Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RC Nitro Car Help Needed

• 27-05-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a RC Nitro car which was stored away for about 10 years, I took it out yesterday to get it going again. I was unsuccessful and now the pull start has zero resistance. It's been years obviously since I used it so I have a few questions as I've forgotten all the tricks of the trade, Are glo plug lighters better these days? I put a brand new AA Battery in mine and got a nice glo from it, tried to start the car but no joy, took it out and checked it again and only got a faint glow from it, put in another new battery and the same thing happened. I also have a wall charger glo plug igniter but that doesn't seem to work at all after charging it for hours.

Before the pull start started slipping I didn't think it was turning the engine correctly, also I could see an air bubble in the fuel line which wasn't moving, when i pull the starter should it pull fuel in? I was reading that maybe i can take off the pull start and clean around it and it might be ok, the cable didn't snap it just has no resistance but recoils ok.

Also, I am guessing the Nitro fuel I have is probably gone off at this stage?

If there is someone in the Waterford/Tramore area that can help please let me know else I'd be delighted with some advice from people that know more than me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Let me start by saying I'm no expert.

Right, you need new fuel and a new glow plug to start.

Remove air from fuel line and then with your fuel line connected, you should be able to pull fuel up to the carb by covering the exhaust output with a finger.

Before storing you should have removed all fuel and ran some oil through the engine to keep things lubricated.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I unboxed mine after 6 years put after run oil in before storing it thing gummed up and couldn't crank it.
    Opened up the glowplug hole and poured petrol in after 30 seconds I started cranking it freed up then the one way bearing started slippin due to petrol flooding it after tilting the motor crankshaft side down the bearing caught again.
    Couldn't believe it only took 3 minutes to free up 6 years of sitting there.
    Tuning is a right pain on my traxxas tmaxx has a sirio engine just dropped into it gone 6 tanks breaking in having trouble finding a clutch for it.

Advertisement