Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-08-2019, 22:30   #31
loughside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Another weird plane sound droning from the dark skies here at the mo. Looked on 'Flight Radar' and it is a similar, if smaller plane what caused the freaky sound that prompted me to open this thread last winter.

People in the midlands and east should hear something weird soon as the 'Antonov An-12BK flies over soon. Still droning away here even though plane is well over the midlands by now.

the An-12............... one agricultural aircraft steered by real pilots... none of your nancy `autopilot` here!!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkRP00ubHU
loughside is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-08-2019, 22:31   #32
Hunky Monster
Registered User
 
Hunky Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Not strictly weather related but just had a very strange experience here.

For the last 10 minutes, and very deep 'droning' sound was heard outside, so deep in fact, that the chair I was sitting on vibrated. Went outside, as did others in the street, and the sound clearly was coming from the sky, but such was the nature of the sound, it was hard to pinpoint a specific point. The sound itself was constant, but the deeper sounds came in specific 'waves'. I am sorry I wasn't quick thinking enough to record it but it was very weird and very very eerie.

Anyone any ideas? Is the current state of the atmosphere making the sound of ordinary jets sound stranger than they normally would be? or have the Russians decided to go all out?? I jest of course but this was no normal aircraft sound.
Is it 5g?
Hunky Monster is offline  
24-08-2019, 00:19   #33
Meteorite58
Registered User
 
Meteorite58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,770
Antonov AN- 12BK just flew over here near Tralee few minutes ago, came from the UK heading out into the Atlantic, destination N/A. Have heard Antonov's a few times, not sure of exact type, can't remember. Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.

Shannon reporting broken cloud at 14,000 feet tonight. Saw a high layer of cloud at dusk and calm tonight outside so probably sound being bounced downwards making it sound so loud, probably louder than if there was no cloud ceiling? Looked at the radar after it left the coast and it was flying at 26, 000 ft approx.
Meteorite58 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-08-2019, 22:00   #34
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Antonov AN- 12BK just flew over here near Tralee few minutes ago, came from the UK heading out into the Atlantic, destination N/A. Have heard Antonov's a few times, not sure of exact type, can't remember. Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.

Shannon reporting broken cloud at 14,000 feet tonight. Saw a high layer of cloud at dusk and calm tonight outside so probably sound being bounced downwards making it sound so loud, probably louder than if there was no cloud ceiling? Looked at the radar after it left the coast and it was flying at 26, 000 ft approx.
I heard it as well. Wondered what it was.
Arianna White Liar is offline  
26-08-2019, 16:06   #35
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
Once in the early morning 2 flying close together woke me up, ran out the back couldn't believe how loud they were.
Don't know what it is about those Antonov planes, but the look and sound of them freak me out. Was watching this one on youtube the other day, and while non-propellered (if that is even a thing..) the sound it makes as it crosses over is downright unnerving... but still breath-takingly awesome:

https://youtu.be/5jALTAeHLbQ?t=259

I wonder does this plane ever fly over Ireland?

Last edited by Oneiric 3; 26-08-2019 at 16:14.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-08-2019, 17:13   #36
Storm 10
Registered User
 
Storm 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Don't know what it is about those Antonov planes, but the look and sound of them freak me out. Was watching this one on youtube the other day, and while non-propellered (if that is even a thing..) the sound it makes as it crosses over is downright unnerving... but still breath-takingly awesome:

https://youtu.be/5jALTAeHLbQ?t=259

I wonder does this plane ever fly over Ireland?
Been in Shannon quite a few times
Storm 10 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-08-2019, 17:49   #37
Discodog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Don't know what it is about those Antonov planes, but the look and sound of them freak me out. Was watching this one on youtube the other day, and while non-propellered (if that is even a thing..) the sound it makes as it crosses over is downright unnerving... but still breath-takingly awesome:

https://youtu.be/5jALTAeHLbQ?t=259

I wonder does this plane ever fly over Ireland?
I was lucky enough to be at Brize Norton, in the UK, where it's a regular visitor. The road passes very close to the end of the runway & plane spotters gather there. The Antonov has to wind up it's engines for a minute before releasing the brakes.

A group of "tourist" spotters had set up camping chairs & ignored our warnings - they were blown across the road & into the ditch


Last edited by Discodog; 26-08-2019 at 17:55.
Discodog is offline  
26-08-2019, 20:52   #38
Trebor176
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,290
An AN12 flying over. For anyone unsure, here's a clear sound of it at 20 odd thousand feet up.

https://youtu.be/tcYofHsBIBM
Trebor176 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
26-08-2019, 22:35   #39
Comhra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor176 View Post
An AN12 flying over. For anyone unsure, here's a clear sound of it at 20 odd thousand feet up.

https://youtu.be/tcYofHsBIBM

Sounds like a flying didgeridoo.

Comhra is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-08-2019, 09:11   #40
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor176 View Post
An AN12 flying over. For anyone unsure, here's a clear sound of it at 20 odd thousand feet up.

https://youtu.be/tcYofHsBIBM
Yep, something similar to what I heard the other day. Another great recording here (it followed that vid you posted)



As 'droney' as the A-12 passing was, it paled in comparison to when the A-22 passed over that time I opened this thread. The sound shook the earth itself.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
27-08-2019, 20:56   #41
Oscar Bravo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8,022
An 12(UR-CAH) inbound from the Atlantic and will be heard over Galway in next 30 minutes.
Oscar Bravo is online now  
(3) thanks from:
27-08-2019, 21:47   #42
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 178
I've had aural phenomena a little like this which has confused me and made me fearful. Sometimes it can be your imagination other times it is real. I've seen something like an cloaked robotic device with no legs or wheels hovering in the air surveying me inside my house. You can just see the general shape, but you can watch it move around the room completely independently of me as if it has it's own mind, and you can see it's field of vision like a cone of light as it surveys different parts of the room, or your body. Typically it is invisible to normal sight but I've seen them a few times. But they don't make a noise. But there is a very strange noise from inside my sofa. If you press your ear to the sofa you can hear deep humming sound. I've often wanted to rip it apart and see what is inside.
Andreas77 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-08-2019, 21:47   #43
dhaughton99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Bravo View Post
An 12(UR-CAH) inbound from the Atlantic and will be heard over Galway in next 30 minutes.
Just heard it going over North Dublin (lusk) even though I'm near Baldonnel.
dhaughton99 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-08-2019, 15:54   #44
MJohnston
Registered User
 
MJohnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas77 View Post
I've had aural phenomena a little like this which has confused me and made me fearful. Sometimes it can be your imagination other times it is real. I've seen something like an cloaked robotic device with no legs or wheels hovering in the air surveying me inside my house. You can just see the general shape, but you can watch it move around the room completely independently of me as if it has it's own mind, and you can see it's field of vision like a cone of light as it surveys different parts of the room, or your body. Typically it is invisible to normal sight but I've seen them a few times. But they don't make a noise. But there is a very strange noise from inside my sofa. If you press your ear to the sofa you can hear deep humming sound. I've often wanted to rip it apart and see what is inside.
Jeez, that's no way to talk about your wife
MJohnston is offline  
Thanks from:
08-11-2020, 11:46   #45
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,392
Just had a very loud, booming plane sound flying over and checked Flight 24 only to discover it was a plane mentioned in this very thread:



Incredible sound that is still audible via boomy waves. People in north Mayo should be able to hear it about now.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet