Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Cream

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

smurgen wrote: »
    I'll have to move onto a Shackleton book next.Hooked on the explorer tales after reading this book. How people can spend years trapped on icebegs and not want to give up in amazing to me. Also if the mods could fix the thread title I would appreciate it. Seems as if my typing skills are severely compromised after 10 Guinness.

You may have seen the tv/film "Shackleton". If not, I'd say it's a good account of the expedition.
    Come to think of it, although I've seen it I might get it on DVD if I can.
    The soundtrack is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Read his biography. Sailing from Elephant Island to South Georgia in a rickety lifeboat is considered one of the most incredible rescue missions in human history.

The three lads, Crean Included, sliding down the far side of the mountain ridge, crevasses bedamned, on South Georgia was enthralling.

Can't imagine what the guys at the whalers station thought when they saw them emerging from the frozen interior of the island.

Tom_Crean2-PD-600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

TC is a legendary figure for sure. His role in the adventures of Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton are phenomenal. Both men recognised that TC was physically exceptionally tough.

I went to Annascaul when Edmund Hillary gave a talk there and he reckoned that the physical feats that TC achieved were literally off the scale.

Ernest Shackleton was an interesting character. His great grandson was our local GP for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

smurgen wrote: »
    I never said he did.but you know that already.

Yes you did. You just don't know the difference between autobiography and biography.

Saying 'but you know that already' just shows you up even more - trying to be smart when you're not really smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

hinault wrote: »
    TC is a legendary figure for sure. His role in the adventures of Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton are phenomenal. Both men recognised that TC was physically exceptionally tough.

I went to Annascaul when Edmund Hillary gave a talk there and he reckoned that the physical feats that TC achieved were literally off the scale.

Ernest Shackleton was an interesting character. His great grandson was our local GP for a while!

Ernest Shackleton's brother Francis was caught up in the scandal that was the theft of the Irish Crown Jewels in 1907: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Crown_Jewels - An unsolved mystery but Shackleton was exonerated and his boss and main accuser (Sir Arthur Vicars) was murdered by the IRA in 1921, and took whatever he knew to the grave. A real cold case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

It's an incredible story, well worth a read. Decent black pudding in Anascaul too, much tastier than the beer. It's quite poor actually, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Great if his middle name was Sudo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Wouldn't it be great to have a name like Tom Cream?

- [friend] "So how did your night turn out with that Gemma sort from the club tom?"
    - [Tom] "well, lets just say...I creamed her"

I'll grab my coat.

Advertisement