Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which cc

• 29-10-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi folks, just wondering which cc went through dunlavin co Wicklow today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Derek, a group of us from Naas CC were on a morning spin which included Dunlavin this morning - stopped for quick coffee in the Centra shop in the village before heading out the road to Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

jrar wrote: »
    Derek, a group of us from Naas CC were on a morning spin which included Dunlavin this morning - stopped for quick coffee in the Centra shop in the village before heading out the road to Hollywood.

Cue the "well you fcukers did xyz and didn't do abc..." rant ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derek897

Thanks, do naas cc accommodate hybrids at all do you know. I understand that hybrids and road bike can't be in the same group :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

derek897 wrote: »
    Thanks, do naas cc accommodate hybrids at all do you know. I understand that hybrids and road bike can't be in the same group :)

I was in a group with some on Sunday who didnt have a road bike. He got dropped to many times that it become frustrating for the rest of the group. Defo worth looking for a hybrid only group

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

godtabh wrote: »
    I was in a group with some on Sunday who didnt have a road bike. He got dropped to many times that it become frustrating for the rest of the group. Defo worth looking for a hybrid only group

Were you out on an Orwell white spin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

derek897 wrote: »

Some members of our club have hybrids and they've never been turned away from a club spin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Reservoir Cogs (based in Blessington) welcomes cyclist of all abilities and don't have a road bike only rule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kenmc wrote: »
    Were you out on an Orwell white spin?

I was. You?

I was. You?

I was one of the "leaders" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

kuro_man wrote: »
    Reservoir Cogs (based in Blessington) welcomes cyclist of all abilities and don't have a road bike only rule.

Unless, I would imagine, you turned up on a full TT rig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Unless, I would imagine, you turned up on a full TT rig?

If they stay up front , let everyone else draft them and buy the coffee, then why not?

I was one of the "leaders" :)

Good ride. About 65km by my reckoning in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Good ride. About 65km by my reckoning in the end.

He was the leader of the slow group, I was helping out in the fast group. :p

I know, I know, you had a puncturer - but that's no excuse!

buffalo wrote: »

What is a puncturer? Is it someone who is placed within a group by a team leader to act like a sleeper agent and then, when the time is right, become active and start causing punctures of the rivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Was out with the orange group (plus was one of the "punctures" ...... Who did not get the gas cannister). Good spin, but boy was I cold and hitting the proverbial wall on the way home. We left roundwood as a group of 8 but only 4 of us made the run home along the scalp road together.

Wouldn't do those km's in those conditions on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Since this has surreptitiously turned out to be an Orwell thread, I would like to add that I was out with red group from park on Sunday.
    Only my second spin with Orwell, but I really enjoyed it. Small group of 7. Some excellent leadership and encouragement from the club members. Full of advice. Feedback and advice was given in a friendly and encouraging manner.
    Much appreciated. The members I question are a credit to the club.

I was very impressed and will probably join the club.
    80km at 29km avg. But it was a flat spin apart from one climb - the finishing drag on the Batterstown league circuit?

Regardless of the weather Ive never been on a flat spin that I didn't enjoy.

Aye, I was in the "slow" group, but still I managed to beat the world A3 hillclimb champion up windgates by almost half a minute, according to Strava . AND other than the odd commute, I've not even been out on the bike since the Sean Kelly. Just saying like :pac:

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    What is a puncturer? Is it someone who is placed within a group by a team leader to act like a sleeper agent and then, when the time is right, become active and start causing punctures of the rivals?

hmm... should I have said puncturee? Would the victim of a puncturer be a punctureree?
    Konkers wrote: »
    Was out with the orange group...

I was on the white spin, but I did hear there was carnage in the hills! The group aspect of it does make the distance pass more quickly, forgot that. Sunday was my first real group spin (apart from the club weekend) since winter 2010/11. Great to meet some new faces! (I'm sick of the regular lot! :D)
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Since this has surreptitiously turned out to be an Orwell thread, I would like to add that I was out with red group from park on Sunday.
    Only my second spin with Orwell, but I really enjoyed it. Small group of 7. Some excellent leadership and encouragement from the club members. Full of advice. Feedback and advice was given in a friendly and encouraging manner.
    Much appreciated. The members I question are a credit to the club.

Orwell - no thread is too general not to trample all over it with our shiny shoes, which of course have been freshly polished by the help. :pac:

The Park spins generally attract the more experienced and capable crowd, who know their stuff and are indeed a tremendous asset and font of knowledge. I'll pass along your comments. Did you get a bit muddy? :)

Aye, I was in the "slow" group, but still I managed to beat the world A3 hillclimb champion up windgates by almost half a minute, according to Strava . AND other than the odd commute, I've not even been out on the bike since the Sean Kelly. Just saying like :pac:

I don't even know where Windgates is! I wasn't trying! You gave me a fright when you shouted and I slowed down! The whities were holding me back! MOAR EXCUSES!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Ah well, if everyone is telling their Orwell stories I might also tell how the yellows fared.

Started out at a handy enough pace, was able to chat with people but wasn't also getting cold given the weather that was very good. There were a few times when one of the leaders would tell the guys in front to slow down. Mostly that was when the road started pointing upwards.

We went on like this for a while untill a small climb not too far from Roundwood (strava says Slaughter Hill). Everyone was going there at their own pace and we regrouped at the top. Before the hill our guides vanished somewhere and then reappeared at the top (spooky).

Then we had a nice coffee stop in Roundwood. Chance to warm up a little and to see peoples faces without the helmets and glasses.

Then we proceeded towards Enniskerry via Old Long hill. Was tough to keep the group together there. Another regroup at the stat of the descent. That sort of worked untill Lovers Leap. Stayed into the wheel of one of the leaders and we had to wait a bit afterwards, the group was very strung out. After that e regrouped once again and were let off towards Dublin at our own pace.

All in all a very enjoyable spin, despite the weather. Will see if I can get out also this Sunday and then will start the paperwork for joining the club.

• Advertisement

What's with the colour coding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

You can't say 'Slow Group' in Orwell because everyone is super fast, hence the Mauve, Taupe and Aubergine Colour Coding.

Advertisement