Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2020, 00:04   #886
smurgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
With tourism dead until next year, college students not returning for the next semester and WFH still going for the foreseeable future for a lot of places, demand will be flat or decreasing. The risk could be having no rental income until January 2021 if you were waiting for the eviction ban to end. And that's assuming things are back to normal by then.
Exactly.Landlords are price takers now not setters.
Advertisement
01-07-2020, 08:44   #887
perfectkama

power to the people bargains galore....
Thanks from:
01-07-2020, 10:02   #888
runswithascript

I know a lot of people moving because they were able to get a bigger or nicer place for less money. My very specific daft search has gone from a few notifications a week to several a day.

I hope that when CAO offers are released in August it does not have too much of an impact on this.
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2020, 10:53   #889
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurgen View Post
Exactly.Landlords are price takers now not setters.
That's always been the case...market rate.
(3) thanks from:
01-07-2020, 11:05   #890
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithascript View Post
I know a lot of people moving because they were able to get a bigger or nicer place for less money. My very specific daft search has gone from a few notifications a week to several a day.

I hope that when CAO offers are released in August it does not have too much of an impact on this.

Yes well priced places are definitely moving now.

I don't expect this year to be as hard once CAO applications come out, due to 2 reasons mainly. Firstly lots of new build has come on stream in last year or so. Secondly I just can't see the same amount of foreign students travelling here as would have done pre-Covid.
Advertisement
01-07-2020, 16:45   #891
LJ12345

Do these agencies have any idea what impact they are having. Sherry Fitzgerald are seeing significantly more private investors leave than enter the rental market and this was before covid. The rental market from here on will be overpriced apartments in the docklands.

Could it perhaps just be the sense of entitlement today’s younger renter bracket has that’s the problem and not the rental market... be careful what you wish for.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0701/11...nts-landlords/
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2020, 17:20   #892
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ12345 View Post
Do these agencies have any idea what impact they are having.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0701/11...nts-landlords/
Look at the sample.

Quote:
A new report for Threshold...... involved interviews with 24 tenants, 16 in Dublin, six in Galway and two in Cork....Six Threshold advisors were also interviewed.
01-07-2020, 22:00   #893
perfectkama

if they get their way they will reduce supply a total communist org trying to socialize private rental accommodation LLs
02-07-2020, 01:10   #894
Topgear on Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
Look at the sample.

Threshold knew what they wanted the report to say before they looked for someone to write the report. This is just spin for the media, lapped up by them uncritically.

Fair play to the two lecturers for knocking it out.
Advertisement
02-07-2020, 11:03   #895
Ozark707

Latest monthly updates:

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/2...310a14a32e080/

>10% increase in supply MoM

Avg rents continue to decrease across most categories.
02-07-2020, 11:33   #896
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave View Post
Threshold knew what they wanted the report to say before they looked for someone to write the report. This is just spin for the media, lapped up by them uncritically.

Fair play to the two lecturers for knocking it out.

Ive a cousin working for threshold. She got married last year and rented out her apartment as they moved into her husbands house.
Her tenant stopped paying rent after 6 months and she is still trying to get rid of them im told. I wonder if the tenant went to threshold what would happen
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2020, 11:33   #897
Blut2

The volume of apartments available is really going through the roof. And thats before the 350eur covid payment, and the employment support payments, that combined 900,000+ people are currently on are cut off. And before any announcement of the universities not coming back in September. And before they potentially try to add the thousands of units of student accom to the private market...

I would be extremely worried if I had a property going to be available to rent in the coming months. Its all very good news for renters though.
Thanks from:
02-07-2020, 11:39   #898
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post

The volume of apartments available is really going through the roof. And thats before the 350eur covid payment, and the employment support payments, that combined 900,000+ people are currently on are cut off. And before any announcement of the universities not coming back in September. And before they potentially try to add the thousands of units of student accom to the private market...

I would be extremely worried if I had a property going to be available to rent in the coming months. Its all very good news for renters though.

Exaggerate much
02-07-2020, 11:56   #899
Blut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyVik View Post
Exaggerate much
This time last year there were approx 750 apartments on the market. Now its closing in on 2200.

A near 300% increase in available number of apartments year on year. And on top of that the available number of apartments has been going up by over 10% a month, for months consistently now, with no sign of stopping...

I'd say "through the roof" is underselling it if anything.
02-07-2020, 12:01   #900
JimmyVik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blut2 View Post
This time last year there were approx 750 apartments on the market. Now its closing in on 2200.

A near 300% increase in available number of apartments year on year. And on top of that the available number of apartments has been going up by over 10% a month, for months consistently now, with no sign of stopping...

I'd say "through the roof" is underselling it if anything.

2200 is not a lot of supply. Thats not through the roof.
And as someone who spent 3 weeks trying to get one and found the vast majority were actually short term lets, when eventually i could contact someone, im not buying that there are 2200 available to rent long term. How many of those are short term only? Because they arent much use. Not to me anyway.

Dont get me wrong. I would love if the supply went up, but its no good if you cant rent them long term.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion