Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lobe Stretching

Options
  • 16-06-2003 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have/know about lobe stretching? I'm thinking about getting it done at some point, but am just curious about how long it takes, how painful it is, and if there are complications afterwards?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lobe stretching starts with a "normal" enough ear piercing.You then change the jewellery to one with a larger diameter and eventually build up to the type with the hole in the middle.
    Into this there is a separate part shaped like a horn which is gradually pushed in over the course of a few weeks to make the hole bigger and bigger.
    Then if you really want to go the whole hog you insert a small ball bearing/miniature pool ball object thingy to get even bigger.
    Then when the hole is large enough a series of weights are used to stretch the lobe.
    The process depending on how stretched you want to go can take months.
    Personally Im not mad about it as if you do ever decide you dont like it theres no way other than surgery to reverse the process.If I were you Id have a good think about that one.
    Dont get me wrong here I like all sorts of piercings and if I wasnt working where I am now Id have so many that it would take about a week to get through an airports metal detector.But with most piercings you take them out and thats it but with lobe stretching its a lifetime thing.Just an opinion.
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard lots of bad about stretching, but I don't really intend on going huge with it, just big enough to put the little finger through. I'm thinking long and hard about it, and if I do end up getting it done, it won't be any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not really a lifetime thing, if you take it very slowly between stretches. A tattooist friend of mine had his ears stretched to about 1.5inches, and he got tired of them and took them down, they're pretty small now.

And if you do go HUGE you can always get them sewn up...but that's worst case scenario :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I've a few friends dabbled in it. It's not much of an issue at the lobe, as opposed to at the labrette or other places.

The main thing is not to rush it. Piercers will advise you on what to do, but most won't refuse if you ask them.

Best thing is to take it in small steps, and take care of them. If the skin splits, don't go back until it's healed.

Hellrazer's advice is the way. And the piercer will let you know too.

Personally, they're not my cup of tea, but if you want...... :)

Advertisement