Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scott or Giant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

That Scott Foil is a fabulous bike for the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

I have been looking at various options and reviews and have narrowed it down to these three. In reality, it is between the two Giants as the Scott CR1 Premium is approx €5k. The CR1 Pro is within my budget but would not have the Di2 set fitted. Is Di2 worth getting on any bike or is it something for serious racers or endurance cyclists?

Scott CR1 Premium

A few questions on the Giants. Would the Defy frame be better for me as I am not into competition and just want to maintain a reasonable level of fitness? I would rate comfort over flat out performance. Which would be the lighter bike?

Giant TCR Composite 0

Giant Defy Composite 0

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pandybelly wrote: »
    Is Di2 worth getting on any bike or is it something for serious racers or endurance cyclists?

There is no compelling argument for Di2 even for "serious racers", let alone "endurance cyclists".

An 11sp drivetrain makes a better case for itself for non-racing use, as it means you can run a wide-ratio cassette without huge gaps compared to 10sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

You mentioned they sell Bianchi, I say go with the Bianchi.
    Where's the Bianchi button?

Fair play for supporting your lbs but don't get ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A few questions on the Giants. Would the Defy frame be better for me as I am not into competition and just want to maintain a reasonable level of fitness? I would rate comfort over flat out performance. Which would be the lighter bike?

Giant TCR Composite 0

Giant Defy Composite 0

The difference is that tha Defy is slightly more "relaxed" in terms of the way it's designed... A great "All-Rounder"

In weight terms there is no difference..

• Advertisement

You mentioned they sell Bianchi, I say go with the Bianchi.
    Where's the Bianchi button?

Fair play for supporting your lbs but don't get ripped off.

A Bianchi with Di2 is approx €6k............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I'd Go with the defy over tcr , some of the rabobank riders rode defy in preference over tcrs in the classics this year for the comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Sorry didn't realise Di2 was a deal breaker.

Sorry didn't realise Di2 was a deal breaker.

Hi,

Its not a deal breaker, just a bit of blingy icing I guess. I am also thinking of the Scott CR1 Pro with Ultegra. I was looking at the most trick bits I could within my budget, hence the lean towards Di2.

Do you think a carbon Bianchi would trump the Scott or any Giant?

Thanks.....

Do you think a carbon Bianchi would trump the Scott or any Giant?

Trump? In what way do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Hi,

I am thinking of treating myself to a carbon machine and my local dealer supplies Scott and Giant. He also supplies Bianchi which I currently have in aluminium but he says that they are very expensive in carbon.

The Scotts he recommends are the CR1 Team or the CR1 Pro. The Pro is more expensive (€3k) but has the Ultegra running gear fitted.

There are several Giant alternatives available such as the TCR Composite 1 and the Defy Composite 1.

I am not into competition riding or group runs, I am just trying to maintain a level of fitness and cycle about 100Kms a week, more if the weather allows. I want a comfortable bike as the roads I ride are from motorway standard as anyone in Kerry will testify to.

I want to buy from the local dealer as he has treated me well before and is a one man operation so its good to support him.

Any opinions? Any owners care to comment? Compact or triple?

Thanks,

Anthony.....

go to a bikeshop and try out a few , too many know it all's on here , its all subject to taste , whats good for you may not be good for others

For me there is only one real option. I would have to shop in somewhere like Westbrook cycles and buy a Scott or whatever there. The difference between what you are paying locally and what's available elsewhere seems huge, especially when many bike shops should be selling 2012 year models at a discount at this time of year.

I agree that it is great to support local business and personally would not travel up North for general shopping, but if I was spending €3k on a bike I might take a different view. At a minimum I'd ask your local retailer to try and justify the difference on price being charged.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Trump? In what way do you mean?

Im showing my age with that comment. :)

I mean would Bianchi be the best choice ahead of Scott or Giant?

Thanks....

letape wrote: »
    For me there is only one real option. I would have to shop in somewhere like Westbrook cycles and buy a Scott or whatever there. The difference between what you are paying locally and what's available elsewhere seems huge, especially when many bike shops should be selling 2012 year models at a discount at this time of year.

I agree that it is great to support local business and personally would not travel up North for general shopping, but if I was spending €3k on a bike I might take a different view. At a minimum I'd ask your local retailer to try and justify the difference on price being charged.

I have seen 2012 bikes on sale in the LBS with 20% off all models... Plus free accesories...
    The £ Sterling/ €Euro exchange rate is awful at the moment too.

So savings will be minimal, unless like Chainreaction they have a large stock of odd size (XS) bikes they want to off-load quickly...

Im showing my age with that comment. :)

I mean would Bianchi be the best choice ahead of Scott or Giant?

Thanks....

Sorry, still don't get you... Best choice is basically down to personal preferences, e.g. colours/style...

Bianchi are a "premium brand" and will entitle you to more bragging rights down at the "halfway point coffee shop" on a Sunday spin! :D

I have been in contact with LBS and the 2013 CR1 Pro and Premium will cost €3500 and €4999 respectively. There are no great changes to the look of the bikes based on the Scott website.
    He could arrange a 2012 CR1 Pro compact for €3000

Giant Defy Composite 0 for approx €3500.

Decision time I guess.

A lot of money for a bike which may only see about 4 - 5 hours a week usage?

I got the TCR Composite 1(2012) for almost half the price of the Defy you have mentioned here..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    A lot of money for a bike which may only see about 4 - 5 hours a week usage?

I got the TCR Composite 1(2012) for almost half the price of the Defy you have mentioned here..

Where did you buy it?

I have bit the bullet and ordered the Scott CR1 2012 model.

Many thanks to everyone for their help and contributions.

Thanks.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm hoping that after spending €3,000 on a bike you'll consider doing more than 100km a week and will join a club or do some races because I do more than that on a €600 hardtail with a 1.2kg tyre set...it just wouldn't make sense to spend that money and not use it, especially as a €1,000 racer would have sufficed.

Enjoy the new bike though, I'm always jealous when I see someone on a swanky new racer. I'll get one someday :D

• Advertisement

OP - enjoy the bike, I think the Scott is a good choice.

Btw, I wouldn't listen to anyone telling me how much I should or shouldn't spend on a bike. It's simply down to a personal matter how much you spend and how you choose to use it!! There is no place for logic or sense here!

Im afraid I have no interest in clubs or racing. I just like to do my own thing when it suits. I do intend upping my mileage as time and weather permits.

Thanks everyone for the help and comments. I will definitely enjoy the bike. I must post some photos when I get it.

Thanks.....

Hi,

I have been riding the Scott CR1 Pro for a few weeks now and am very impressed so far. I purchased the 2012 model as the 2013 is €500 more expensive and the only difference is that it is all black.
    It is very nimble and responsive and feels nice to ride. After changing the saddle for my trusty Charge Spoon, it is more comfortable. Did not like the stock saddle at all. It is well put together and has a quality feel and look. The components are top class and the gears and brakes are very good.
    I am very happy with my choice and I have attached a few photos of the bike.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed and helped me with the decision making process. It is very much appreciated. :)

Advertisement