Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Millionaire Chess

Options
  • 12-10-2015 9:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody been watching?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Yes, Le Quang Liem eliminated Lenderman 2-0 and is in the final.

Nakamura and Yu Yangyi had two draws in 25-minute rapid and are now playing their second (faster) cycle of games to decide who reaches the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

OK thanks. I just switched on today
    I thought it was on later this month
    The format is a bit strange. Is the final played at rapid time controls also?

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    OK thanks. I just switched on today
    I thought it was on later this month
    The format is a bit strange. Is the final played at rapid time controls also?

https://millionairechess.com/

You have missed most of the fun but can still catch the final games.
    There was a 7-round Swiss at normal time limits starting last Thursday.
    The top four were going through to today's finals.

Le Quang Liem (Vietnamese GM at university in the States), Lenderman and Yu Yangyi had the best score. Nine or ten players half a point behind (including Nakamura, So, Luke McShane, Caruana) had a playoff on Sunday Afternoon (wee hours Monday our time) to decide the final place for the knockouts. Nakamura came through.

There arre separate 4-player knockouts for lower rating groups and for the sub-2200 tournaments. The remaining players had two more rounds earlier today to complete a 9-round swiss for norm chances and smaller prizes but there's been zero publicity for that.

Now Yu Yangyi and Nakamura have played a third draw and soon will play again with Nakamura as White. If that's also drawn, they have faster playoffs, rather like the recent World Cup ending in an armageddon if necessary.

The commentary (also available on chess24) is a bit annoying as they also cover the lesser knockouts. The final probably won't start until about midnight Irish time. I'm not sure but I think the time limit for the finals will be the same as for the semis.

Great! Thanks for the explanation. I am watching now. I'll try catch up on earlier rounds during the week. That's a lot of money for quick time controls. Pretty exciting

Next game (starts very soon) 15-min each with 5-sec delay.
    (That's not the same as increment.)

If drawn they have two blitz (5-mins with 2-sec delay) and finally if necessary armageddon.

I'm not going to bed until I know if Hikaru is through but I won't stay up for the final.

The big fuss was in round 7 when the McShane-Nakamura game went 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 d6 3 d4 cd 4 Nxd4 Nf6 5 Nc3 a6 6 Be3 Ng4 7 Bc1 Nf6 8 Be3 Ng4 9 Bc1 and Nakamura said he wanted to claim a draw by 3-fold repetition though the Millionaire Chess rules forbade this without controller's approval. Eventually they were allowed to do it.

• Advertisement

Actually seems there will be a delay as they have to wait for a 100+ move game to finish in one of the lower sections...

They've started...

Chess24 annoyingly froze but the game is at http://www.chessdom.com/millionaire-monday-finals-2015-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

There is a Michael D Higgins playing in the U2000 section, doing pretty well too.

I'm watching on the main site. Looks like naka has the win

• Advertisement

Yes it will be Nakamura in the final but he nearly blew the rook ending. Then 60...Rd1? made it much easier for White.

Winner gets 100,000 US dollars and loser in the final gets 50,000. Silly money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Final is in eighty minutes, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Final is in eighty minutes, right?

Says 5pm Pacific standard time so thats 1am our time so yeah.
    Theres still live matches going on in some of the lower sections, big prize money at stake there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Right now they're interviewing someone from the U1400 section where 1st prize is $24,000. Nice work if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Yreval wrote: »
    Right now they're interviewing someone from the U1400 section where 1st prize is $24,000. Nice work if you can get it.

Flights ~ €600
    Hotel ~ €300 per night
    Millionaire Chess entry fee ~ €900
    Getting your dreams crushed in Round 1 by some Cuban sandbagger - Priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

That was game 1 of the final, actually. Still, that's a problem with huge prizes in lower sections - it's going to be sandbaggers as far as the eye can see.

Advertisement