Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

555 timer. Where?

• 09-11-2010 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,
    I am trying to find a 555 ic timer on old circuit boards. So far I have gone through stereo system and tv but have not been able to find one. What electronic devices would have a 555 timer in?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

A first year electronics project?
    You'd have to be going way back to find any consumer item that actually had one - maybe some clock radio from the 70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You'd be best off just buying some from radionics, maplin, online... They are still used to this day.

If you have trouble getting one send me a pm I'm sure I have some around somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 imjustthetruth

Thanks for the quick replies. I will get onto the net now. Didnt think would be so hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

More used in industrial control stuff really.
    Cheap as chips 0.25c each, for which you get a 1/3 , 2/3 comparator , latch , and other stuff.
    Very useful little gadget.
    Theres a CMOS version as well, 7555.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I am trying to find a 555 ic timer on old circuit boards.
    Most mass produced products have custom marking on its components, you won't find a chip with '555' printed on it. Build a test circuit on a breadboard and try any 8-pin chips you find.

(Or just buy from Farnell or similar for < €1)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Radionics
    Franell
    Maplins
    Peats

I don't like 555's because they don't provide equal mark to space ratios and the bipolar version can produce a lot of electrical noise on the power rail.

Schmitt triggers make nice oscillators with far fewer components.
    CLK10.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

actually I can't remember seeing 555's in any mass produced circuits -- even though over a billion of them were made

Quartz crystals meant you got stable times - and you didn't need a 555 for them - just a counter / divider many of which had an oscillator built in

http://www.donberg.ie - do mail order electronics from Donegal btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

See the ICM7555 datasheet :-
    http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn2867.pdf

"The circuit can be connected to trigger itself and free run as
    a multivibrator, see Figure 2A. The output swings from rail to
    rail, and is a true 50% duty cycle square wave. "

Advertisement