Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2019?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

OK so I want to put down some aims for the year....

1. Booze - I need to reduce this... A lot!! I plan to stop the boozing at home at the weekend. If I want a drink I should make the effort to go out for a proper night out with friends. Most weekends I end up sitting in with wine/beers and eating a LOT of rubbish.

2. Diet - Portion size mainly..

3. PB to be achieved in all distances raced...

-5k Sub 19
    -10k sub 39
    -1/2 I'll put down sub 88-I really don't know what to expect. Have a PB of 1:29:11 from a while ago so should improve on this but not sure what to aim for yet.
    - Marathon - dip under 3:05... The marathon is the main goal. I'll do Limerick in May and hopefully be in a good position come DCM

I'm currently in a low mileage phase getting back after some knee trouble. Doing about 35-40 miles per week and in the pool a bit. Weight had ballooned to 87kg while injured(which lead to partying and bad diet), around 85kgs now.
    The booze/diet element will have a huge influence on achieving my goals, but I'm focused and willing to change.

I'll get my log back on track too, I've missed having a place to throw my ramblings....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Haven't put any aims on paper (so to speak) before but for 2019 I want to lose more weight. Currently, I've lost 11 lbs on the year. Do more parkruns. I did 11 this year, compared to 7 total pre-2018. I'd like to do maybe 30+. Staying injury free is the biggest challenge. Maybe running sub 28 might be possible with more weight loss and consistent running. (Reduced Parkrun PB from 30:05 to 29:22 this year)

That'll do for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I'll set some hard time targets below but in general I want to improve my consistency in terms of mileage and training, improve my diet and race more.

5k - 17.59
    5M - 31.59
    10k - 39.29
    10m - 66.40
    HM - 1.25.59
    Marathon - 3.04.59

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

A few carrying over from last year and maybe even longer.

1) Dublin Marathon sub 2.45. This is a stepping stone for my 2020 goal of doing the Berlin Marathon. 2.45 is guaranteed entry qualification time. Current pb is 2.47.

2) sub 60 minutes for 10 miles.

3) Sub 80 minutes for a half. (Charleville)

4) Run a cross country. (January)

5) Increase mileage. More medium long runs midweek. Moving house early new year so plan to run to and from work more often.

Thats it. Happy Running one and all. Look forward to reading all your progress of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I haven't done this for a couple of years as I knew the mileage and sleep/recovery wouldn't be good enough. For the first time in a few years I have ran over 1,000 miles this year, so I have a decent base going into 2019.

Targets
    5km < 18 mins
    5 miles < 30 mins
    10km < 38 mins
    10 mile < 63 mins
    1/2 < 85 mins
    Marathon < 3hrs

I feel if I can get my weekly mileage consistently above 50 per week I will have a good chance of doing these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

• Run sub 4:30 in each of 5k, 10k and half marathon.
    • Complete my first full marathon (April I hope!) in any time.
    • Complete at least a 10k race in three countries where I haven't run before.
    • Complete two trail races of at least 10k distance.
    • Burn off remaining waist flab and increase core strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Goals?
    Quite a few!

Top 3 in the Art ONeill Challenge
    To run 3:15 for 50k in donadea
    Top 10 UK 100k champs, Perth
    Sub 15 hrs for 100 miles whenever I get the chance
    155 miles for 24 hrs- Crawley, UK
    Top 5 in spartathlon- 153 miles
    Top 5 in Badwater- 135 miles (assuming I get in this time)
    Top 3 West Highland Way 95 miles (only if I don't get into Badwater)
    Top 20 in the world 24hr champs
    Sub 2:40 marathon
    Low 36.xx 10k
    Low 16.xx 5k

You have to dream!

Good luck mate. Dream Big!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

5k sub 20 (currently 21:44)
    5 mile sub 35 (currently 37 something)
    10k under 42 (Currently 45:46)
    10 miles under 76 (Currently 1:19 something)
    half under 1:42 (Currently 1:45:02)
    marathon sub 4 (Currently 4:08:32)

want loose about 7-8 kilos and generally live a bit better cutting out booze etc, would be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Goal is to sub 3:00. Current PB 3:17:31.

Doing Hamburg in April and Chicago in October.

Big ask but will be putting the work in.

Change of job from this time last year has freed up a lot of time for me due to shorter commute.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Pretty conservative goals by me, I'd like to beat my 18:43 5k PB, run another couple of half marathons with my second one sub 1:30. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at a sub 40 minute 10k also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Hmm have had to really sit down and think for this one. Definitely going aggressive this year so probably setting myself up for failure but rather work hard towards failure than coast to mediocrity with soft goals making excuses for myself

Mileage: 4000 miles

This would represent a huge increase (3100 my highest ever and hovering around 2000 for this year) I had stopped using this as a goal but given the year that I have had I think it would indicate a very good training year which I will need to give marathon a good rattle

Times:

You're gonna look back at some stage at wonder about all the wasted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Pretty conservative goals by me, I'd like to beat my 18:43 5k PB, run another couple of half marathons with my second one sub 1:30. I wouldn't mind taking a stab at a sub 40 minute 10k also.

10k should be easy with that half marathon time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

id like to

finally run a sub 4 marathon
    run a sub 50 10k
    run a sub 1:50 half
    run 4 marathons to bring my total up to 10 marathons
    run 1500 miles in a year (finally did 1000 miles this year)

have a year where i dont lose weeks to sickness or injury

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Main goal is to not get injurred and enjoy running.

Bonus points would be a sub 23 5k (23.23 in 2018).

Hoping to enter 4 half marathons. Not too concerned with times on these but a sub 1hr50 would be nice.

Towards the end of the year if all goes well I may start to consider full marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Main goal is to not get injurred and enjoy running.

Bonus points would be a sub 23 5k (23.23 in 2018).

Hoping to enter 4 half marathons. Not too concerned with times on these but a sub 1hr50 would be nice.

Towards the end of the year if all goes well I may start to consider full marathon.

Why would you enter 4 Half Ms and not be concerned about the time? I can understand having one or two that you might be using as training runs, but 4 in a year and not target even one as a real race. Seems strange to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Itziger wrote: »
    Why would you enter 4 Half Ms and not be concerned about the time? I can understand having one or two that you might be using as training runs, but 4 in a year and not target even one as a real race. Seems strange to me.

Just to keep fit. Having something to train for is more motivating than just running all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

maybe the 4 HMs are to get comfortable with that distance before hopefully moving on to consider a full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

After concentrating on Half's for the last couple of years I've signed up for the Dublin Marathon seeing as it is the 40th anniversary race.
    With that in mind I'm looking for recommendations for a running app, used runtastic and endomondo but never paid for some of the extras which include training programs. Are these any good and are the apps any better for having paid a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    maybe the 4 HMs are to get comfortable with that distance before hopefully moving on to consider a full

Yeah, fair enough but you'd surely have one of the four where you'd be looking to nail a time of sorts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah, fair enough but you'd surely have one of the four where you'd be looking to nail a time of sorts.....

Well not everyone does, although personally I would, starting with the HM equivalent of that 23-min 5k goal. But each to his/her own. Not everyone is motivated by time; for some, distance is sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

vargoo wrote: »
    10k should be easy with that half marathon time.

Sorry, the sub 1:30 was what I'm aiming for, not what I've actually done so far. Ran my first half marathon a couple of weeks back in just under 1:40, so I'd probably have a bit of work to do before I can go sub 40 for 10k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Had to give a bit of thought to this one...goals are kinda arbitrary but dreams are hopes that could be achieved if training and races go to absolute perfection.

5k. Goal 18:59 Dream 18:30 PB 19:12
    5 Mile. Goal 31:59 Dream 30:59 PB 32:14
    10k Goal 39:58 Dream 38:30 PB 40:07
    10 Mile. Goal 66:59 Dream 64:59 PB 68:02
    Half. Goal 1:29:59 Dream 1:27 PB 1:33:xx

I'd also love a top 3 M50 in a race...anywhere.. any distance....any day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Had to give a bit of thought to this one...goals are kinda arbitrary but dreams are hopes that could be achieved if training and races go to absolute perfection.

5k. Goal 18:59 Dream 18:30 PB 19:12
    5 Mile. Goal 31:59 Dream 30:59 PB 32:14
    10k Goal 39:58 Dream 38:30 PB 40:07
    10 Mile. Goal 66:59 Dream 64:59 PB 68:02
    Half. Goal 1:29:59 Dream 1:27 PB 1:33:xx

I'd also love a top 3 M50 in a race...anywhere.. any distance....any day...

No marathon next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    No marathon next year??

No....for a number of reasons not all of which make sense. While I love the training for the marathon I hate that it takes over everything. I also got a BQ in DCM and wouldn't be too interested in 2 marathons in a year. That being said Boston isn't likely to happen. Thirdly, far fetched as it may seem I still hold out hopes of sub 3. I couldn't do it this year coming but a long term goal for 2020 would focus the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Just one - get back to beating my 12 year old son in 5k races :)

Hahaha, exact same problem here, but no intention of chasing my 5k time this year - I'll let the young fella enjoy it while it lasts!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Sticking to the long stuff again, it's a lot easier knocking out easy paced 100 mile weeks than speed sessions and hill reps!

1) Connemarathon Ultra - sub 6 hours. My first attempt.
    2) Belfast 24hr - 100 miles +
    3) 100k, sub 10h. Probably Windschoten in Sept.
    4) Marathon - 3:15 (currently 3:25). Probably Valencia in Dec.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Some great goals here. Was planning on cutting back on running but I feel as though I have the grit between my teeth so I'll think on. 2018 was good for racing with 4 PBs in 6 races. Breaking the 2:55 was brilliant but underwhelming considering how strong I felt late on.
    I want to race a bit more often. Thinking of running Belfast marathon and trying to get into Dublin on a refund.

10k - break 37
    1/2 - 1.22
    Marathon - PB, will allow training to dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

The year to actually commit rather than talk.

New to running races, having pounded the pavement on/off for some time for years.

First race is booked.. Trim 10 mile, 3rd Feb. Aim to finish and get used to race environment. Good time would be a bonus.. Maybe 1.25

Run race series. And culminate with DCM with a current goal of 3.45. Let's see how the training goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Duanington

Run 3,500 miles
    Continue to race frequently
    Actually get to physios for regular sports massages ( as opposed to just saying how " I need to go and get a bit of an aul rub down"
    Make the senior xc team again ( what a buzz that was)
    Run sub 2.45 in DCM
    I'm not sure ( or too hung up really) about the other times but to run under 2,45, I think I'll need to:
    - break 28 minutes for 5 miles
    - Run (very) low 35 for 10k
    - break 59 minutes for 10 miles
    - Run a decent half, which I haven't done since 2016

Oh...and show up to a marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Duanington wrote: »
    Run 3,500 miles
    Continue to race frequently
    Actually get to physios for regular sports massages ( as opposed to just saying how " I need to go and get a bit of an aul rub down"
    Make the senior xc team again ( what a buzz that was)
    Run sub 2.45 in DCM
    I'm not sure ( or too hung up really) about the other times but to run under 2,45, I think I'll need to:
    - break 28 minutes for 5 miles
    - Run (very) low 35 for 10k
    - break 59 minutes for 10 miles
    - Run a decent half, which I haven't done since 2016

Oh...and show up to a marathon

Is there an interim marathon goal? :)

Advertisement