Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin bus security

• 29-03-2016 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Hi all do you think that with anti social behavior on buses there is a need for security on buses similar to what is on the luas and trains. Another thing I have seen in other countries is canine patrols on trains and buses iirc was there security on the dart a couple of years ago that had dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

I think a small dedicated transport police force for Dublin is probably needed, based on using the red line Luas regularly in the past and having to take the number 40 bus (*shudder*) a few times. Busáras could certainly do with a police presence at times too.

On the other hand, a transport police force would probably be toothless without the courts to back them up. If violent offenders continue to be let go free from court as is currently the case, then a transport police would probably not serve as much of a deterrent.

Do I think security is needed? Definitely.

Do I think the powers that be here are capable of implementing it properly? Most likely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Hi all do you think that with anti social behavior on buses there is a need for security on buses similar to what is on the luas and trains. Another thing I have seen in other countries is canine patrols on trains and buses iirc was there security on the dart a couple of years ago that had dogs.

What use are security on board buses going to be when it is usually not passengers but scumbags in the estates the buses go through who throw stones etc at the buses?

The country can't even provide for and support a small dedicated Gardai force so taking Gardai from other units to protect transport is not the answer.

Stop buses going to places where there is anti social behaviour and only reinstate the services when the local people have dealt with the scum on their own doorsteps. I don't advocate vigiliantism but community patrols can be very effective in stomping down on bad eggs in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I too think Dublin badly needs a corp of transport police. As things stand right now its a free for all on public transport with the Gardai only ever showing up after the horse has bolted out of the stable. Whats needed is prevention, not cure and that means having visible policing on public transport so scumbags know not to act up in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

This story seems relevant to the discussion:
    "Man sustains facial injuries after youths smash Dublin Bus window with rock"

And apparently it happened somewhere around Stillorgan, an area not generally noted in the public consciousness for scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

This story seems relevant to the discussion:
    "Man sustains facial injuries after youths smash Dublin Bus window with rock"

And apparently it happened somewhere around Stillorgan, an area not generally noted in the public consciousness for scumbaggery.

For some reason there is a disconnect between the vehicle and the people sitting it for these people, for all they knew they could have had a relative on that bus, they just don't see it as attacking people rather attacking an object. Education actually works best, they wouldn't in general throw a brick directly at a person and I don't think most of them intend to hurt anyone, they just don't have the maturity to draw the dots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its badly needed but in all likelihood it could be quite a small force who'd be focussed on a specific number of routes. Some sort of online reporting system for bus users thats linked to your luas card would be good too, there's absolutely no point in relying on the drivers to report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

A complaint I'd have about the current security in placeurope on irish rail and the luas is that there is a lack clear distinction on their uniforms to say that they are working for irish rail or the luas etc. When I first say them on a train I thought their were doing some sort of cash and transit by train as they were wearing brinks uniforms I'm not sure what security company ir use these days as one's I saw in hueston station didn't have any distinction as to what company they were working for.

Advertisement