Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

About the only advantage I can see there is that you'd be damned to cut the session in any way.

* 4 reps in: Ah, Jaysus, I'm exhausted, might call it a day. One minute, this flipping track cost me HOW MUCH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Itziger wrote: »
    About the only advantage I can see there is that you'd be damned to cut the session in any way.

* 4 reps in: Ah, Jaysus, I'm exhausted, might call it a day. One minute, this flipping track cost me HOW MUCH?

ha ha good point!

I really have no problem however spending a tenner once in a blue moon to use a track. I save a fortune these days not boozing and smoking every day of the week so no biggie. If I can achieve my target time it'll certainly be worth a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭straps

Running socks over normal cotton socks?

Is there a benefit to wearing them over cheap ankle socks.
    Discus pro n cons of each. As of yet I'm only a normal ankle sock. Pros are they are cheap. I have tons of them so when they are worn down I can bin them!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

straps wrote: »

Discus pro n cons of each. As of yet I'm only a normal ankle sock. Pros are they are cheap. I have tons of them so when they are worn down I can bin them!

I think it depends on the individual. If you have no problems with running in cotton socks then keep using them. Some people have issues with blisters or infections so need specific socks. I usually go with the running socks in Lidl/Aldi - 3 quid a pair and no problems with them for marathon distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

straps wrote: »

I use the cheapo cotton socks for short/normal runs but for anything fast/long or in particularly hot weather they'll give me blisters so I use the 1000 mile socks. They have a dual layer so the idea is that the sock takes the friction rather than your foot. They're expensive at around €10 a pair but they last for years (literally) and are well worth it imo.

• Advertisement

I buy the microfiber trainer socks from Penneys, they're not cotton and they wick away moisture, without being a drain on the wallet!! 3.50 for 5 pairs.

I never wear cotton socks just because my feet get too warm, so I guess that's a personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

LAldi cheapo running socks all the way for me. Ran almost 2,000 miles in about 4 pairs last year and never got a blister. Seems to be different for everyone so just do what works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

Aldi socks all the way for me, never had any problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

libelula wrote: »
    I use the cheapo cotton socks for short/normal runs but for anything fast/long or in particularly hot weather they'll give me blisters so I use the 1000 mile socks. They have a dual layer so the idea is that the sock takes the friction rather than your foot. They're expensive at around €10 a pair but they last for years (literally) and are well worth it imo.

I second this. Used to get annoying small little blisters until I starting wearing these. They were 13 in Elverys I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I buy all my socks in the Asics shop in Kildare outlet. I can't run in cotton socks as my feet get too hot and sweaty and it's like tying sandbags to my feet. Wicking socks do the trick and ok for blisters, longer distance for me needs vaseline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Mostly do short runs with Aldi running socks or longer runs in 1000 mile socks which are the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I just did a very slow and uncomfortable 6k in the cotton socks I had worn in work boots all day. That'll never happen again, I have running socks I got somewhere recently and they'll be getting worn for every run from now on. I felt like my feet were on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I use normal cotton socks but now i eant to try some running ones out. I do get a blister on my left foot on 7 mile runs. Hopefully it helps

Going to throw this one out and see if anyone has words of wisdom. Long shot, eh ;)

So, it turns out I've got a free entry to the Lux marathon this Saturday. I have done a couple of Halfs this year so far and have been training for another at end of June.I'm around 1.22 shape, maybe a tiny bit faster. I did a 28k run a few weeks ago and a slow and tough 32k last Sunday. My Autumn target will be the old 2.59.

Anyway the random question........what pace should I try on Saturday night? I'm thinking of attempting 3hr 20mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I buy the microfiber trainer socks from Penneys, they're not cotton and they wick away moisture, without being a drain on the wallet!! 3.50 for 5 pairs.

I never wear cotton socks just because my feet get too warm, so I guess that's a personal preference.

Speaking of Pennys.....I got 3 pairs of New Balance for 3.50 a number of weeks ago. Really good quality. Better than those 1000 mile socks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Going to throw this one out and see if anyone has words of wisdom. Long shot, eh ;)

So, it turns out I've got a free entry to the Lux marathon this Saturday. I have done a couple of Halfs this year so far and have been training for another at end of June.I'm around 1.22 shape, maybe a tiny bit faster. I did a 28k run a few weeks ago and a slow and tough 32k last Sunday. My Autumn target will be the old 2.59.

Anyway the random question........what pace should I try on Saturday night? I'm thinking of attempting 3hr 20mins or so.

Depends on how quick you want to recover after it. I normally do a couple of marathons every 2-3 weeks instead of 20-22 milers when in base phase. Have got used to it and can recover within 4-5 days I run them 30 or so minutes of what I would race one so maybe 3:30 might be wiser.

Fair point, I do want to recover relatively quickly. Have a 'target' Half 4 weeks afterwards. Obviously I'll be taking it easy next week one way or another.

3.30 is a definite possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

i use running socks with a cotton pair over them to soften the pounding.
    find it ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Fair point, I do want to recover relatively quickly. Have a 'target' Half 4 weeks afterwards. Obviously I'll be taking it easy next week one way or another.

3.30 is a definite possibility.

I'd recommend a negative split maybe starting at 3:30 pace to halfway and doing the second half at 3:20. I can't honestly remember how I determined that a negative split is a good idea but there was some logic behind it and I have seen some evidence that a positive split has a bad impact on training and a negative split a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Clearlier wrote: »
    I'd recommend a negative split maybe starting at 3:30 pace to halfway and doing the second half at 3:20. I can't honestly remember how I determined that a negative split is a good idea but there was some logic behind it and I have seen some evidence that a positive split has a bad impact on training and a negative split a good one.
    Further to that, it's a big ask, big if you could finish at your planned marathon pace (6:50'ish) it'd be a massive boost. It would mean running very comfortably for the first 20-23 miles and then pick it up for the last few. It would really stand to you (but understandably is a tall order).

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, appreciated.

Krusty, I agree that finishing comfortable and fast would be great, only problem is the profile is against that.
    http://www.ing-night-marathon.lu/files/ing-night-marathon/content/Plaene/Plan%20Hoehenprofil%202015/Hoehenprofile_ING-Luxembourg.jpg

Just back from a nice relaxed 9k jog. Legs feeling ok. As I was tipping along I was tossing ideas around (as you do, right?) and one daydream plan was to go out like a madman at say 4 min/km pace for 30k and struggle home for the last 12! About 0.7% of my brain thinks there's nothing wrong with this plan.

Hopefully, on the night reason wins out and I do something along the lines of what you both suggest above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks lads, appreciated.

Krusty, I agree that finishing comfortable and fast would be great, only problem is the profile is against that.
    http://www.ing-night-marathon.lu/files/ing-night-marathon/content/Plaene/Plan%20Hoehenprofil%202015/Hoehenprofile_ING-Luxembourg.jpg

Just back from a nice relaxed 9k jog. Legs feeling ok. As I was tipping along I was tossing ideas around (as you do, right?) and one daydream plan was to go out like a madman at say 4 min/km pace for 30k and struggle home for the last 12! About 0.7% of my brain thinks there's nothing wrong with this plan.

Hopefully, on the night reason wins out and I do something along the lines of what you both suggest above.

How about the approach they use in the Athlone 3/4 marathon which is running at 5% slower than your MP?
    - 3:00 Marathon Pace Group: Planned 2:22 for 3/4 Marathon = approx. 4:30/km = approx. 7:15/mile

Why are shorter hill sprints (8-10sec) thought to be better than the traditional longer ones (60 sec), please and thanks? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

libelula wrote: »
    Why are shorter hill sprints (8-10sec) thought to be better than the traditional longer ones (60 sec), please and thanks? :)
    Can anyone sprint up a hill for 60 seconds?

Have a read of Magness article in hill-sprinting. The benefits he calls out are all of the reasons why you can't do it for 60 seconds. The general goal of hill sprinting (from my limited understanding) is to encourage good running form (comfortable sprinting without heel striking (in the words of Magness) and you won't be able to hold good running form while trying to sprint uphill for 60 seconds.

If your goal is not running form based (i.e. cardio-based), then longer hill repeats may suit better, but that's a different type of workout.

Brilliant- will do, thanks K!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Speaking of Pennys.....I got 3 pairs of New Balance for 3.50 a number of weeks ago. Really good quality. Better than those 1000 mile socks anyway!

+1, those NB socks are great value - just don't let TRR catch you wearing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are Penneys still selling those NB socks?

Badly need to refresh my sock army

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I ran my most milage of this month at 51 miles. Im delighted but i did some HIIT today and felt awful how i almost died doing it..i hsvent "sprinted" since playing football late last year. Should i incorporate HIIT into my weekly routine? I loved the feeling after sprints almost as much as i hated it!!

IM going to train for a 10 mile race so would lowering long runs to 2 days a week and doing HIIT another be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I ran my most milage of this month at 51 miles. Im delighted but i did some HIIT today and felt awful how i almost died doing it..i hsvent "sprinted" since playing football late last year. Should i incorporate HIIT into my weekly routine? I loved the feeling after sprints almost as much as i hated it!!

IM going to train for a 10 mile race so would lowering long runs to 2 days a week and doing HIIT another be ok?

Runners call it Intervals or strides ;)

Intervals are where you do sustained running at a faster pace (anywhere between your 1 mile and 5k pace) with fixed recovery. Say 10 x 200m at mile pace or 10 x 400m At 3k pace or 6 x 800m @ 5k pace. Recovery could be anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. you can do a mile or two to warm up before doing the fast stuff and another mile or two to 'cool down'. If you don't have access to a track or distance markers then just do a fixed distance or run fast to time (1, 2, 3 minutes)

Strides are where you do 10-20 seconds at a faster pace (80-90% of sprint) at the end of your easy run, you will often see people doing 6-10 strides as part of an easy run.

You say you are doing 3 longer runs a week? You should really only do your longest run once a week and the other ones should be a bit shorter. So why not make one of your shorter runs into a speed session as above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

MarkY91 wrote: »

I would start incorporating some strides at the end of your runs. These are by no means all out sprints rather a controlled effort. You could start out with 4-5 X 100 at the end of your run just to keep your legs sharp. Too much easy / steady running without speed work can leave the legs feeling a bit stale. Maybe the reason your legs felt that way after the sprints.

Advertisement