Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 17:31   #1
Rebelbrowser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,696
The 11th Annual Boards White Christmas Thread

Its that day again, 1 November, when, with Halloween over us, thoughts turn to the next big event on the horizon - yup Christmas is coming....

This year is obviously very different, to put it mildly, to any other year. I personally think that given we are all pretty much marooned in our houses for the foreseeable, and probably to a large extent over Christmas, that there might never be a better (and less inconvenient) time for snow to fall over the Christmas period. Lying snow on the big day and indeed the week up to New Year would discommode far fewer people this year, than would normally be the case and would raise the spirits of many. Indeed it would encourage kids to play outside (being the best we can do for them right now) etc. So as far as I am concerned, bring it on put I realise there will be legitimate counterviews….

This particular thread turns 11 today - if you don't believe me the first from 2010 is still available at - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...php?p=68686802 but in fact I found White Christmas threads dating back to 2004 (when there was a White Christmas for many!) at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show....php?p=2209623 . Some familiar names posted in that thread too I note!

As usual this thread is solely concerned with the weather over the Christmas period, primarily 24 & 25 December and, in particular, is concerned with whether it might snow on Christmas day itself.

The last white Christmas (as in lying snow) for most of us was 2010 of course. However I don't think there was any Christmas day snowfall that year. The last actual technically correct white Christmas (1cm of falling snow I think?) for most of us was 2004. That's 15 years ago so statistically we are way overdue a white one this year (Met.ie say that historically Dublin airport gets a technically correct white Christmas every 5.9 years).

A good article is at https://www.newstalk.com/news/white-...-happen-937867 .

The CFS (a longe range weather model of doubtful accuracy) is probably the best source at this stage for making any sort of guess as to what weather we might have on the big day.

At present it shows as follows for the big day:-

Pressure



Upper Temps at 850 hPa



That shows a very pleasant but horribly mild Christmas day, what one poster some time ago used to call a BBQ Christmas day!

Hopefully that won't come to pass, and with 55 days to go, there is just about time for things to change!

As always, to get in the mood, I have pasted below a seasonal pic from Christmas week in Dublin in 2010. T'would be great to see it repeated this year...

Rebelbrowser is offline  
Advertisement
01-11-2020, 18:16   #2
esposito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbrowser View Post

The last white Christmas (as in lying snow) for most of us was 2010 of course. However I don't think there was any Christmas day snowfall that year. The last actual technically correct white Christmas (1cm of falling snow I think?) for most of us was 2004. That's 15 years ago so statistically we are way overdue a white one this year
Thanks for the above post Rebelbrowser.

*16 years. Even longer since we had falling snow on Christmas Day!

Hoping for a cold Christmas for once this year.
esposito is offline  
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2020, 19:39   #3
Rebelbrowser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by esposito View Post
Thanks for the above post Rebelbrowser.

*16 years. Even longer since we had falling snow on Christmas Day!

Hoping for a cold Christmas for once this year.
The dangers of copying and pasting from last year!
Rebelbrowser is offline  
(3) thanks from:
02-11-2020, 08:21   #4
Wine Goddess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 372
Lovely to see this thread again! Always livens the atmosphere in the run up to Christmas...such as it will be this year......

I'm hoping for a dumping of snow around the 20th that would be refreshed on Christmas Eve, (a bit like the Guinness ad!) so that the day itself will be very pleasant outside with snow ❄️ and crisp winter sunshine 🌞🌅......

However what I think we'll get is a fairly average winter's day, temperature in the range of 8-10c with a breeze and some scattered showers.

We can but dream.......
Wine Goddess is offline  
02-11-2020, 10:42   #5
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Last Christmas Morning we had lovely frost. It looked very seasonal as we did the parkrun in Sligo.
pauldry is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
02-11-2020, 13:54   #6
Danno
Moderator
 
Danno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,817
I don't like the definition of a white Christmas as being "snow falling on December 25th". I'd much rather a few inches of snow on the ground than seeing a wintry flurry going through but giving no cover whatsoever. For me 2010 was as much a white Christmas as 2004 was.
Danno is offline  
(3) thanks from:
04-11-2020, 10:45   #7
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
1995 was a great White Christmas in Castlebar.

All day eating and drinking and then it started snowing

Snowball fights on the street and no cars.
pauldry is offline  
(3) thanks from:
04-11-2020, 18:55   #8
nacho libre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
1995 was a great White Christmas in Castlebar.

All day eating and drinking and then it started snowing

Snowball fights on the street and no cars.
Yes. A great Christmas present. Froze were the days! I'd love a heavy snow fall late on Christmas eve that continued all night , so that when i woke up in the morning and looked out the window i'd see several inches of snow on the ground.

