Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bikes - any good?

• 29-10-2012 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just wondering if the Dublin Bikes thing is worth signing up for?

I've tried using the Boris Bike thingy in London but it was not a pleasant experience thanks to the obnoxious thieving company that run it (they also run a few prisons - says it all). Spent far longer on the phone to call centres getting hefty incorrect charges refunded than cycling, and then the key thing stopped working but they wouldn't accept there was a problem. I gave up in the end... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

I think they're great. Signed up when they first came out and never had any such admin problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Same 100% positive experience here. Never had a problem with them.

Great in the Summer for getting about town.

I paid the €10 a year fee in Sept 2010 and have spent in total €0.50 on bike rental since.

(ps - however buy your own helmet and bring with you at all times)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Very pleasant experience here. Not always reliable if you commute though. I used to leave enough time to walk and if I got a bike it was a bonus since I worked flexi time. Most days I'd get it no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

+1 . Ive been using them regularly since the start and have never had any problems.On the number of occasions I had to call them the issue was resolved quickly with no fuss. There are problems with bikes and spaces available at certain times, but its something you can work around. Beats walking around the city center imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Good to hear.
    Better get myself signed up then.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

It is quite handy overall, but the cynic in me feels the emptying the bays is done only sporadically, leaving the user without a space to park up, thus having them lock it up til their first morning break and so incurring fines. It probably isn't the case but somewhat credible; also there isn't enough bays/spots to accommodate the amount of users imo, plus they could do with a few extra a little further out in suburbs with a huge catchment area of commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Use them occasionally and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I used them for a year and it only cost me a tenner. Other than some stations being empty from time to time I never had a problem with them. Great for getting around town in a hurry.

226292.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

they are bloody brilliant, best thing to hit Dublin since italia 90!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rewind

Such a great set up IMO. Only major downside is trying to leave a bike back and there isn't any free space. Like wise when trying to get a bike and there are none. Over all I love it though. Had to deal with customer servie once and they seemed like a very decent bunch also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brilliant set up, very handy. You pay a small fee after your free half hour, it's a great incentive to get back from the Howth hill or Wicklow mountain run (with the shopping).

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

I signed up last night, it didn't specify, but do I get a card that I swipe to take a bike??

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

I signed up last night, it didn't specify, but do I get a card that I swipe to take a bike??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Another fan here. Although I really dopn't use it that often.

I live and work a good bit out of catchment area; but love when i'm heading into town for something and for whatever reason not cycling the whole way. Always get off Luas at Charlemont (doesn't really matter where i'm headed) n go for a lil spin on one towards my destination.
    There's a handy Android Dublin Bikes App, that can give you up to date info on bikes and empty bays available at each stop (don't know about iPhone). I check it on the way n only head to a stand i know has a bike. Also only try checking in bike where i've confirmed there's empty bays.

Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    There's a handy Android Dublin Bikes App, that can give you up to date info on bikes and empty bays available at each stop (don't know about iPhone).

Yep, there's one for fanbois as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

padjo5 wrote: »

Yeah, and a pin number, you keep the card in your wallet, pass it in front of the scanner and enter in your pin number, press V for validate, choose what bike you want, ie bike 11 tap one one, press validate and you will hear the bike unlock and a beeping noise, stroll over, slide the bike from the lock, adjust the saddle and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

I love them. Only problem is that there aren't enough of them!

I got a puncture on one and the feeling of dropping the bike back to a station, grabbing a different bike and the puncture being someone elses problem was great, in a highly appreciative way of course! This also shows what incredible value the service is given the work that goes on behind the scenes as the bikes are nearly always in perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, and a pin number, you keep the card in your wallet, pass it in front of the scanner and enter in your pin number, press V for validate, choose what bike you want, ie bike 11 tap one one, press validate and you will hear the bike unlock and a beeping noise, stroll over, slide the bike from the lock, adjust the saddle and away you go.
    If there are a few bikes, I find it handy to identify one that has a saddle at about the right height for me, check that there are no punctures and then select that bike from the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

226292.jpg

footpads? To keep your feet comfy I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

MadsL wrote: »
    226292.jpg

footpads? To keep your feet comfy I guess?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055434174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Overthrow wrote: »
    I love them. Only problem is that there aren't enough of them!

I got a puncture on one and the feeling of dropping the bike back to a station, grabbing a different bike and the puncture being someone elses problem was great, in a highly appreciative way of course! This also shows what incredible value the service is given the work that goes on behind the scenes as the bikes are nearly always in perfect condition.

Apparently DB Etiquette with punctures etc is to turn the saddle to point backwards on damaged bikes.
    Other people would then see this as an out of order bikle and take a different one, and the mechanic lads will spot it quicker and get it repaired.
    Sounds like a simple and effective system; not sure if it's one of these magical unwritten rules that only a select few know about. One of my mates just mentioned it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Considering the bikes are <20c/week they're reasonable. However they're very heavy, have poor brakes, have brakes on the wrong side, gears don't change down under load, Brake levers are poorly placed, grips tend to slip off handlebars in the wet.

The response of the machines is pretty slow also, and there's two different types, those selling 3day tickets are even slower to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

+1 on the whole DB experience. Joined before they officially launched, and love it. I tend to go against the general flow of bikes as well (or have learned quickly which stations fill faster than others) so mostly advantageous.
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Apparently DB Etiquette with punctures etc is to turn the saddle to point backwards on damaged bikes. Sounds like a simple and effective system; not sure if it's one of these magical unwritten rules that only a select few know about. One of my mates just mentioned it the other day.

Yep, I've heard about it too. Did it only the other day infact!
    Yep, there's one (app) for fanbois as well.

There's one for Windows Phone as well. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Considering the bikes are <20c/week they're reasonable. However they're very heavy, have poor brakes, have brakes on the wrong side, gears don't change down under load, Brake levers are poorly placed, grips tend to slip off handlebars in the wet.

Well... I don't think anyone is expecting a racing bike. I think we can all understand they're built to be robust and low maintenance. What do you mean though, which way round are the brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Sin_J

Are there any more of these unofficial rules apart from the saddle thing on broken bikes?

A quick google got me nothing and it would be handy to know.

Advertisement