Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-04-2020, 13:13   #16
WhiteMemento9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
His property to do what he likes with it, even using it as a Airbnb he is benefiting tourism.
your beef should be with the government not building enough properties or selling 95% of new apartments to vulture funds
There are now laws in place since last July which mean in many cases people need to apply for a license if they want to use the property as an Airbnb.

Quote:
The maximum fine for non-compliance with planning breaches is a €5,000 fine or six months imprisonment – or both.
Edit - It has been pretty clear that these laws are being completely ignored - Link

Last edited by WhiteMemento9; 05-04-2020 at 13:17.
Advertisement
05-04-2020, 13:14   #17
runswithascript

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
His property to do what he likes with it, even using it as a Airbnb he is benefiting tourism.
your beef should be with the government not building enough properties or selling 95% of new apartments to vulture funds
Yes right now Airbnb is perfectly legal but just because someone can do something, does not make it right.

With any luck the collapse of the Airbnb market will continue for a long time.

What tourism?

Up until now there has not been a tourism crisis, the rental property crisis has long been with us.
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 13:24   #18
Idbatterim

I think there will be a short - ish term drop in rents, but construction is now frozen. People arent going to emigrate like before, as we are all in the same boat. I believe the population is still growing. They are going to do down alright, but I dont think this will be a case of years of drops, it really depends on how quick the situation with this virus evolves...

I mean, how many students etc gave up expensive leases in dublin, to move back home and gave up their accomodation here, assuming probably correctly, this will go on for months and also that finding new accomodation in short term, would be easy IF needs be? if college starts again in September and classroom based lessons resume, they will all be back looking for accomodation...
05-04-2020, 13:27   #19
Idbatterim

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithascript View Post
Shame on you. You are a major part of the property problem in our society.

I hope we will soon have a government here that will restrict or even better yet ban Airbnb completely, just like these places:

https://www.passiveairbnb.com/top-ci...or-restricted/
laughable! the government are to blame for the lack of supply, local government mainly, blocking anything over a few floors in dublin, tourism generates billions for the country and employment. Blame the morons responsible for the idiocy! Also when you are getting hit with a fifty percent marginal rate of tax, people are going to go for the bigger bucks, again go back to government. Sick of these misplaced, ignorant attacks!
(5) thanks from:
05-04-2020, 13:32   #20
runswithascript

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idbatterim View Post
laughable! the government are to blame for the lack of supply, local government mainly, blocking anything over a few floors in dublin, tourism generates billions for the country and employment. Blame the morons responsible for the idiocy! Also when you are getting hit with a fifty percent marginal rate of tax, people are going to go for the bigger bucks, again go back to government. Sick of these misplaced, ignorant attacks!
Yes, all of that is a problem but to believe Airbnb is not is folly. Tourism would still go on without Airbnb, the greater problem is the property crisis, and again right now and for what looks like a long time to come: what tourism.
Advertisement
05-04-2020, 13:33   #21
Graham

Talk of AirBnB is all a bit academic in the current environment.

I suspect that will remain the case for at least the remainder of 2020.

My guess; AirBnB hosts are about to see several years of healthy profits completely wiped out. Hundreds of ex-STLs will be returned to residential use.

Last edited by Graham; 05-04-2020 at 13:37.
05-04-2020, 13:40   #22
runswithascript

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
My guess; AirBnB hosts are about to see several years of healthy profits completely wiped out.
I imagine it would be difficult for people who cannot find or afford to live closer than more than an hour or two away from their places of work or study to be sympathetic.

It would be prudent for these hosts to cut their losses by starting to let their properties.
05-04-2020, 13:45   #23
WhiteMemento9

Quote:
I imagine it would be difficult for people who cannot find or afford to live closer than more than an hour or two away from their places of work or study to be sympathetic.

It would be prudent for these hosts to cut their losses by starting to let their properties.
That penny will eventually drop but may take a little time. My guess is many of them haven't actually considered how little demand there will be for the properties in the coming year and maybe beyond. Hopefully they will come on quite quickly as those who do wlll see the best rent deals now rather than if they wait and supply keeps increasing.
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 13:51   #24
Graham

Quote:
They are, just look at daft.

The usual giveaway is the obligatory rolled towels in each of the bedroom photos.
Advertisement
05-04-2020, 13:53   #25
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMemento9 View Post
That penny will eventually drop but may take a little time. My guess is many of them haven't actually considered how little demand there will be for the properties in the coming year and maybe beyond. Hopefully they will come on quite quickly as those who do wlll see the best rent deals now rather than if they wait and supply keeps increasing.
Yes it will be interesting to see if some AirBnB'ers get out in front and just get their place let ASAP or will wait for a number of months in the hope that it goes back to the way it was.
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 14:02   #26
Edgware

If you are letting a property e.g. a one bed and pulling in 15000/16000 a year you would need a high occupancy level with an Airbnb to match that. With letting of a properly organised property you could go 12 months without having any contact with tenants. In an Airbnb you have cleaning, laundry, taking bookings etc all the time. Hard to see that this is worth whatever extra income you might get
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 14:10   #27
Ozark707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
If you are letting a property e.g. a one bed and pulling in 15000/16000 a year you would need a high occupancy level with an Airbnb to match that. With letting of a properly organised property you could go 12 months without having any contact with tenants. In an Airbnb you have cleaning, laundry, taking bookings etc all the time. Hard to see that this is worth whatever extra income you might get
Well it is obviously worth it for many landlords to do exactly this.
(3) thanks from:
05-04-2020, 14:18   #28
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark707 View Post
Well it is obviously worth it for many landlords to do exactly this.
was
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 14:20   #29
Reversal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
was
Is there anything that will stop these properties going back to Airbnb once the short term let's are up? Will the fact a property was in the residential rental market make it easier to enforce the law?
Thanks from:
05-04-2020, 14:25   #30
Graham

Economics initially. I don't expect there to be any significant demand for STLs for the rest of the year.

By the time demand does return, I would expect the local authorities have their enforcement teams/processes firmly established.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion