Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-06-2020, 11:04   #16
marieholmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
OP, what do you mean by you "do not want to evict illegally"? How do you think you could get them out?

If they're still paying the rent, you're not actually in a bad position. They could easily stop and it'll still take you an age to get them out. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
If he signed a six month tenancy they will be prepared to move (especially in a market in which rents are static or slightly falling). The problem is almost certainly a non problem. If he signed a years tenancy with the intention of evicting them after his return from 'travelling' then he certainly deserves no sympathy.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 11:06   #17
timetogo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious minds View Post
Now this is no longer possible. I am a homeless homeowner.

It is the first time I am renting out.....I never expected to not be able to have my home back. Tenant has been a nightmare since the beginning and is refusing to leave. I do not want to evict illegally but I don't want to be homeless either.
Well what do your tenants say? Presumably you had a lease for the 6 months. They may have planned to move on at the end of the 6 months. They're not being forced to stay until 20th July.
22-06-2020, 11:09   #18
pg633

I'm sorry for your troubles OP but there are risks to renting out property, including that it might not be available when you want it.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 11:13   #19
curious minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xterminator View Post
Hi Op

first and foremost it is done to arrest tenants being made homeless. And that is not primarily political or games , they are people - each case is individual.

the covid situation is unique, and shutdown of the economy was a unique reaction to it. Due to covid. there are a lot of people not working - with only a basic income provided by the state.

Landlords business has been affected by covid. At least your business is 'open'. What about barbers and publicans etc. Often self employed, or small businesses with zero income. Forbidden to open their business doors.

I sympathise with your personal circumstance, but try a little social awareness.
This has made me homeless....where is the social awareness in that?
I have worked my entire life to get this house ....
22-06-2020, 11:15   #20
curious minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieholmfan View Post
If he signed a six month tenancy they will be prepared to move (especially in a market in which rents are static or slightly falling). The problem is almost certainly a non problem. If he signed a years tenancy with the intention of evicting them after his return from 'travelling' then he certainly deserves no sympathy.
Well they are not prepared to move. As I said signed 6 months.
But they are taking advantage of the situation and refusing to look for something else.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 11:19   #21
marieholmfan

Quote:
But they are taking advantage of the situation and refusing to look for something else.
OK this is a tough situation. Send a letter informing them that their tenancy ends on the relevant date, that they must continue to pay rent while overholding and that even though you will accept this rent that does not mean that they have a tenancy.

Basically end the tenancy on time and register your claim with the RTB in order to evict quickly when the time comes.
22-06-2020, 14:03   #22
Claw Hammer

Quote:
You foolishly signed 6 months. Some adjudicators hold that you can't serve a notice of termination during the currency of a fixed term. You have to wait till the 6 months is up. After that, you serve a notice of termination on one of the grounds required in the case of a Part 4 tenancy accompanied by the necessary declarations etc.
You should have done basic research before signing a 6 month lease.
Thanks from:
22-06-2020, 14:26   #23
DubCount

Don't even consider an illegal eviction. You could end up with a significant financial penalty from the RTB and possibly have the tenant reinstated as well.

Get a solicitor. Do it right.

The system is a mess. IMHO most rental inflation over the last number of years was caused by our government implementing silly anti-landlord legislation, in stead of solving the real problem by increasing supply. unfortunately, we are where we are, and you have to play the game - even when its madness.

Expect even more pro-tenant measures, an extension of the anti-eviction term, and anything else which makes renting out a property a risky venture.
22-06-2020, 17:38   #24
Varik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
You foolishly signed 6 months. Some adjudicators hold that you can't serve a notice of termination during the currency of a fixed term. You have to wait till the 6 months is up. After that, you serve a notice of termination on one of the grounds required in the case of a Part 4 tenancy accompanied by the necessary declarations etc.
Actually the eviction ban could have helped the OP here.

The eviction ban put a stop on the tenant gaining time towards part 4.

Quote:
Part 4 tenancies and further part 4 tenancies will not commence during the emergency period. The 3-month emergency period does not count towards the time spent as a tenant for part 4 or further part 4 tenancies.
So the leases 6 months might have expired but part 4 won't have been gained.
Advertisement
22-06-2020, 18:00   #25
davindub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw Hammer View Post
Where would the OP find research that you cannot serve notice during a fixed term lease to terminate the tenancy after the expiry of the 6 months?
22-06-2020, 18:58   #26
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davindub View Post
Where would the OP find research that you cannot serve notice during a fixed term lease to terminate the tenancy after the expiry of the 6 months?
Its been posted here many times
22-06-2020, 19:22   #27
Dav010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davindub View Post
I’d be interested in that as well. Interestingly, this legal site states that no notice is necessary at all to end a fixed term tenancy of 6 months or less, presumably the fixed term agreement itself is a form of written notice that the tenancy will end on a certain date before Part 4 rights are attained. The LL is effectively giving 6 months notice of the tenancy ending.

https://www.lawyer.ie/property/ending-your-tenancy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
Were those posts in relation to ending a tenancy at the end of a fixed term agreement after the tenant has gotten Part 4 rights? You have to wait until the end of the fixed term if you want to end a tenancy using any of the grounds for Part 4 terminations.

Last edited by Dav010; 22-06-2020 at 19:45.
22-06-2020, 19:52   #28
davindub

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
But what was the source?

Chinese whispers I think...
22-06-2020, 20:44   #29
curious minds

The issue here is not serving a 1 month notice before the 6 months lease is up
Nor serving a 3 months notice after 6 months and a Day,

Both these risks were taken into account because these were written in the low so we are all aware of these

However the 4 months eviction ban and probably more has put me in a very unpleasant situation. If the eviction ban is extended until next year . What will happen to those who only rented short term and need their house back - have nowhere else to live. ?

what happens to rent arrears? sure if a tenant can live for free for a long time with no risk of being evicted why would't they?
22-06-2020, 21:40   #30
LeineGlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubCount View Post
Don't even consider an illegal eviction. You could end up with a significant financial penalty from the RTB and possibly have the tenant reinstated as well.

Get a solicitor. Do it right.

The system is a mess. IMHO most rental inflation over the last number of years was caused by our government implementing silly anti-landlord legislation, in stead of solving the real problem by increasing supply. unfortunately, we are where we are, and you have to play the game - even when its madness.

Expect even more pro-tenant measures, an extension of the anti-eviction term, and anything else which makes renting out a property a risky venture.
In fairness, it's very difficult to increase supply when it is so easy to object to development.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion