Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So I'm going to live in the woods.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Id say its a cop out if you have a kindle with internet access etc so you can read the news, chat to your mates etc.

If it just loaded up with a book or two I'd say it's fine. Only downside is you've to be so careful you keep it dry or it's just a waste of space.

What do you mean a cop out? He's not competing for some sort of wilderness survival prize, he can bring what he wants. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Id say its a cop out if you have a kindle with internet access etc so you can read the news, chat to your mates etc.

If it just loaded up with a book or two I'd say it's fine. Only downside is you've to be so careful you keep it dry or it's just a waste of space.

survive.jpg

Looks about right to me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bmc58

Tabnabs wrote: »
    There is no public land in Ireland, you're on someone's private land, land belonging to Coilte or the National Parks & Wildlife Service. It's one thing to wildcamp for a weekend in the mountains, but a whole other issue to live to two/three months in the same place.
    I thought the lands owned by the state belonged to all Irish citizens(myself included).And as such I have a right to be on those lands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bmc58 wrote: »
    I thought the lands owned by the state belonged to all Irish citizens(myself included).And as such I have a right to be on those lands.

A jaysus no, sure then they'd be effectively lawless and anybody could do what. Can't have that! All coilte land fall under "FORESTRY ACT 1988 (SECTION 37) (COILLTE TEORANTA) BYE-LAWS 2009"

The State and you (as a private citizen) are opposite and unequal, they do as they please with their land and you do what pleases them on your land...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

It's not so much of a cop out as a long term survival strategy... but then again where do we draw the line with that? No matter how carefully preserved, books will eventually crumble to dust, should we as Survivalists be building our own printing presses or engraving on stone tablets just to be on the safe side? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's not so much of a cop out as a long term survival strategy... but then again where do we draw the line with that? No matter how carefully preserved, books will eventually crumble to dust, should we as Survivalists be building our own printing presses or engraving on stone tablets just to be on the safe side? :)

Never had to But I'm sure books can be very useful for survival strategy. They can be:
    *read
    *used for fire lighting (terrible thing to do to a good book but a bad book - hey!)
    *emergency toilet roll - ditto
    *insulation
    *a weight
    *as temporary furniture ie small seat or table

And the Kindle?
    *read books if you have power
    *Access internet / email if you have internet access
    * Without power / internet? Frisbee perhaps!

gozunda wrote: »
    But books can be very useful for survival strategy. They can be:
    *read
    *used for fire lighting (terrible thing to do to a good book but a bad book - hey!)
    *emergency toilet roll
    *insulation
    *a weight
    *as temporary furniture ie small seat or table

And the Kindle?
    *read books if you have power
    *Access internet / email if you have internet access
    * Without power / internet? Frisbee perhaps!

But for the key task of having reading material available to keep the madness at bay here's how they stack up:

Kindle:

~200 grams.

200 books:

~100 kg.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

But for the key task of having reading material available to keep the madness at bay here's how they stack up:

Kindle:

~200 grams.

200 books:

~100 kg.

:pac:

plenty of exercise lifting the books..

I prefer printed books to anything on kindle..

CamperMan wrote: »
    plenty of exercise lifting the books..

I prefer printed books to anything on kindle..

Getting a bit off topic now, but I've never really understood the distinction. When I get engrossed in a book I forget that I'm even reading, let alone what I'm reading from, so it will never make sense to me why some people cling so hard to the old print media. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

InTheTrees wrote: »
    There isnt anywhere remote in Ireland.

You should come over here to the Pacific Northwest. You can hire a floatplane to fly you out into the wilderness.

You could build yourself a house on a lake with a few aces of garden and live there and nobody would ever know, there's so much space.

Sounds great..and to think I was close to doing just that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Tom17

Well maybe not that committed just yet but certainly thinking about easing myself into it before this summer ends. I'd imagine there has been plenty of people before me with this brain wave so hopefully I will pick up some good old sage wisdom on here { I haven't checked other threads much} Basically I'll be pitching camp at a secluded location for 1-2 weeks to get accustomed to the serious downgrade in living comforts, get a proper idea of rationing, and what the essentials may be. { ..and no I haven't just seen or read Into the Wild}.
    With the overall objective to go back and stay 2-3 months and hopefully next Spring maybe till winter. Has anybody got any ideas on locations {in Leinster}, do's and don'ts, top 3 items apart from the obvious that could be very helpfull? The reason Im thinking of doing this is because right now, I got no job, I got no woman, I got no kids and I got no mortgage.{these are all good things by the way I'm not destitute}...so I think now is as good a time as any! Also to a greater degree it's more of an experiment in living off the grid {to a point} I fish a lot, love camping and nature, I'm a chef so I know my way around a blade, starting fires but not much on hunting. Anyway I appreciate any advice and wot-not. Cheers!

Ps..any donations of 2nd hand tools/equipment would be great.

Very nice.

What will you be staying in?.

- A Tent?.

Example to bring:
    - A tent
    - Sleep bag
    - Map
    - Head lamp / Flash lights (7dayshop.com)
    - Lighter/Matches
    - Pan,
    - Swiss Knife

Foods:
    - Rum,Nicotine Gum,etc.
    - Water,Food,Mushrooms,etc.

Medicine:
    - Painkillers , antibiotics,med kit , etc.

Maybe, bring a phone, but only use it for real contacts. you need to get away from technology, so no phone/laptop/etc for personal use.

Also, what about camping near a beach for example?. (of course a quite beach).

And food supplies,etc?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Tom17

Yeah, don't bring loads of phones/laptops/etc.

Bring books, lots and lots of books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

What do you mean a cop out? He's not competing for some sort of wilderness survival prize, he can bring what he wants. :confused:

Of course he can bring whats, I was replying to another post re 'a cop out'.
    chopper6 wrote: »
    Nah man...bring a pencil and paper and write a book about your experiences.. Bringing an electronic device is a cop out imo

My opinion is that going to live in the woods would be more rewarding if you got away from day to day life for a while, so no internet/constant updates on people's baby photos and dinner pics. I'm not suggesting he's to go off and drink his p*ss.

My opinion is that going to live in the woods would be more rewarding if you got away from day to day life for a while, so no internet/constant updates on people's baby photos and dinner pics. I'm not suggesting he's to go off and drink his p*ss.

Couldn't you just bring a KIndle that doesn't have the 3G feature? Mine doesn't. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Couldn't you just bring a KIndle that doesn't have the 3G feature? Mine doesn't. :-D

Mines even more basic, it's fictitious. I'd love one of them though.

No doubt when the printing press came out there were some people who complained that mass produced books took all the fun out of handwritten manuscripts... :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

No doubt when the printing press came out there were some people who complained that mass produced books took all the fun out of handwritten manuscripts... :-D

Damn right. These new fangled contraptions are wrecking the oldschool buzz.

Ogham stones ftw.

ogham1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bentob0x

Hi everyone,

I am interested in finding a good quality solar charger, what would your recommendations be? I have been searching online and there are quite a few that seem pretty reasonable such as Magnum Solar 12 pack and Goal Zero Nomad 13 Panel. Any suggestions would be useful and I appreciate it in advance.

Advertisement