Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2020, 10:02   #31
Donatron

Surely if rear of house is south facing then that would mean no direct sun into the front rooms of the house, i.e. the sitting room where the most time would be spent? Or am I missing something here?

From what I can see if it's a house on a large site then having the front of the house face south/sw is ideal as you will still get direct sun into the main rooms and also sun in the garden.
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 10:07   #32
Pkiernan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa20 View Post

In a south facing garden, i think the heat must be unbearable inside in the summer. It must feel like a greenhouse.
No, it doesn't, not in the slightest.
South facing is much more pleasant and desirable.
26-06-2020, 10:09   #33
salmocab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatron View Post
Surely if rear of house is south facing then that would mean no direct sun into the front rooms of the house, i.e. the sitting room where the most time would be spent? Or am I missing something here?

From what I can see if it's a house on a large site then having the front of the house face south/sw is ideal as you will still get direct sun into the main rooms and also sun in the garden.
Well On a large site it’s different maybe but I think in general people here are discussing houses in estates. People in general like to sit out in their garden behind the house in privacy so would prefer the light there.
Not sure people really want sun in the main rooms much anyway.
26-06-2020, 10:36   #34
Dylan94
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatron View Post

It depends on what room you use most. For me anyway we would spend more time in the kitchen, so that's where we would like to have the extra light. I wouldn't be a fan of the extra light in the living room, I like it to be a bit darker for watching TV.
(2) thanks from:
26-06-2020, 10:39   #35
KilOit

Love my north facing garden, house is lovely and cool all day and my plants and flowers are all along the wall flourishing with the constant sunshine
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 10:39   #36
listermint

I wouldnt entertain a house that didnt have private outside space where sunshine was guaranteed during daylight hours. Not a hope. By Private space i mean a rear garden not street facing.
Thanks from:
26-06-2020, 10:46   #37
BrownFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
Love my north facing garden, house is lovely and cool all day and my plants and flowers are all along the wall flourishing with the constant sunshine
So you no sun AND constant sunshine in the same place?
26-06-2020, 10:49   #38
awec
Category Moderator

With most houses in developments having the majority of their windows on the front and back, rather than the sides, it really makes no difference in terms of the house overheating between a north or south aspect.

Either the front of the house will be hot or the back. I wouldn't dismiss south facing cause you're worried about the back being hot, if you go north facing the front will be hot and vice versa.

The biggest drawbacks, as someone with a north facing garden, are:

1. No sun for the first ~10 feet outside the back door, but sun all day in the rest of the garden. Really it means you can't have your outdoor table right outside the back door.
2. Glare on the TV as the sitting room at the front of the house is super-bright.
3. Our bedroom is at the front of the house, so it gets warmed up all day.

Last edited by awec; 26-06-2020 at 10:52.
26-06-2020, 10:57   #39
KilOit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
So you no sun AND constant sunshine in the same place?
Sun doesn't penetrate the house, so small shadow on back of house so my back garden gets all the sun all day. Don't think people really understand how the sun works and just have buzz words like south facing garden is a must etc etc. I will say if your garden is tiny like in a new build the house will cast a big shadow
Advertisement
26-06-2020, 11:19   #40
GreeBo

I think aspect is vitally important, there is nothing you can do to change it in future.
Now is a bad time of year to be judging the sun though, I grew up in a North facing garden, at the moment its a grand, gets sun nearly all day, but for spring - autumn it doesnt get anything, and its not a pokey garden.

My current house has south facing garden and has sun in it somewhere year round, as an out dorsey, gardeny person I couldnt imagine not having sun in my back garden now.
26-06-2020, 11:31   #41
GreeBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
With most houses in developments having the majority of their windows on the front and back, rather than the sides, it really makes no difference in terms of the house overheating between a north or south aspect.

Either the front of the house will be hot or the back. I wouldn't dismiss south facing cause you're worried about the back being hot, if you go north facing the front will be hot and vice versa.
I disagree with this as the glazing density on the back of most houses is much higher on the back than the front.
The back of the house will typically have double doors, velux, floor to ceiling windows, etc things you dont frequently see on the front of a house.
26-06-2020, 11:33   #42
The Nal

North facing, you don't get any sun in the back of the house. Ever. And the way most houses are now, the living area is the kitchen and the back of the house. With north facing, most of the garden, the patio, doors, windows etc always seem kind of damp and musty. Moss everywhere. Dark, damp and miserable. Loads of snails and slugs. Last house I lived in was north facing and I couldn't wait to get out.

Its a non negotiable for me.
Thanks from:
26-06-2020, 11:53   #43
awec
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nal View Post
North facing, you don't get any sun in the back of the house. Ever. And the way most houses are now, the living area is the kitchen and the back of the house. With north facing, most of the garden, the patio, doors, windows etc always seem kind of damp and musty. Moss everywhere. Dark, damp and miserable. Loads of snails and slugs. Last house I lived in was north facing and I couldn't wait to get out.

Its a non negotiable for me.
This is honestly bollocks.

OP: north facing definitely not as desirable as south or south west, but also definitely not as bad as being portrayed on this thread. It will vary a lot per house.
26-06-2020, 12:00   #44
BrokenArrows

It's important if you care about a garden. Most people who are buying a house care about the garden, otherwise they would get an apartment.

In Ireland:
North facing usually means the house casts a shadow on the garden, so of it's only a few meters long it will never get the sun. 10+ meters you will get it at the back of the garden at lunch. Before or after midday it depends on how tall the buildings are around you.

South facing means you will get it most of the day.

West facing means you will get it after lunch.

East facing means you will get it in the morning and it will start to be covered in shadow after lunch.

I'm buying an East facing garden. The garden is 25 meters long. I worked out that the back of the garden will still be in the sun until about 5-6pm.
Thanks from:
26-06-2020, 12:03   #45
The Nal

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
This is honestly bollocks.

OP: north facing definitely not as desirable as south or south west, but also definitely not as bad as being portrayed on this thread. It will vary a lot per house.
Last gaff I rented was north facing. Horrible. Was in a south facing house before that and in a south facing house now. No comparison. A couple of my neighbours across the road spend their sunny evenings in their driveway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion