Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where is everyone heading this year??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

Arinsal, Andorra
    18th to 25th March 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dublingaa

livigno Italy 28th to 4th of Feb whohoooooooooooooooooo can not wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Soll on Feb 4th, first trip, can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

Fattes wrote: »
    Wrap up warm -30 to -45 is not uncommon in Banff at that time of the year!!! If you are going to Banff make sure you hit kicking horse and ask for Skippy (Jeff Langer) at Lake Louise.

yup been at both before :D - I really do love that cold - when your breath crystallizes :eek: - shared a bus ride back to town with Skippy a few years ago - legend.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Heading to St.Johann in January! First time so going to hit the slopes in Kilternan for a practice. Thinking of sticking with snowboarding rather than skiing as I have decent experience in board sports!

Any advice for St.Johann or snowboarding is welcome!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

Off to St Anton from 26th Dec to 2nd of Jan, snowboarding

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gavinwavin

happo wrote: »
    Keep us updated on how your season goes please. I am thinking of going there in 2012/2013. The footage in Art of Flight from Revelstoke looks insane.

I am hoping to go to Japan this season. Maybe Niesko or Hakuba.

Opening weekend done just there. 2 of the best days riding I've done (not that I'm that experienced, have done 2 weeks in Austria and one in Italy a few years ago.)

Everything I've heard, seen or read about the place seems to be true, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. The snow has been brilliant even though it hasn't snowed since Saturday. Sunday was the most perfect bluebird day and there was still enough untracked powdery runs and spots. Just class. Will report back when I start to get used to the place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just booked for Soll on the 7th Jan. :)

Now just need some snow to cover the brown slopes I can currently see on the webcams. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Just booked for Soll on the 7th Jan. smile.gif

Now just need some snow to cover the brown slopes I can currently see on the webcams. frown.gif

You are clinically insane!!! Big risk considering the current conditions. I see limited piste and slush in your future :D

I shall do a snow dance for you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, bit of a risk. But I've got four weeks for them to have a decent cold spell and all should be good. It's snowing on the little hills of Scotland at the moment, can't take much more for those big hills in the Alps to get a bit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Pas de la Casa 7th feb..

Third time now.. Seems to always be the only trip on offer when im not sorting my own trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

robinph wrote: »
    It's snowing on the little hills of Scotland at the moment, can't take much more for those big hills in the Alps to get a bit now.

It seems to snowing in almost every resort at the moment and bucketting in parts of the Alps. A LOT of snow also forecast over the next week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Anyone been to Paganella?

Looking at going there in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

a148pro wrote: »

I'm SOOO EXCITED!! I look at the snow forecast every night (they've a decent app btw www.snow-forecast.com) and I got very giddy when I saw the snow falling!!

Fattes wrote: »

That seems to have worked, thanks.

Don't suppose you videoed the dance so we can see the proper technique for dancing to please the snow gods?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Its been snowing heavily and non stop for days here in Val' dIsere. Good chance they are going to shut the road out from Val to Le Fornet where we are due to avalanche risk. Its supposed to be sunny tomorrow which will mean an epic powder day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fattes viewpost.gif

That seems to have worked, thanks.

Don't suppose you videoed the dance so we can see the proper technique for dancing to please the snow gods?

Yes but it involves a level of Nudity that is not suitable for Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Heading to little Limone Piemonte on Jan 29th...
    Well, that was the plan but 2 factors might stop it, lack of the white stuff and wife was admitted to hospital on Sat with a clot on her lung! May not be able to travel..
    I hope the rest of you get loads of snow and have good times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lithinous

MORZINE IN FEBRUARY MID-TERM!!!!

Can't wait!!! but it's a long time to go.:mad::mad:!!!

• Advertisement

Its been snowing heavily and non stop for days here in Val' dIsere. Good chance they are going to shut the road out from Val to Le Fornet where we are due to avalanche risk. Its supposed to be sunny tomorrow which will mean an epic powder day!

I want to kill you right now

olaola wrote: »
    I'm SOOO EXCITED!! I look at the snow forecast every night (they've a decent app btw www.snow-forecast.com) and I got very giddy when I saw the snow falling!!

Tell me about it I'm wasting at least an hour a day reading updates on threads, forecasts etc. And there's no prospect of me getting out until mid Jan either.

Was watching David Attenborough's Frozen Planet earlier, it was making serious points about global warming, the dangers of the melting ice caps etc., and all I could think of was 'christ look at all that snow' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Heading to ischgl in 10 days for 10 nights!!!!!!

Then kitzbhul in feb for a week ;)

Roll on the slopes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just booked Oberstdorf in Germany. Flights and luggage €75 for the 7th-15th Jan. Accommodation tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

St Anton am Arlberg, 26th Dec to Jan 2nd, there's a lot of snow there now :D

Several resorts closed due to too much snow. Nothing open in Tignes or Val D'Isere where they're struggling to keep the roads open. Verbier also closed. Avalanche risk is 5/5 in most of the higher resort and it seems they are actually concerned that avalanches might hit the towns - parts of Verbier evacuated.

Jesus, a drought in November and now too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

I'm going here tomorrow! very excited!

http://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams.html

Looks good! Hope you can actually get there though. I'd try Scotland but it seems a long old drive from the ferry, feels like you'd be as quick flying to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Conditions look pretty good in Glencoe at the moment! What's it usually like during January? Might go for a weekend as a warmup for Austria!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

Morning was amazing with plenty of fresh snow and blue ski, no wind.

coe1h.jpg

coe2.jpg

Afternoon, the snow set in, visibility reduced and wind picked up but still great.

coe4.jpg

If you're thinking of skiing in Scotland, one warning, you can never rely on it. You could get very lucky and have great conditions or the mountain could be closed.

I've had way more great days out than bad ones, only beware that you may be disappointed.

Some of the best Scottish skiing I've done has been December/January. I'll be in Nevis Range and Glencoe a LOT in January - heading home tomorrow so no more for me til next year.

Advertisement