Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-09-2020, 14:31   #31
Tabnabs

Like so many others in the industry, I've mixed memories of working in the North Sea.

Not my video, but been there, done that.

It;s better at night in the pitch dark when you can't see them rushing at you...
Advertisement
08-09-2020, 15:08   #32
Kaybaykwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk View Post
Are you in Alberta? I was walking along the river in Calgary during winter once and I had to go up a hill trail to get off it. I just kept sliding back down as my shoes had no grip. Over and over. I eventually had to climb through the bushes and trees as I could hold on to their branches to drag me up.
We would have 10 ft icicles hanging from our gutters. And the snow is so fine there that you can see every snowflake's design when they land on you.
What I did find great is that no matter how cold it was, somehow our tiny apartment was always warm enough to walk around half naked. I never even knew how the heating worked but for a really old wooden house, it was perfectly warm even at -35c outside.
If you are young and you get a chance to experience one of these winters it's worth it, I never want to experience it again though!

Lol. I know what you mean.

I live in a small town South of Montreal. The weather here is quite different from the prairies. Theirs is Cold and Dry, ours is very humid. You can have very cold days in January here that are dry and the next day, 10C less, but the humidity will make it seem a lot colder and drearier. The other difference is in the slush. Because of this humidity and change in weather patterns, one day the streets and sidewalks are slushy, the next, icy.

The one good thing is that the summers are fantastic here, and the Spring and Fall spectacular.
(2) thanks from:
08-09-2020, 15:10   #33
Kaybaykwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
Like so many others in the industry, I've mixed memories of working in the North Sea.

Not my video, but been there, done that.

It;s better at night in the pitch dark when you can't see them rushing at you...

I enjoyed the video guy's nervous lafftah!
(2) thanks from:
18-09-2020, 09:45   #34
bnt

I was moved to South Africa at a young age, and lived in two different places, both thousands of feet above sea level. In summer time we would have these incredible thunderstorms, sometimes with hail, and potential flash flooding. On one occasion I was looking out the window at the rain when lightning struck in the garden right in front of me, maybe twenty feet away. Not a big one, thankfully, not bright enough to hurt my eyes.
(3) thanks from:
19-11-2020, 06:23   #35
nehemiah2378
Banned

Traveling to see the nature fulfilled with flowers, sun, blue sky and long roads, was my hobby when I was in school. But once I was planning to go for the trip for enjoying my summer holiday, but the winter prevailed and the whole stuff which I was planning to see, was covered up by snow.
Advertisement
19-11-2020, 06:36   #36
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehemiah2378
Traveling to see the nature fulfilled with flowers, sun, blue sky and long roads, was my hobby when I was in school. But once I was planning to go for the trip for enjoying my summer holiday, but the winter prevailed and the whole stuff which I was planning to see, was covered up by snow.

Yippee, snow!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion