Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2020, 20:24   #46
jrosen

Does anyone know why the shared ownership and affordable housing stopped?

I bought my first home years ago on the affordable housing scheme. As a single applicant on my salary I would never have been able to afford to buy otherwise. I know 2 other people who bought the same way. Both are still in their homes.

At the time I got my mortgage through the council. I believe it changed then and applicants applied through their bank of choice.
But I felt it was a great way for those on low incomes to actually be able to buy. There was a hefty clawback though to the council if you sold but at the time those who were willing to come off the council housing list and buy through these schemes were able to avail of a much lower clawback %.

I would really like to see better options to buy for those who want too, be they single people, families/couples on low incomes. We should be trying to get people off the housing lists imo.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 20:32   #47
Spanish Eyes

2nd refusal of State funded housing should kick you off the list.

I think it is 3 now, maybe I am wrong, but that is unreal. But I suppose I will be told they need to be near their mammies or their school. That is a luxury denied many who paddle their own canoe and buy/rent themselves. And fund all this nonsense.

Homeless my foot.
28-06-2020, 20:33   #48
ispeakdatruth

I’d like to see the minister balance the landlord/tenant relationship.
Notice periods should be reduced, and Any non paying tenants should experience efficient evictions.

I think an education program for the general public that explains that not everyone will be in a position to own a house.
Pay attention in school, get a job, and work hard are all keys to home ownership. This should be drilled into the youth.

If these things are achieved, I think this minister will be deemed a success.
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 21:21   #49
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeakdatruth View Post
Notice periods should be reduced, and Any non paying tenants should experience efficient evictions.

I think an education program for the general public that explains that not everyone will be in a position to own a house.
Pay attention in school, get a job, and work hard are all keys to home ownership. This should be drilled into the youth.

Realistically, his focus will be on the delivery of a gross number of new housing units. There will not be any relief for landlords or a rebalancing of rights; there might be the odd party contribution from that area but realistically any relief for landlords would lose 10 votes for every one generated.
(3) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 21:56   #50
Spanish Eyes

Two offers or you are gone off the list.

Those buying off their own bat can only buy where they can afford.

I hope FF will take cognisance of the fact that those who contribute have no voice anymore as to where their taxes are going. But I suspect they won't, just like the previous Gov.
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 21:58   #51
Spanish Eyes

Quote:

Unfortunately many tenants (not all) know they cannot be evicted without the LL having to take them to court and engage the Sheriff eventually. I know it doesn't always come to that, but those in the know, know this.
28-06-2020, 22:07   #52
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslancaster View Post
How would that work? who do you think the external keybox/keypad access products should be registered with?
Don't security alarms need some sort of certification, something similar
28-06-2020, 22:12   #53
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Japanese BASTARDS! View Post
Controlling private property is something that'd happen in Nazi Germany. It's unconstitutional.
More Communist Russia than Nazi Germany, as long as you weren't Jewish you could own what you wanted, didn't Hitler sell the VW Beetle as some sort of pyramid scheme?
28-06-2020, 22:20   #54
RandomViewer

Quote:

If houses are costing 10 to 15 times median wages that's Not going to happen, if they limit mortgage limits to 3 or 4 times single wage houses will no longer be a commodity,
if we consider housing as a need and can provide basic housing at sensible prices ,make it more like buying a fridge , introduce price controls if necessary, imagine the disposable income available if accommodation was only 10 to 15% of income
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 22:21   #55
RandomViewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
High or low rise. It didn't turn out well. Why 30 storeys anyway? Massively expensive to build and maintain.
Fire hazard as well
29-06-2020, 00:00   #56
nox001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
No reason they can't be registered. When investigating suspected short term letting the first thing to look for would be an unauthorised keybox or keypad. I have yet to see a private home with keypad access through the front door. some posher houses are using them at the front gate but not to get in the door. i doubt if the insurance would allow it in any case.
Feck that, none of the councils business how I choose to access my home. No way would I register anything of the sort with them.
Thanks from:
29-06-2020, 01:18   #57
Jet Black

Quote:
Never going to happen. More than likely 'fix' things in favor of tenants and then wonder why more landlords are leaving the market. It'll only change in favor of the landlords when it's all REITs.
29-06-2020, 09:47   #58
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusm View Post
Realistically, his focus will be on the delivery of a gross number of new housing units. There will not be any relief for landlords or a rebalancing of rights; there might be the odd party contribution from that area but realistically any relief for landlords would lose 10 votes for every one generated.
Its a sad reality that you are correct, landlords are considered lower than criminals in Ireland by a certain set.
29-06-2020, 09:49   #59
fret_wimp2

He will probably be forced to wind up the Strategic Housing Development scheme.
Quite a lot of approvals are being challenged in the high court & either being pushed back to planning or quashed completely..
In the case of the Castleknock one at Bradys, the ABP inspector actually recommended against it but the board approved it anyway. the permission was quashed.

The programme is being challenged by Dermot Desmonds wife Pat Desmond as being undemocratic.
It takes agency and control of an area from the area residents & doesnt pay much heed to the long term local area plans, just caring about number of beds & to challenge it people need to spend a lot of money on legal, meaning control of ones area is now only available to those who can afford it.
29-06-2020, 09:57   #60
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
Feck that, none of the councils business how I choose to access my home. No way would I register anything of the sort with them.
It can be made the councils business. The councils already get involved in access by motor vehicle to the public roads.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion