Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So I'm going to live in the woods.

Options
  • 09-07-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Well maybe not that committed just yet but certainly thinking about easing myself into it before this summer ends. I'd imagine there has been plenty of people before me with this brain wave so hopefully I will pick up some good old sage wisdom on here { I haven't checked other threads much} Basically I'll be pitching camp at a secluded location for 1-2 weeks to get accustomed to the serious downgrade in living comforts, get a proper idea of rationing, and what the essentials may be. { ..and no I haven't just seen or read Into the Wild}.
    With the overall objective to go back and stay 2-3 months and hopefully next Spring maybe till winter. Has anybody got any ideas on locations {in Leinster}, do's and don'ts, top 3 items apart from the obvious that could be very helpfull? The reason Im thinking of doing this is because right now, I got no job, I got no woman, I got no kids and I got no mortgage.{these are all good things by the way I'm not destitute}...so I think now is as good a time as any! Also to a greater degree it's more of an experiment in living off the grid {to a point} I fish a lot, love camping and nature, I'm a chef so I know my way around a blade, starting fires but not much on hunting. Anyway I appreciate any advice and wot-not. Cheers!

Ps..any donations of 2nd hand tools/equipment would be great.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Well maybe not that committed just yet but certainly thinking about easing myself into it before this summer ends. I'd imagine there has been plenty of people before me with this brain wave so hopefully I will pick up some good old sage wisdom on here { I haven't checked other threads much} Basically I'll be pitching camp at a secluded location for 1-2 weeks to get accustomed to the serious downgrade in living comforts, get a proper idea of rationing, and what the essentials may be. { ..and no I haven't just seen or read Into the Wild}.
    With the overall objective to go back and stay 2-3 months and hopefully next Spring maybe till winter. Has anybody got any ideas on locations {in Leinster}, do's and don'ts, top 3 items apart from the obvious that could be very helpfull? The reason Im thinking of doing this is because right now, I got no job, I got no woman, I got no kids and I got no mortgage.{these are all good things by the way I'm not destitute}...so I think now is as good a time as any! Also to a greater degree it's more of an experiment in living off the grid {to a point} I fish a lot, love camping and nature, I'm a chef so I know my way around a blade, starting fires but not much on hunting. Anyway I appreciate any advice and wot-not. Cheers!

What part of Leinster are you in fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stuey Byrne

Hey Im in Lucan Dublin, ideally I would head towards the Wicklow, Arcklow area but they are just the areas I would be vaguely familiar with. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Who's land are you going to eat, sleep and poop on. Do you have permission?

No permission, totally under the radar. Best to avoid all functioning roads, trails and paths I guess. Where's the adventure in "permission"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There is no public land in Ireland, you're on someone's private land, land belonging to Coilte or the National Parks & Wildlife Service. It's one thing to wildcamp for a weekend in the mountains, but a whole other issue to live to two/three months in the same place.

• Advertisement

So your saying I could apply for permission? Whats the success rate I wonder? I hadnt really planned in staying in 1 area for all that time, so as not to leave much of a footprint I would plan for a base camp and move in a 10km radius of that, over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

So your saying I could apply for permission? Whats the success rate I wonder?

Zero

My point exactly, how counter-productive it would be to follow the rules of a system while simultaneously trying to avoid the system. Sure I nearly got fined last year for fishing for Perch on the Liffey. It defeats the point of government if people start living off the grid...I get it....I just choose to disregard it.

You could try around the slieve blooms swell?
    Add to the difficulty of not knowing the location?
    If you want an idea for traps etc let me know.that's something I'd definitely be well educated in :D

Thanks ...im looking forward to doing a little whittling by a stream ...

I think some people may be against my idea, regarding legislation etc..

Im not doing it as a gesture of sticking it to the man, I just want to go and take stock, reflect, learn about myself etc....My intentions are pure and with zero imposition on anybodies personal dwellings. And minimal carbon footprint of course :)

I reckon more people should do it?

• Advertisement

I can get where your coming from.I'd love to do the same.and will eventually!!
    Would love to do it somewhere with plenty of wilderness and more danger than a horsefly bite :D

Say, mountainous areas of Borneo :)

You want to live off grid around Wicklow though, not the northern boreal forest. Chances are you'll be at the end of someones garden, their bottom field or beside an MTB trail.

If you want off grid and room to roam, how about 11,000 hectares? http://www.coillte.ie/aboutcoillte/news/article/view/irelands-first-wilderness-project-launched/

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You want to live off grid around Wicklow though, not the northern boreal forest. Chances are you'll be at the end of someones garden, their bottom field or beside an MTB trail.

If you want off grid and room to roam, how about 11,000 hectares?

Thats perfect, pretty much exactly what I was looking for, as much as possible not to step on anybody's toes, while attempting to be neutral with the environment, Thanks.

I guess I'm lucky I'm not of my fathers generation or I would have been
    shipped off to the monastery for having notions such as these
    {Sure isnt it the lord himself who calls you to service child} wink wink ;)

I guess I'm lucky I'm not of my fathers generation or I would have been
    shipped off to the monastery for having notions such as these
    {Sure isnt it the lord himself who calls you to service child} wink wink ;)
    Didn't the J-man himself partake in a bit of survivalism in the desert for 40 days and nights ;-)

Exactly...I'm like Jesus!

Don't forget a good razor/blade or you'll look like him too!!
    So what sort of kit are you planning to start off with?
    Maybe some of the lads here with experience might be able to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Cracking idea my friend. Would love to do it some day but unlike yourself, I'm not so free. Not to put a downer on it but how will you keep in touch with people? Have you thought about what to do if you break your leg or get food poisoning? I'm not trying to deter you here, just what occurred to me as I was reading your thread. With a bit of good planning I think it is more then possible to live off the land for an extended period and I for one will do what ever I can to help you once your going about it the right way.
    For me it would be more about sticking it to the man, or woman ( I'm an equal opportunities fight the machine kind of survivalist)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There isnt anywhere remote in Ireland.

You should come over here to the Pacific Northwest. You can hire a floatplane to fly you out into the wilderness.

You could build yourself a house on a lake with a few aces of garden and live there and nobody would ever know, there's so much space.

Well for a start I'm trained in 1st aid so that's a plus, but it aint so easy doing it on yourself. Im not as adventurous to start hiking rocky areas I tend to take the safest option. I will have a phone with extra charger etc for emergency, the right amount of people know what my plans are, i'll have lift arranged prior to camping do a rekky, so they know the exact location of where i'll be. As the other guy pointed out, we're not exactly remote enough so I aim to be within an hours walk to some amenities, phone, garda, etc..I'll be taking my trusty leather-man multi tool, first aid kit, tent, mattress, clothes, 2 zippos, fuel, and extra fuel, torch, headlamp, mini gas stove plus crockery etc....I admit it's gonna take some real organizing. Food poisoning doesn't worry me too much as im a qualified chef so am fairly savvy with cross contamination issues etc, supplies of meds like anti histamines, vitamins, water purifying tablets....and plenty of good books! Obviously a good hunting knife, compass, insect repellent!

Should be a blast!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Don't forget a shovel for taking care of business & some toilet roll or wet wipes. ;)

Yep that was my plan, old skool ditch bog. There's a composting method for human waste, more for a long term approach but worth a look I think.
    Nice one on the wet wipes though, I wouldn't go old skool when it comes to that!

Also a deck of cards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Hi Stuey,

Ah living off the land, it's the dream! I think this will be a very exciting if challenging experience for you.

I am actually in the process of buying some land near Tipperary, three acres of which is Woodland. Once the paperwork comes through (around Christmas), if you or any of my fellow Survivalists here want to chance their arm, you'd be most welcome.

As for legal issues, naturally we can't endorse you breaking the law. That said trespass is a civil offence and I really think the worst that would happen in the first instance is that you'd be asked to move along. I imagine in the interests of adventure though you're not planning on staying in one place for too long a time?

Will you have access to the internet while you're away? I have a lovely little solar charger for mobile phones if you think that might work? I think it would be really interesting if you kept a daily log of the challenges you've overcome, your experience would be invaluable to the rest of us.

