Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide: Boybands VS Girl Power

• 01-07-2020 4:35pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A lot of the music tournaments have wound up very alternative-centric. So it's time for a change.... POP EXPLOSION!!!

Boybands

tenor.gif?itemid=5195814

DependentSleepyBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_ppuoqxri5S1y6jxgjo1_500.gif

charlie-eyebrows.gif

VS

Girl Power

giphy.gif

tumblr_mlkm0yVGmJ1qhc973o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nominations Open.

A couple of rules:

You are allowed up to 10 nominations.
    Nominations must have been recorded and sung by a boyband or girl group
    You cannot nominate more than one song from the same group.

That's it!

Nominations are going to be open for at least 10 days, most likely 2 weeks to reflect other ongoing tournaments and contests, and the fact I'm on holidays :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

So nominating songs, not groups?
    All songs must be same-sex groups? No mixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Necro wrote: »

A lot of the music tournaments have wound up very alternative-centric. So it's time for a change.... POP EXPLOSION!!!

Boybands

Nominations Open.

A couple of rules:

You are allowed up to 10 nominations.
    Nominations must have been recorded and sung by a boyband or girl group
    You cannot nominate more than one song from the same group.

That's it!

Nominations are going to be open for at least 10 days, most likely 2 weeks to reflect other ongoing tournaments and contests, and the fact I'm on holidays :D

does the corrs count as a girl group?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So nominating songs, not groups?
    All songs must be same-sex groups? No mixed?

Songs, not groups yes :D

Mixed groups are permitted!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sKeith wrote: »

Jim won't be too happy about that :pac::pac:

But yes if you want to nominate a song fire ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Is a mixed group a boyband, girlpower or either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

S Club 7 count as boy girl band, is that a thing :p

Songs from mixed-sex groups are permitted. So the likes of Steps and S Club don't feel left out ;)

Songs from mixed-sex groups are permitted. So the likes of Steps and S Club don't feel left out ;)

Good as that would have been a tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

oh, count me so in!!!! I will go have something for you in the next couple of days

Queen: We are the champions.
    the corrs: I Never Loved You Anyway
    the 5 6 7 8 's: Woo Hoo
    t.A.T.u. - All The Things She Said
    The Cardigans - My Favourite Game
    Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
    Peaches - The Presidents of the United States of America
    Blur - Country House
    The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
    Oasis - Lyla

• Advertisement

If i was to call it now, i'd give it to t.a.T.u. :P

Poor lasses being opresed and abused by vlad :(

Actually, in a break from the norm, you can either post your nominations on thread like sKeith did above... OR if you wish to keep them a guarded secret until the contest PM them directly to myself.

Actually, in a break from the norm, you can either post your nominations on thread like sKeith did above... OR if you wish to keep them a guarded secret until the contest PM them directly to myself.
    yikes, i've not been following these types of tournaments, so if i broke norms, i'm very sorry.... yikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Are we nominating on thread or by PM?

sKeith wrote:
    yikes, i've not been following these types of tournaments, so if i broke norms, i'm very sorry.... yikes....

Nah it doesn't matter I wasn't specific in my OP about PMs :D

Kolido wrote: »
    Are we nominating on thread or by PM?

Either or, whichever you prefer :)

None of sKeiths nominations, bar maybe the corrs and tatu, fit the discription of a boyband or girl group imo.

None of sKeiths nominations, bar maybe the corrs and tatu, fit the discription of a boyband or girl group imo.

You have been so institutionalized!

Break free of your programming and think for yourself for once!

queen is a boy band, 5678's is a girl power band... I shant go on.. Kolido, check out the two named here at least.... then we can investigate the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

There is the theory that The Beatles were the first ever boyband :D

I have to say when I hear boyband/girlband I always think of pop bands, and this is where most (if not all) of my nominations will come from.

• Advertisement

queen is a boy band, 5678's is a girl power band... I shant go on.. Kolido, check out the two named here at least.... then we can investigate the rest.

I must have misread Necro's OP, his examples threw me off. I thought we were talking Take That and Spice Girls, not just any music group with all males/females. My apologies in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I must have misread Necro's OP, his examples threw me off. I thought we were talking Take That and Spice Girls, not just any music group with all males/females. My apologies in that case.

This is the intention and the spirit of the tournament, as the other comps tend to overlook the "cheesy" (for lack of a better word) pop groups. I think the majority of us will go for the likes of Take That, Spice Girls, Boyzone, etc.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the first line of the OP says:
    A lot of the music tournaments have wound up very alternative-centric. So it's time for a change.... POP EXPLOSION!!

so I'd agree with your interpretation of the rules Kolido, especially since the rules allow for mixed gender acts. With that being the case, if it wasn't specifically aimed at the likes of Take That and the Spice Girls we could just nominate any band we liked. Sure I'm always looking for an excuse to squeeze a Talking Heads song or two in somewhere. ;)

Irish Aris wrote: »
    There is the theory that The Beatles were the first ever boyband :D

I have to say when I hear boyband/girlband I always think of pop bands, and this is where most (if not all) of my nominations will come from.

If this was a 'take that' vs 'spice girls' competitions, i'd say, 'spice girls' would win it. luckily , i think we can nominate from outside those two bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Noms in...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Smashing Pumpkins and Oasis boybands? Come on now. OP clearly said pop music

Ok, I see the discussion above and have been thinking about it overnight.

The OP was written with the intention of male/female pop groups such as the ones in the OP, but I think it probably opens up a whole discussion on what 'pop music' actually is.

I won't disqualify any track as long as it fits the criteria in the OP, I will let the court of public opinion decide in the voting.

For me, the main criteria for boyband/girlband would be not only that they are primarily pop music (as many have stated above) but also that they are primarily vocal groups, as in not playing instruments. So by that second criterion I wouldn't necessarily consider the likes of early Beatles, Monkees, Bee Gees or The Corrs as "boybands/girlbands", even though their music is quite poppy.

Of course even that's not foolproof when you consider the likes of Busted or McFly - they'd probably be happy to call themselves boybands. Such innovative acts who broke those limitations! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Or we could have a tourno on the rules of the tourno.

I'll get my coat :)

Advertisement