Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation Culture: Dashcams?

• 09-07-2017 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

In a world where compensation claims are spiraling, and issues surrounding causation in disrepute, why don't cars in production come with in built dash-cams?

With the recent, astronomical, increases in motor insurance premiums surely this would act as a deterrent for fraudulent claims?

Are we moving there? Is it a viable option?

Comments

SwD wrote: »
    In a world where compensation claims are spiraling, and issues surrounding causation in disrepute, why don't cars in production come with in built dash-cams?

With the recent, astronomical, increases in motor insurance premiums surely this would act as a deterrent for fraudulent claims?

Are we moving there? Is it a viable option?

It should be and it would be useful. Many new cars already have rear facing cameras so to fit a dash or a bonnet camera and a recorder should be a simple option.

However I think the cams gained popularity in countries were the police were corrupt and acted as a defence against a shakedown.
    Personally, I would go for it, though I don't have one now as I don't want the extra wires etc over the dash.
    It should also make sorting out an insurance claim easier, whether in the right or the wrong, thus avoiding many court cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Didnt they become really popular in Russia cause people were throwing themselves in front of cars to make claims.

Also good for catching meteors!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a few new cars do? I'm certainly looking into getting one myself for my car. Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing more and more close calls and bad driving in the last while. Over the last year the number of times I've been at traffic lights and the car in front has started to slowly drift back because the muppet hasn't got his/her handbrake on... :mad: Now if they did back into me chances are high that they could claim I ran into them. Muppets pulling out of side roads without due care and attention another one, or people with no lane discipline. A dash cam would help with that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have one.
    Twice it has been useful, one when I was hit by an overtaking car, another time when a car failed to get around a roundabout and went off road.
    Mine records GPS coordinates and car speed
    In the future police might just plug in to your car and take a download for a review of your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Didnt they become really popular in Russia cause people were throwing themselves in front of cars to make claims.

Also good for catching meteors!

Plus the police there tend to make up offences and then ask for a bribe to get rid of them.

It would be handy. The only thing I'd be worried about is remote storage of the media. I'd make sure it's stored locally for security purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, you could just buy a dashcam instead of relying on car manufacturers to install one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I mean, you could just buy a dashcam instead of relying on car manufacturers to install one for you.

I could buy a radio too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,947 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Personally, I would go for it, though I don't have one now as I don't want the extra wires etc over the dash.

I got one fitted in Halfords. 130e incl installation. All wiring tucked away into the roof lining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Some cars, mostly higher end, do have built in dashcams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I could buy a radio too.

no need to go overboard on gadgets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Sonics2k wrote: »

Nah, it would be cheaper to pay thousands for a new car fitted with a dashcam rather than buying the dashcam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Winterlong wrote: »
    Some cars, mostly higher end, do have built in dashcams.

Which of them? Haven't heard or read about any ever coming fitted in them as standard.

I have a DDpai mini2. I only have it a few weeks as I experienced one too many near misses recently where idiot drivers are basically asleep unaware of other cars on the road and if there had been a collision it'd be 50/50 as I was alone and there were no independent witnesses. I think they're nearly essential these days and insurance companies should be allowing a discount for them but insurance companies being the corrupt business that they are, they'd probably increase people's premium if they informed them they'd fitted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Nah, it would be cheaper to pay thousands for a new car fitted with a dashcam rather than buying the dashcam :)

Obviously.

But in terms of cars in production , i'm sure it works out a lot cheaper for car manufacturers to install them in bulk!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's a nice idea but look at sat navs from 2005ish cars, almost unusable now they're so clunky and outdated

why build in a dash cam that will cost loads because it'll have to be certified to deal with the vibrations and harsh environment for 10+ years when you can buy and install a camera for 30 to 300 euro aftermarket and just replace it as necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I seem to recall that they are illegal in some countries including some EU states, for reasons of privacy. Personally the idea of an expectation of privacy in a public place is a bit ridiculous....

EDIT: Austria and Luxembourg, and discouraged in other countries including Germany https://driveeurope.co.uk/2014/09/24/zeelandbrug/

Though as long as the functionality could be switched off in certain countries the idea is still a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

diomed wrote: »
    I have one.
    Twice it has been useful, one when I was hit by an overtaking car, another time when a car failed to get around a roundabout and went off road.
    Mine records GPS coordinates and car speed
    In the future police might just plug in to your car and take a download for a review of your driving.

What make have you got?
    rather than built in (Im not buying a new car anytime soon anyway)
    Id prefer if there was some USB power supplies in convenient locations, near rearview mirror, near drivers righthand side, centre of dashboard near windscreen (to save having wires all over the place or hanging down over the centre to reach a 12v connection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

1874 wrote: »
    What make have you got?
    rather than built in (Im not buying a new car anytime soon anyway)
    Id prefer if there was some USB power supplies in convenient locations, near rearview mirror, near drivers righthand side, centre of dashboard near windscreen (to save having wires all over the place or hanging down over the centre to reach a 12v connection)
    post #460
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815237&page=31

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Think I've read most cars built in the last 10 years have a black box that records information about your driving. Probably could discredit most of these claims.

Someone's got a whiplash claim in against me at the minute..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Which of them? Haven't heard or read about any ever coming fitted in them as standard.

I have a DDpai mini2. I only have it a few weeks as I experienced one too many near misses recently where idiot drivers are basically asleep unaware of other cars on the road and if there had been a collision it'd be 50/50 as I was alone and there were no independent witnesses. I think they're nearly essential these days and insurance companies should be allowing a discount for them but insurance companies being the corrupt business that they are, they'd probably increase people's premium if they informed them they'd fitted one.

The c3 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

everlast75 wrote: »
    I got one fitted in Halfords. 130e incl installation. All wiring tucked away into the roof lining!
    Hmmm cheaper than I thought
    Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

diomed wrote: »
    That would be a concern alright. *in before the "you're a speeder, you murder kittens!" oulwans*
    I could buy a radio too.
    I did, outside of sub/urban driving couldn't hear the damn thing.
    no need to go overboard on gadgets!
    Aye. My Satnav below. :D

51x4yJlyiWL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(18%20Reviews)%2C445%2C286%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

In fairness I'm a bit of a luddite car wise.
    It's a nice idea but look at sat navs from 2005ish cars, almost unusable now they're so clunky and outdated
    Yep. It's IMHO a major and largely unspoken issue with modern cars. They've become PC's with wheels attached, but unlike all other IT kit, they're rarely updated to keep apace with later developments, especially in security(sure there can be recalls/updates, but that's to fix original screw ups by the manufacturers).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think they will become more and more common, like police body cams.
    The way to introduce them is by cheaper insurance if you have cams.

Advertisement