Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 01:36   #31
Peregrinus

"Through faculties given to me by the Archbishop, they were dispensed from banns."

"By virtue of a faculty given to me by the Archbishop, they were dispensed from banns."

(And, for the honours students, "ARCHREPISCOPO" is misspelt in both transcriptions. It should be "ARCHIEPISCOPO".)

It means that not only did Stephen and Mary (and, previously, Stephen and Anne) get a dispensation from the usual obligation to have banns of marriage published, but they got the dispensation not from the Archbishop, but from the priest who married them, he having been authorised by the Archbishop to give dispensations on the Archbishop's behalf.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 12:18   #32
leck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
... they got the dispensation not from the Archbishop, but from the priest who married them, he having been authorised by the Archbishop to give dispensations on the Archbishop's behalf.
Peregrinus, thank you very much. I see that this particular priest made a habit of this. A search of rootsireland for other marriages around 1897 showed all the others I looked at (abt half dozen) all had the same note.
12-02-2019, 22:48   #33
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leck View Post

"VI FACULATUM MIHI ARCHREPISCOPO CONCESSARUM DISPENSANTUR IN BANNIS" - DISPENSATION.

In addition to what Peregrinus has written and the misspelling, it also is 'dog Latin' as even in the mangled syntax of the above phrase it should be 'Vim'. not 'Vi', as it is the accusative case of 'vis', a third declension noun. The poor old priest probably had memories of a lecture on Martin Luther's 'Non vi, sed verbo' .
PS As I write, Led Zeppelin are on Lyric, bringing me right back tothe era of my Longmans and 'De Bello Gallico' of all those years ago!

Last edited by pedroeibar1; 12-02-2019 at 22:53. Reason: PS
13-02-2019, 01:42   #34
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
In addition to what Peregrinus has written and the misspelling, it also is 'dog Latin' as even in the mangled syntax of the above phrase it should be 'Vim'. not 'Vi', as it is the accusative case of 'vis', a third declension noun. The poor old priest probably had memories of a lecture on Martin Luther's 'Non vi, sed verbo' .
PS As I write, Led Zeppelin are on Lyric, bringing me right back tothe era of my Longmans and 'De Bello Gallico' of all those years ago!
Not accusative, ablative - "by the power of a faculty given to me . . .". I think vi is correct.
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 08:46   #35
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Not accusative, ablative - "by the power of a faculty given to me . . .". I think vi is correct.
I see where you are coming from and it has merit. However, as the dispensation is facilitated ‘through’ the power granted, I inferred that the correct (dropped) preposition should be ‘per’ which would take the accusative (and not ‘a/ab/ex' and the ablative). Hardly worth arguing about.
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 09:00   #36
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
. . . Hardly worth arguing about.
That consideration has never stopped me.
13-02-2019, 09:44   #37
pinkypinky

Stop being pedantic you two!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion