regular occurrance ;-)

Loobylou the roperace is basically a downhill race with three people (on skis, blades, monoskis, snowboards, or whatever they want) navigating a slalom course while all tied together with a rope. Absolutely hilarious, you've never seen a faceplant like a roperace faceplant- esp when it's three big fast (drunk!) guys! ;-)

As for you D-Don, I reckon you'll fit right in ;-)

image90.jpg

coppppppppppppppppy cat " !! i set the trend and they all follow ... mod change me name to GOD please :D

D-Don, as requested! Also no harm to move this info into this thread :-)

Flights:
    Munich: Aer Lingus, 2 flights daily Mon-Sun, morning and evening.
    Salzburg: Ryanair 2 flights weekly, Sat & Sun.

Airport Transfers:From Salzburg: info@andis-taxi.com or office@ski-transfer-salzburg.at
    From Munich: www.tirol-taxi.at or http://www.loackertours.at

Trains:
    www.db.ie
    www.oebb.at/en/

Take train to Kufstein (or Worgl), and then taxi to Soll. Kufstein is closest to Soll, so will be cheapest for taxi transfer.

Accommodation:
    Email tourist office http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/, give them dates, numbers & requirements and they'll respond with a list of available accommodation.

Lift Pass:http://www.skiwelt.at/en/normal-tariff.html. Can be bought in Snow & Fun next door to Salvenstadtl (after your third beer when you arrive), or at the kasse at the gondola station the next morning ;-)

Ski school/Private Lessons/Touring/Telemarking/Guiding:http://www.skischule-soell.com/skischule-ski-school-snowboard-soll-skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-tirol-austria-en/15

Equipment Hire:http://www.snowfun.biz/en/ (Next door to Salven Stadtl Pub, gives online discount on hire, Martin Steinbacher is an excellent boot fitter if you're thinking of buying, you can also buy your lift pass and book ski-school here)

http://www.sport-edinger.at/index.ph...to-go/Skinacht (Underneath Gondola, also excellent fully-serviced ski garage with heated boot storage)

Equipment Storage:
    http://www.sport-edinger.at/index.ph...to-go/Skinacht (As above, best storage in town, located underneath gondel station. Staffed by a flock of very pretty Essex boys, who provide random impromptu entertainment)

Apres-ski:

Salven Stadtl: Main meeting point for apres,outdoor heated beer area, , free wifi, live music, DJ Glenn (as seen on Kavos Uncovered, lol), breakfast rolls & tea from 8am, BBQ steak semmels (excellent soakage) outside from 3pm, pizza from 8pm, home of the 'Hammer Game', where groups of very drunk people swing a hammer at a nail in an upturned tree trunk for hours on end, endless varieties of shots and lots of ridiculousness :-)

Dubliner Bar: Great new Irish bar in the Red Horse, run by an Irish bro & sis from Meath. Great Guinness & Whiskey, opens at 6pm and hopping from 10pm till the early hours...

Underground Bar: You'll see Dave from the Underground out on the slopes during the day with his camera, and then he'll play the videos on the big screen in the bar later on so you can rip the p*ss out of your mates over a few beers/jagers while you watch each other fall over repeatedly. Also home of the crocodile game ;-)

Umbrella bar: For people who have progressed to the middle station, yay! The umbrella bar is opposite the entrance to the Grundlalm at the middlestation, and is usually heaving by 3pm. After you have your jagers, leave the empty bottle on the windowsills & watch them build up as your holiday progresses. If you are not a confident skier, try to remember the last gondel down leaves at 5pm. Otherwise you will have to wait for the piste-machines to clear the home run, and then ski down drunk. And scared. LOL!! ;-)

Toboggan Run:A must. Great fun, rent your toboggan at the gondel station (different speeds & types to choose from), and then hurl yourself down the mountain on the dedicated 11km toboggan run. Wear solid footwear, waterproof trousers and close the snowskirt inside your jacket. Best avoided if you have a bad back ;-)

Night skiing & Tobogganing:Wed - Sat from 18.30 - 21.30
    http://www.skiwelt.at/en/night-skiin...brixental.html

Alpin Igloo:Another must-see, for anyone confident to ski reds: A bar in an Igloo http://www.skiwelt.at/en/alpeniglu-i...tractions.html

Now. have a read of that & if I've left anything out let me know ;-)

That Umbrella bar sounds fun! They had something similar over in Slovakia, there is a bar at the highest point and if you stay up there you have to wait for the groomers to make the slopes ridable again before you descend! we were tanked up going down the last time dodging the cats and getting some angry looks! good times :)

Exactly Spacecowboy- nail on the head! Except from Wed to Sat there's official night skiing, so you can ski down on the floodlit slopes- really nice :-)

Aaaand another from today. Things are certainly looking up!! :-)

image91.jpg

Tut.... i am incredibly jealous! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Think we came home a week too early..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Fanny! The lads are heading over to Soll today - looking for a rec on a good pizza place on the mountain for lunch? Thanks!

Olaola there's no real pizza places on the mountain in Soll- once you're up there you're going traditional!! BUT if they ski down into the bowl, there is a restaurant called the Stocklalm and it does the tastiest rotisserie chicken ever!! Defo worth having lunch there. And it's at all the lifts so they can go wherever they want from there.

The other place I'd recommend is the Oberhausberg, which does proper traditional Wienerschnitzel- it's where the locals go for proper schnitzel. That's halfway down the blue family run though, so would add a good half hour to their lunchtime between skiing down & getting gondel back up, so Stocklalm is prob the best bet- it has a good menu all round. Also, all the restaurants are really good so no matter where they end up they won't go too far wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Pretty sure the Bavaria on one of the Sheffau runs does pizza:
    http://www.bavaria.at/

There's a restaurant at the bottom of the Hochbrixen Gondola, definitely do pizza there. It's a quiet restaurant but pizza was really good and fresh

• Advertisement

I took it that they're skiing over from Westendorf & want to have lunch in Soll, that's why I only gave those non-pizza options- if the pizza factor is higher priority than location that them sorted with two nice alternatives! Must try them myself for a change Steveire, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Aaaand another from today. Things are certainly looking up!! :-)

image91.jpg

Lovely!

The resort I'm going to this Saturday is expecting 39cm on Monday :(

Why the sad face Cormee??! Sure you can do plenty with 39cms ;);)

Kufstein Region BezirkCup, Super-G race, Soll.

image182.jpg

Why the sad face Cormee??! Sure you can do plenty with 39cms ;);)

If it all fell during the night it would be fantastic, but If it falls during the day visibility would be awful

Aha, gotcha! Fingers crossed for 39cms through the night so. (Dodgy and all as it sounds!) ;-)

Aha, gotcha! Fingers crossed for 39cms through the night so. (Dodgy and all as it sounds!) ;-)

:eek: *blesses self furiously*

Kufstein Region BezirkCup, Super-G race, Soll.

image182.jpg

Super G ??? that is a GS set on that hill in the photo. Super G requires min 20-25 Meter set and a single lane with a piste with of 30 meters

No, this was Super-G :-)

• Advertisement

No, this was Super-G :-)

See above the distance between gates is to small, the hill has two courses which is not possible with super G & highly ileagal on any race rules. Super G are run one course on a hill. the width of the fenced off area would have a TD cancel a super g before it started!

Oh and the length of the course is too short but don't let facts get on your way there.

Advertisement