It would be great if mother nature could oblige us this Christmas, especially after this wretched year.
nacho libre is offline  
05-11-2020, 12:52   #9
NickNickleby
Registered User
 
NickNickleby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
Yes. A great Christmas present. Froze were the days! I'd love a heavy snow fall late on Christmas eve that continued all night , so that when i woke up in the morning and looked out the window i'd see several inches of snow on the ground.

It would be great if mother nature could oblige us this Christmas, especially after this wretched year.
This is one of my great childhood memories. We lived in Birmingham, and on Christmas Eve, long before bedtime but after darkness fell, I looked out the window and saw HUGE snowflakes falling. My mother opened the curtains and we watched the snow falling and sticking for a magical evening. Dreams of Santa crunching through the snow on the roof, and somehow getting into the bedroom and leaving our presents at the end of the bed. He must have been good as I was 23 at the time.. Hahaha, no I was 7, I think it was Christmas 62 (or 63). I also remember going to school in waist high snow after the Christmas holidays.
NickNickleby is offline  
Advertisement
10-11-2020, 18:36   #10
Rebelbrowser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,696
Just to update this, a more seasonal look to the big day on the CFS at present. It actually shows snow overnight on Christmas Eve but the temps don't really support this. Still, good to see something of interest...

Upper temps



Snow chart

Rebelbrowser is offline  
(3) thanks from:
11-11-2020, 09:47   #11
Beechwoodspark
Registered User
 
Beechwoodspark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 10,436
Here’s hoping for a good two week spell around Christmas with

Heavy snow falls
Deep lying snow for at least 10 days
Bright winter sunshine and wonderfully clear crisp air between the snow falls
Frost and Icicles sparkling in the sun
Extremely cold day and exceptionally cold night temps

Now if this happens it will have significant effects on

Travel and Road safety (do councils have capacity to salt roads etc?) at a busy time of year
Supply chains for food and retail (can imagine the media hype about no Christmas goods in stores)
Public Health - elderly, vulnerable, homeless
Heavy snow falls on infrastructure (power cuts etc)

So, not a meteorological feature - more society - a sense of community and cooperation throughout the country so we get through it together

Last edited by Beechwoodspark; 11-11-2020 at 10:03.
Beechwoodspark is offline  
(3) thanks from:
16-11-2020, 10:11   #12
daniel_t1409
Registered User
 
daniel_t1409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 216
Any more updates?
daniel_t1409 is offline  
16-11-2020, 11:27   #13
NickNickleby
Registered User
 
NickNickleby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,173
Well now...

I was slapped down some years ago on these boards for asking what was deemed to be a stupid question. So I'll risk a post that will definitely be lacking in 'science' according to some. But it comes from a Christmas weather page on a UK site.

Gavs Weather Vids is the place to go and look at yesterday's offering for the White Christmas forecast.


Here's a synopsis SNOW! SNOW! and MORE SNOW!


Now, being honest, its based on something called the CFS (if I'm reading it correctly) which apparently is falling out of favour. But for now, IT'LL DO ME. I think Gav has figured out that we all need something to look forward to at the moment.

Enjoy!
NickNickleby is offline  
16-11-2020, 16:30   #14
Gonzo
Moderator
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 12,549
Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickNickleby View Post
Well now...

I was slapped down some years ago on these boards for asking what was deemed to be a stupid question. So I'll risk a post that will definitely be lacking in 'science' according to some. But it comes from a Christmas weather page on a UK site.

Gavs Weather Vids is the place to go and look at yesterday's offering for the White Christmas forecast.


Here's a synopsis SNOW! SNOW! and MORE SNOW!


Now, being honest, its based on something called the CFS (if I'm reading it correctly) which apparently is falling out of favour. But for now, IT'LL DO ME. I think Gav has figured out that we all need something to look forward to at the moment.

Enjoy!
those extra long range CFS models are practically worthless but it was fun to see the snowy Christmas predicted on it yesterday. However we are now back to wall to wall mild zonal Atlantic driven muck all the way through to mid March on today's CFS. Tomorrow it could flip again.
Gonzo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-11-2020, 17:40   #15
NickNickleby
Registered User
 
NickNickleby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
those extra long range CFS models are practically worthless but it was fun to see the snowy Christmas predicted on it yesterday. However we are now back to wall to wall mild zonal Atlantic driven muck all the way through to mid March on today's CFS. Tomorrow it could flip again.
Dang! could you not have given me a few days happiness in my ignorance (I should have said bliss!) .. Still, in one paragraph you've taught me what's the problem with CFS.

Right, I'm off to burn down the observatory!
NickNickleby is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet