Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2020, 15:01   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
That kind of thing was tried time and again over the last 80 years. It didn't turn out well.
High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it.

Introduce proper zero tolerance justice along with it.
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 15:05   #32
Jimi H

They definitely need to look at all of the empty properties. As an aside, I was speaking to a nursing home owner this week. He was saying the fair deal scheme prohibits the patient in the nursing home from renting his/her house and he reckoned there were thousands of empty houses because of this.
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 15:08   #33
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Japanese BASTARDS! View Post
Controlling private property is something that'd happen in Nazi Germany. It's unconstitutional.
Only a person with an extremely limited understanding of the constitution would trot such a thing out.

Many modern liberal democracies have limiting regulations on private property. No need to be silly.

"Property has its duties as well as its rights; to the neglect of those duties in times past is mainly to be ascribed that diseased state of society in which such crimes take their rise"

- Thomas Drummond
28-06-2020, 15:12   #34
antimatterx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbird View Post
Guess what I use my three bedrooms for.
The very same.
28-06-2020, 15:23   #35
Claw Hammer

Quote:
High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it.

High or low rise. It didn't turn out well. Why 30 storeys anyway? Massively expensive to build and maintain.
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 15:25   #36
mrslancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
The local council. Anyone caught with an unregistered one would have it removed forthwith, followed by a summons to the District Court.
I have seen lots of homes with keypad access units and they are not airbnb's or rented properties. I cant see how it would work to register every keypad with the local council - what about apartments blocks, car parks, offices etc.
28-06-2020, 15:25   #37
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencesummers View Post
If anybody wants to have a serious idea looked at then I think there should be a ban on the foreign ownership of property.

Of course there can be exceptions where a person has been an Irish person has been a tax payer Here in the previous ten years, Or a foreign person who has some connection like a employment orhas a Registered business employing people here etc.

If people want to invest in property then well and good, the economy needs investors, but it doesn’t need vulture funds buying up assets all over the place to flip them and make a quick quid
There is some wisdom to this idea although it probably could not be done for European nationals* due to EU rules. You could probably (carefully worded) do it for non EEA nationals but there would be so many loopholes it would be next to useless. Anecdotally, from people I know working in the industry, there has been a lot of Chinese and Middle Eastern money injected into residential property in Ireland via special purpose vehicles and funds over the last few years. I'm not sure even policy makers realise it.

*Denmark is the exception to this as they negotiated an exemption from EU rules on the foreign ownership of property. Only permanent residents (for EU citizens I think one must have been a taxpayer for X amount of years and you have to prove strong links to the country) and citizens may own property, with exceptions for German nationals in certain parts of the country for historical reasons.
28-06-2020, 15:31   #38
Claw Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslancaster View Post
I have seen lots of homes with keypad access units and they are not airbnb's or rented properties. I cant see how it would work to register every keypad with the local council - what about apartments blocks, car parks, offices etc.
No reason they can't be registered. When investigating suspected short term letting the first thing to look for would be an unauthorised keybox or keypad. I have yet to see a private home with keypad access through the front door. some posher houses are using them at the front gate but not to get in the door. i doubt if the insurance would allow it in any case.
28-06-2020, 15:38   #39
mrslancaster

Quote:
High rise didn't turn out bad because it was high rise, it turned out bad because if the vermin in it..
Terrible way to speak about people.
I dont know as much as others about the issues in some high rise developments but from what I read, the council and wider social conditions contributed in a large way to the problems faced by many residents.
eg Ballymun and other flats complexes in dublin had high levels of unemployment, lack of maintenance by the council, lack of basic social amenities, poor bus services, drug problems etc etc.

It strikes me as strange that so many are calling for high rise developments again when they have nothing good to say about the ones that were demolished.
Advertisement
28-06-2020, 16:51   #40
the_syco
Subscriber

Quote:
Ballymun failed because the council stopped having money to fix problems in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi H View Post
They definitely need to look at all of the empty properties. As an aside, I was speaking to a nursing home owner this week. He was saying the fair deal scheme prohibits the patient in the nursing home from renting his/her house and he reckoned there were thousands of empty houses because of this.
The Fair Deal scheme gets X amount from the sale of the house. Who'd look after the tenants should it be rented? The OAP in the home who is there because they can't even look after themselves??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslancaster View Post
It strikes me as strange that so many are calling for high rise developments again when they have nothing good to say about the ones that were demolished.
I call for private high rise developments that the people who own them pay annual costs to maintain the places. As I stated above, Ballymun failed as there was no money to maintain them, so they were left alone.
28-06-2020, 19:39   #41
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
You want an extra tax on people who don’t want strangers in their house? Have a think about that, an elderly widow/widower gets taxed because they don’t want to let the extra bedroom in their house.

No, it really doesn’t.
Guys,

I'm vehemently opposed to vacant property taxes.

I was being sarcastic.

The arguments that far left ultra loons use for vacant property taxes could just as easily be applied to vacant rooms.

Those with their hands constantly out will come looking.

Last edited by Pkiernan; 28-06-2020 at 19:40. Reason: spelling
(5) thanks from:
28-06-2020, 19:47   #42
lawrencesummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurt! View Post
There is some wisdom to this idea although it probably could not be done for European nationals* due to EU rules. You could probably (carefully worded) do it for non EEA nationals but there would be so many loopholes it would be next to useless. Anecdotally, from people I know working in the industry, there has been a lot of Chinese and Middle Eastern money injected into residential property in Ireland via special purpose vehicles and funds over the last few years. I'm not sure even policy makers realise it.

*Denmark is the exception to this as they negotiated an exemption from EU rules on the foreign ownership of property. Only permanent residents (for EU citizens I think one must have been a taxpayer for X amount of years and you have to prove strong links to the country) and citizens may own property, with exceptions for German nationals in certain parts of the country for historical reasons.
Those special purpose vehicles as far as I’m aware are just another word for tax avoidance schemes, they are unnecessary as the housing market doesn’t need that kind of investment and they just go to increase the wealth of funds mainly.

London has a huge problem with Russians buying and not living in properties. We should make it a lot harder for people who have no civic or taxation ties to Ireland to buy property, and investment should only be allowed by funds that are based here, at least that provides jobs on the other side.

After that an exemption should be given for the value of a principle private residence property that is left to family members in wills. The idea that you inherent the family home and have to sell it to satisfy revenue demands is disgusting. Family homes are bought and paid for out of taxed income over a persons lifetime. Maybe a cap Of 700-800k should be on it to stop wealthy fiddling the system.
28-06-2020, 19:51   #43
Eric Cartman

Quote:

its why FG basically gave cluid the mandate to house people, they had one thing the government couldn't have , a 'no criminal convictions' clause. It seriously helps clean up some issues and keeps the worst of the worst out.
28-06-2020, 19:52   #44
Jimi H

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
The Fair Deal scheme gets X amount from the sale of the house. Who'd look after the tenants should it be rented? The OAP in the home who is there because they can't even look after themselves??????
It seems the average time an OAP is in care under fair deal is around 3 years. During that time, a lot of the houses remain vacant if not occupied by a relative. There may be cases where a relative has enduring power of attorney or ward of court orders but they would be unable to rent out the property during this time under fair deal. I don’t think vacancy is the best solution.
28-06-2020, 20:18   #45
RobbieMD

Quote:
Controlling private property is something that'd happen in Nazi Germany. It's unconstitutional.
Weren’t you on about CPO’ing private property in car parks for bicycle parking the other day?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion