Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-06-2020, 16:44   #1
Dylan94
Banned

Does Garden Aspect Make much difference?

I'm in the process of searching for a house and had been set all along on a house with a South Facing back garden. Our current house has a south facing garden and we have the sun all day long. We don't work traditional 9-5 jobs and would spend a lot of time in the garden.

I've been told that a North Facing garden will get no sun unless its very long, how true is this? We found a house that would be perfect except it has a North facing garden. Its a semi d so we will have houses either side.

So how important is aspect for getting some sun out the back?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2020, 17:03   #2
Springy Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan94 View Post
I'm in the process of searching for a house and had been set all along on a house with a South Facing back garden. Our current house has a south facing garden and we have the sun all day long. We don't work traditional 9-5 jobs and would spend a lot of time in the garden.

I've been told that a North Facing garden will get no sun unless its very long, how true is this? We found a house that would be perfect except it has a North facing garden. Its a semi d so we will have houses either side.

So how important is aspect for getting some sun out the back?
Compare the front and back garden of your current house to see.

Personally I would say its important, but not a deal breaker. It's quite common for people with north facing rears to set up patio areas at the back of the garden. If you can see that fitting your needs then go for it. Obviously it also means you won't ever really get sun into your back room / kitchen.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2020, 17:39   #3
awec
Category Moderator

Aspect is only one factor. You have to also look at what’s around you. Are there houses thatll block sun, walls, tall trees etc.

We are north facing, we get sun in the majority of the garden all day until about 7:30pm. The house behind us is south facing obviously, but they lose the sun at the same time.

The only thing is that the area right outside your back door will be in shade, so you may prefer to put your patio at the far end of the garden. And rooms at the back of the house don’t get direct sunlight.

Last edited by awec; 25-06-2020 at 17:44.
Thanks from:
25-06-2020, 17:43   #4
bubblypop

You will never have the sun coming in the windows at the back of your house.
If you're garden is long enough & open enough, you might have sum down the end.
I'm currently in a north facing back house & I will never buy one.
Some people don't mind, I love the sun getting in
25-06-2020, 17:52   #5
Dylan94
Banned

The Sun not coming into the back windows wouldn't bother us too much. All we really want is that there is an area of the garden where we could sit in the sun for most of the day.

I think I will try sitting in my own front garden on the next Sunny day to see how it works out.
Advertisement
25-06-2020, 18:20   #6
bubblypop

Why don't you go to see it again in the evening time
25-06-2020, 18:32   #7
pearcider

It is incredibly important who wants to sit in their front garden and have a few beers or a bbq? Best gardens face west south west or south. I would never buy a house with back garden with north or east aspect.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2020, 18:35   #8
jaffa20

I wanted a big garden when i was buying and preferably south or west facing but i actually ended up buying a big north east facing garden. It mostly faces north.

In the summer, i get sun in every spot of the garden except right outside the back door. It's actually perfect because i couldn't in the sun all day long. I have a few seating areas but my favourite is the patio outside the door where i can sit in the shade and enjoy watching the wildlife.

In a south facing garden, i think the heat must be unbearable inside in the summer. It must feel like a greenhouse.
25-06-2020, 18:49   #9
the_syco
Subscriber

The house I'm in now is East-North-East front facing. Sun in the morning, sun in the evening. Flowers front and back. If I'm looking out the back, the sun would usually set at my two o'clock.

Last edited by the_syco; 26-06-2020 at 10:11.
Advertisement
25-06-2020, 18:53   #10
Immy

We’re having a similar dilemma, currently in west facing and it’s great for evening sun.

Looking at south east and not sure to take the gamble or not
25-06-2020, 19:01   #11
brisan

We made sure we had a south facing garden
My wife is off work for the 3 months of the summer and love to sit in the sun most days
Its nice to have meals outdoors in this weather
You can get coated glass for the windows that stops the sun getting in and making the house too hot
You can get a coating on the inside to reflect the heat back in ,but most modern high end windows have this now
25-06-2020, 19:06   #12
DM1983

I have due South aspect and paid a premium for it. Everyone advised you need a South facing garden. I would actually prefer a bit more west facing! That evening sun is so important. Sun sets for me by 730 ish and would love an extra hour. South West obviously ideal. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything north or east. Having a sunny back garden for bbq, beers, a nice coffee at breakfast etc. is the single best thing about having a house.
25-06-2020, 19:10   #13
Queasy Tadpole

Makes a huge differance.

South facing you'll usually have sun all day. This helps with drying clothes, relaxing in the garden and having the sun come into the most used areas of the house.

I would never buy a house that was not south facing.
(3) thanks from:
25-06-2020, 19:11   #14
Dolbhad

For some people (myself included) it would be a straight no and some don’t mind. Personally I have decided not to purchase houses due to north facing gardens. And I had actually put a similar query on boards.

I’m currently in a rented house with a east facing back garden. I had to work in an office during lockdown so when we had the gorgeous weather, when I came home the sun was all in the front so couldn’t enjoy it as much (at least the kitchen faces the front so I get the sun). So I don’t think if even go with an east back garden now.

But just because a house is south facing back garden doesn’t meant you’ll get sun either - you have to look what’s around you. If the houses to the back of you etc are higher up, it can block sun. Or if your garden is small, you may not get sun etc.

If you don’t mind not having sun onto the windows and the north facing garden is long and overlooked that you could create a patio at the end of the garden then you could consider it. My parents house is south facing and a sun trap - I took that for granted growing up.

My first preference is west though since I would have sun later in the evening. Then south. I wouldn’t consider anything else. And I would pay extra for it.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2020, 19:14   #15
James Bond Junior

Rear of my house faces WSW and in summer from 1pm to sunset you can sit out and bask. In winter and spring, the sun heats the back rooms and the front rooms are noticeable cooler. I'd be slow to get anything but south or west rear aspect when it comes time to trade up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion