Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-12-2017, 20:59   #16
Wanderer78

what are the main benefits of prop planes over jets?
Advertisement
06-12-2017, 21:10   #17
Oscar Bravo

When speed isnt a factor, eg that AN 22 was used to bring an engine for an a330,the main reason for preferring turboprop engines over pure jet engines is that turboprop engines deliver more power and greater efficiency at slower flying speeds than jet propulsion.
The AN-22 that passed over earlier has the capability to takeoff from rough and short airstrips, this is achieved by four pairs of contra-rotating propellers. The engines generate significant thrust, and produce a slipstream over the wings and large double-slotted flaps.
06-12-2017, 21:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeHerKing View Post
Crap, I was hoping it was Aliens.
To be fair the red top tabloids have been running 'booms in the sky' stories over the last few weeks, occurring around the world.

741 mph sonic booms or some sort of ionic skyquakes?

There was a few meteorites/fireballs burning up recently, but nothing of any sizeable note...
06-12-2017, 21:18   #19
EPAndlee

If it is aliens someone should probably call Will Smith seeing as he has so much experience in saving us from aliens
06-12-2017, 21:31   #20
Oscar Bravo

Inside the back of the one that flew over this evening upon arrival at Manchester, massive!
Advertisement
06-12-2017, 21:36   #21
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Bravo View Post
Inside the back of the one that flew over this evening upon arrival at Manchester, massive!
thats as bloody big as a hanger!
Thanks from:
06-12-2017, 21:53   #22
PukkaStukka

I posted about it in the aviation forum when it passed over me here in north Dublin. At the time it was flying at 27,000ft with an indicated airspeed of 380knots. The drone went in for nearly 10minutes and came and went in waves. I'd have liked to have seen it from the ground but darkness and cloud put paid to it. The bulk of the noise stems from the fact that - as Oscar Bravo put it above - it uses contra rotating propellers on each engine. Russian props are not quiet at the best of times but this particular machine takes noise to new levels. The Russian airforce still uses a number of large "legacy" propeller powered aircraft and all have the same predisposition to making lots of noise! (Google Tupelov 95 and see what I mean )
06-12-2017, 22:12   #23
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Route of that Antonov An-22 from flight radar:

Flew almost directly overhead, but Christ, it must be one fast plane considering that it is now coming into Manchester!

Its ground speed was around 370 knots, and that was with around a 50-knot tailwind at its cruising level of FL270. Much slower than say a Ryanair 737, which would be doing around 500 knots at the same level.

She's some machine alright, with her alternating double props generating that low-frequency hum. But she's nothing compared to her big cousin, the An-225 (Mriya).

06-12-2017, 22:19   #24
Galway_guy_33

I too heard this over head this evening here in the midlands... I checked flightradar to find it the Antonov AN-22 as others have mentioned.

Wonder why its making so many trips to Manchester lately?

I see it used for moving military machinery.... someone getting new equipment i wonder
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-12-2017, 22:24   #25
PukkaStukka

Why am I not surprised that aviation and meteorology are mutual interests among many !
11-12-2017, 22:39   #26
Kristopherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galway_guy_33 View Post
I too heard this over head this evening here in the midlands... I checked flightradar to find it the Antonov AN-22 as others have mentioned.

Wonder why its making so many trips to Manchester lately?

I see it used for moving military machinery.... someone getting new equipment i wonder
Trump getting more ordinance to Israel, no doubt.
14-12-2017, 07:10   #27
M.T. Cranium

Extra weight due to special shipment of shirts for the big guy.
14-12-2017, 14:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkaStukka View Post
Why am I not surprised that aviation and meteorology are mutual interests among many !
Just wait till December 24th
23-08-2019, 14:23   #29
Oneiric 3

Another weird plane sound droning from the dark skies here at the mo. Looked on 'Flight Radar' and it is a similar, if smaller plane what caused the freaky sound that prompted me to open this thread last winter.

People in the midlands and east should hear something weird soon as the 'Antonov An-12BK flies over soon. Still droning away here even though plane is well over the midlands by now.
(2) thanks from:
23-08-2019, 22:12   #30
Monkeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Another weird plane sound droning from the dark skies here at the mo. Looked on 'Flight Radar' and it is a similar, if smaller plane what caused the freaky sound that prompted me to open this thread last winter.

People in the midlands and east should hear something weird soon as the 'Antonov An-12BK flies over soon. Still droning away here even though plane is well over the midlands by now.

noway, I thought it was people heading to penny's for sandals and socks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion