Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bearing set for my headset?! Ball bearings?

• 14-03-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have taken the fork out of my bike,
    The ball bearings and ball bearing sets (if thats what it is called) is a bit fu<ked,
    s it possible to buy these anywhere?
    Or do i need to buy a whole new head set?

thanks,
    toil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Depends on the headset and if it's worth your while. I'd buy a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

toil wrote:
    Hey,
    I have taken the fork out of my bike,
    The ball bearings and ball bearing sets (if thats what it is called) is a bit fu<ked,
    s it possible to buy these anywhere?
    Or do i need to buy a whole new head set?

thanks,
    toil

get a new one as the casing may be ****ed too. you will need a special tool to put it back in evenly. if your nice any decent bike shop will do it for e5 my mate got it done in halfords coolock, belive it or not they have a clue!!!!!

I'm sure they'd fit it for free if you bought it there, well they ought to. Only takes a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It sounds like you have loose ball bearings held in a cage. You might be able to get some more life out of the headset if you get new bearings and clean everything up. You can throw away the cage for a start - it's not necessary. Any bike shop can supply bearings of the correct size. Use a good lot of grease to hold them in place as you put everything together. You'll be able to fit in a few extra ones without the cage - use as many as will fit easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

belive it or not they have a clue!!!!!
    No they don't

• Advertisement

No they don't
    Yes, let's see, I'll just go ahead and adjust the rebound on these forks here...one sec...there we go, all done... er yeah

However, he didn't actually adjust anything on the fork. He just opened the fork instead and created the added bonus of oil leaking out.

What professionalism. :D

However, he didn't actually adjust anything on the fork. He just opened the fork instead and created the added bonus of oil leaking out.

What professionalism. :D

eh im sorry but how did he manage to open the fork by adjusting da preload???? and as far as i know halfords dont stock bikes which have oil as a damper i think they are all spring, the best forks ive seen in there shop is marzocchi mz comp and rock shox judy and they are spring. what store did this happen by the way coz when i was there the mechanic had his downhill gt on da stand and was strippin it down

eh im sorry but how did he manage to open the fork by adjusting da preload???? and as far as i know halfords dont stock bikes which have oil as a damper i think they are all spring, the best forks ive seen in there shop is marzocchi mz comp and rock shox judy and they are spring. what store did this happen by the way coz when i was there the mechanic had his downhill gt on da stand and was strippin it down

It did not happen in the store, but the guys who did it were Hafords Mechanics, it was after hours. It was a private sale, we so happened to meet up at the store after they were finished for the day. What I'm saying is, he didn't know what he was doing, opened up the forks instead of adjusting what he thought to be the rebound. :eek:

In my books that constitutes not having a clue. Nice enough fellas, but no real idea about what they were doing. There are other things I could mention about the bike too but I won't bother.

As you said,there is still oil in spring forks,this is what leaked. I think there were Marz Drop-offs, as far as I remember. This was your man's personal bike too, so it really doesn't inspire confidence.

There may be ok mechanics working in Halfords in general but there were two of these guys there and they still fecked it up. Not confidence inspiring at all. Actually kind of funny, Lorrel and Hardy style.

It did not happen in the store, but the guys who did it were Hafords Mechanics, it was after hours. It was a private sale, we so happened to meet up at the store after they were finished for the day. What I'm saying is, he didn't know what he was doing, opened up the forks instead of adjusting what he thought to be the rebound. :eek:

In my books that constitutes not having a clue. Nice enough fellas, but no real idea about what they were doing. There are other things I could mention about the bike too but I won't bother.

As you said,there is still oil in spring forks,this is what leaked. I think there were Marz Drop-offs, as far as I remember. This was your man's personal bike too, so it really doesn't inspire confidence.

There may be ok mechanics working in Halfords in general but there were two of these guys there and they still fecked it up. Not confidence inspiring at all. Actually kind of funny, Lorrel and Hardy style.

if he turned the bike and loosened da bolts at the bottom then ye hes a ****ing thick,but what to ya expect from what yo say of these they are cowboys!!!!!!!! if you worked in a bike shop would yo sell your bike outside it?? thats asking for a p45

Yeah, it was more out of handiness that outside the shop was the place to meet up. That way he'd have access to tools etc. Not knowing what you're at is probably more of a reason to get fired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Before you rain down entirely on Halfords, I know of many a cock up that has happened both to myself and others in the more credible dublin bike shops. As much as they should, bike mechanics don't know all. That is why you should learn to do it yourself.

Advertisement