Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Folic Acid tablets prescription

Options
  • 23-09-2019 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

My Doctor gave me a prescription for Folic Acid tablets.

I'm just wondering if prescription Folic Acid tablets are the same thing as you would get in a health food shop ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

We haven't seen your prescription!
    (nor do we want to)

There are Folic Acid tablets that require a prescription, and there are Folic Acid tablets that don't. It depends on the strength.

Bring your prescription to the pharmacy. The pharmacist will sell them to you OTC if it's the OTC strength, or will give you the prescription strength if that's what the Dr prescribed.

(Edited to add: DO NOT bring your prescription (any prescription) to a health food shop. Ever.)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Patient11 wrote: »
    ...Its covered by the medical card...

Thanks.

But if you have a medical card, I'm baffled - Why would you ever even have considered asking the question about getting your paid-for-by-the-Government prescription from a health food store?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Thanks.

But if you have a medical card, I'm baffled - Why would you ever even have considered asking the question about getting your paid-for-by-the-Government prescription from a health food store?

You're missing my point.

I wanted to know if I could of bought a similar product in a health food shop without having to go to the Doctor.

Patient11 wrote: »
    You're missing my point.

I wanted to know if I could of bought a similar product in a health food shop without having to go to the Doctor.

A. It's 'have', not 'of'. Sorry for being a grammar nazi but that particular error really gets on my nerves.

B. I don't think I am missing your point. I think you're missing mine.
    How would you have known that you needed Folic Acid unless you visited the doctor and s/he examined you and/or ran tests to see what you need and/or took your history and exercised their clinical judgement?
    Having done that, your doctor decided what you needed and issued a prescription. Prescriptions go to pharmacies, not health food stores.

• Advertisement
Advertisement