Yep that was my plan, old skool ditch bog. There's a composting method for human waste, more for a long term approach but worth a look I think.
    Nice one on the wet wipes though, I wouldn't go old skool when it comes to that!

Also a deck of cards !

Also have a few glow sticks, emergency shelter and ten gallon water carrier I picked up from the Euro saver store if that's any use to you chief? I'd be more than happy to mail them to you wherever you are, they're very light. Might as well take advantage while you still have a mailbox. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Sum 1s been living in the forest I mountain bike in.

Seen a few shoddily made shelters remnants of a fire and a pile of nibbled pine cones... ironically the bear grylls episode where he eats pine cones was on Discovery two days before. (Can afford sky, but not a roof over their heads)

househero wrote: »
    Sum 1s been living in the forest I mountain bike in.

Seen a few shoddily made shelters remnants of a fire and a pile of nibbled pine cones... ironically the bear grylls episode where he eats pine cones was on Discovery two days before. (Can afford sky, but not a roof over their heads)

Couldn't they have just read about the episode in a discarded TV guide or newspaper? :-D

Hi Stuey,

Ah living off the land, it's the dream! I think this will be a very exciting if challenging experience for you.

I am actually in the process of buying some land near Tipperary, three acres of which is Woodland. Once the paperwork comes through (around Christmas), if you or any of my fellow Survivalists here want to chance their arm, you'd be most welcome.

As for legal issues, naturally we can't endorse you breaking the law. That said trespass is a civil offence and I really think the worst that would happen in the first instance is that you'd be asked to move along. I imagine in the interests of adventure though you're not planning on staying in one place for too long a time?

Will you have access to the internet while you're away? I have a lovely little solar charger for mobile phones if you think that might work? I think it would be really interesting if you kept a daily log of the challenges you've overcome, your experience would be invaluable to the rest of us.

Wow that's an amazing idea about tipp, will defo keep in mind! I had already checked the legality of doing what Im doing and your right its a civil matter and not a criminal offence, and if anybody were to confront me about it I would be polite and leave. It's all about peace and love man :). As for staying in one place. I'd like to stay in one area and be able to camp and different sites within that area. Yea a personal journal/notebook is a perfect idea, good way of grounding myself daily when the loneliness creeps in, { which I'm sure it will.} But i am hoping to use as much solar power as possible...if you have one that would be amazing. That other stuff you got could come in very handy too, glow sticks are a great idea, wouldn't have thought of them will keep you posted as to dates when I figure them out. They got some great solar stuff on ebay, plus loads of outdoor gadgets, but less is more I guess when roughing it outdoors! Not sure whether I want/need access to internet...its something ill figure out along the way, but definitely, 2 phones both with 2 batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's one thing to live on your own in actual wilderness that you have all to yourself. You could do whatever you wanted.

I don't know about Nephin Beg, but there isn't really much in the way of wilderness in Ireland. So it's not possible to just do whatever you want.

It's not just camping in the woods. It's camping in the woods on your own. You could be bored stiff after a few days, unless you had enough to do. If you were in a real wilderness, you could go hunting, fishing, or maybe even panning for gold. But you won't be free to do anything you want.

So that could be another issue: boredom.

I'd say bring a Kindle, loaded up with books. And a solar charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

there is a guy apparently living in a tent for weeks at a time in a valley a couple of miles from me. so it can be done.

Forget leinster OP for craziness on this level you need to go out west I'm sure you rent a field (read scrubland) off some old fella for reasonable money and set up camp under a tree where you won't be seen. Brosna in north kerry or somewhere around in Caherdaniel in south kerry is pretty much indian territory.

I'm sure Mayo would be well set up for this kind of thing too!

I would look out for someone with an unused or half built site that needs the money once it had roof and doors on it and away from the main roads you would be golden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Just in relation to the Solar charger being mentioned by 'The Mustard', I have one of them and they're the business. During the good weather over the last few weeks I was able to get almost a 60% charge off the sun in the time I was in work, around 10 hours. That's equal to 2 or 3 full smart phone charges.

Hugely recommend them.

Advertisement