Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-01-2019, 20:07   #16
Tombom1

You cant upload to Ftdna if you done an ancestrydna test recently as there is a new version or something ,works find with gedmatch though.

Is it worth uploading my raw dna to my heritage ,what can I see without paying?
I heard my heritage dont take much care of the data. they got hacked or something? do they sell anonymised dna like 23andme?
Advertisement
18-01-2019, 20:49   #17
pinkypinky

Is there a V3 of the Ancestry test already?

This link suggests they can't take 23andme but can take Ancestry V1 and V2.

My Heritage gives matches, chromosome browser and has a good triangulation tool. You don't need the record matches that come with the subscription - and they're not very accurate for Ireland. Smart matches where it scans names in trees and compares with people in your matches are a subscriber benefit.
Thanks from:
18-01-2019, 20:50   #18
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
You cant upload to Ftdna if you done an ancestrydna test recently as there is a new version or something ,works find with gedmatch though.

Is it worth uploading my raw dna to my heritage ,what can I see without paying?
I heard my heritage dont take much care of the data. they got hacked or something? do they sell anonymised dna like 23andme?
Not sure about hacking but I don’t trust their results past a certain relatedness.
18-01-2019, 21:50   #19
Tombom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Is there a V3 of the Ancestry test already?

This link suggests they can't take 23andme but can take Ancestry V1 and V2.

My Heritage gives matches, chromosome browser and has a good triangulation tool. You don't need the record matches that come with the subscription - and they're not very accurate for Ireland. Smart matches where it scans names in trees and compares with people in your matches are a subscriber benefit.
Im not sure ,there are a lot of us who've got ancestrydna test and cant seem to upload it to ftdna even with mapmy23 tool so maybe its just something on ftdna part gone wrong.

The tree matching thing is nice I guess. Can you message dna matches and view shared matches and all that without the subscription.I have a lot of 4th cousin matches but no close matches bar 3 inactive 2nd cousins on ancestry so Im tempted to try it.
18-01-2019, 21:56   #20
Tombom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Not sure about hacking but I don’t trust their results past a certain relatedness.
how far ? do they use 6cM segments like ancestry or lower?
Advertisement
18-01-2019, 22:41   #21
pinkypinky

Yes, I think you can but I have a subscription, so not certain.
18-01-2019, 23:29   #22
Ipso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
how far ? do they use 6cM segments like ancestry or lower?
Not entirely sure, but I have a lot of matches that they say are low confidence.
They tend to show 0.1% shared DNA.
At 23andme I have 1,400 matches, 3,300 at FTDNA and MyHeritage has me at 8,500
I have a hard time believing they were able to get 8,500 from those two companies and Ancestry.
19-01-2019, 00:20   #23
srmf5

With MyHeritage, I have 4,793 matches (a lot less than Ancestry where there's 29,110 but more than FTDNA where there's 2,650) with the second lowest match and I sharing 8 cM. The odd thing is my lowest match appears as estimated relationship 'not related' so I'm not sure why they're appearing as match. It shows some shared matches with him anyway.

If you upload now, I think there's limited access to matches. The information is here: https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/...line-extended/
Prior to December 2018, you could have full access to matches and ethnicity estimate for free.

I have also found that recent Ancestry results can't be uploaded to FTDNA. I couldn't upload one of my relatives recently.

Last edited by srmf5; 19-01-2019 at 00:27.
19-01-2019, 06:02   #24
pinkypinky

You might share an identical by accident region with that person.

Good to know about FTDNA no longer having the same chip as Ancestry. Gedmatch is still our friend.
I am waiting on results on a paternal 1C1R on FTDNA - then I have one of each for each side of my parents' cousins done. Hoping to use them to create some lazarus kits.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2019, 13:06   #25
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suckit View Post
I am home now for the evening so going to start by uploading the raw data to those two sites and creating accounts on the others.

I uploaded the Raw data to GEDMatch on that evening (15/01/2019) and I am waiting.
Just out of curiosity, how long to wait on average, before I can use it?
I have tried a couple of the tutorials (mainly Kitty Cooper slide), but they don't work, I am guessing it's because my "DNA Resources" still have an Asterisk.

Kits marked with * have not been tokenized and have not completed batch processing
03-02-2019, 14:08   #26
spurious
Category Moderator

You shouldn't be waiting that long. If I were you, I would delete it and re-upload.
Thanks from:
03-02-2019, 15:49   #27
pinkypinky

Yeah, sounds like something went wrong.
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 01:32   #28
Suckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
You shouldn't be waiting that long. If I were you, I would delete it and re-upload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Yeah, sounds like something went wrong.
I deleted it and uploaded it tonight. Worked straight away!!
The green 1..2..3..4..5 etc.
went straight away tonight, but the last time it was doing it for ages.

I'm on Genesis now (wasn't before, had a big warning page about Genesis).

I've just tried the Eurogene K15 and hunter gatherer. Worked perfectly.

But no idea really what it's showing me yet (percentage of ancestry).

Thanks.
(2) thanks from:
04-02-2019, 10:44   #29
pinkypinky

Probably will take a day or two to get your matches list. I haven't seen the genesis version yet.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion