Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Great Movie Star of the 80s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

begbysback wrote: »
    Not saying he was a one hit wonder, just that it was arguably his worse decade, though his standard is very high, are there others with more substance in the 80s? Most likely

I think his 80s output was good.
    For me things started going downhill after 2000, when he started playing in a lot of movies that, in my opinion, weren't good enough (I will admit though that I don't like the comedy style of films like Meet The Parents, which very successful at the time). I recall some stories that he was accepting a lot of roles for the money needed to support Tribeca, his production company and the film festival organised by it, not sure though how true that is.

Kolido wrote: »
    Depending on your taste in movies, Arnie had a phenomenal decade;

Conan, Terminator, Commando*, The Running man, Predator.

*maybe not be highly regarded but a personal favourite of mine :)

Clint also had a decent output, though I'd say the 70s was probably his best.

ah, I forgot about Arnie, hopefully someone will nominate him.
    In order to select the 10 actors (5 male and 5 female) I went through my list of 80s favourite films and pretty much selected actors that starred in 3 films that I liked. I was actually surprised by a couple of the selections - I realised how many films I have forgotten or haven't seen in a long time. Having said that I don't expect any of them to win as they wouldn't be iconic 80s, although I think a couple of them could make it up to quarter finals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,002 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Movie Trivia: Dirty Dancing is set in the Summer of which year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Movie Trivia: Dirty Dancing is set in the Summer of which year?

Answer: 1963

Good guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AaronMic95

while reading about these 80s movies, it made me remember some B movies from the 80s where future stars acted in like student exchange with heather graham, secret admirer with lori loughlin and two moon junction with sherilyn fenn. this might be a topic for another thread. lol

• Advertisement

Trailer: Big Trouble in Little China

Initially a commercial failure, this John Carpenter fantasy/comedy ]

I think it was getting remade with The Rock, some things are sacred don't need rebooting or remaking

Fun Fact: Back To The Future: Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty and filmed five weeks worth of footage before he was let go and replaced with Michael J Fox, who the producers were able to get after working out a deal with the Family Ties producers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There's footage online of Stoltz online if you search for it.

MJF worked on Family Ties in the day and BTTF at night for the duration and got very little sleep in between.

MJF had way more charisma and appeal than Eric

Trail: The Lost Boys

A classic and voted the best horror among the Boardsies universe

• Advertisement

Movie Trivia: Who was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress in the 1988 movie Working Girl?

Movie Trivia: Who was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress in the 1988 movie Working Girl?

Melanie Griffith.
    Singourney Weaver was also nominated for supporting actress. If I recall correctly Weaver was nominated for 2 Oscars that year (also for Gorillas In The Mist) and she lost both - a bit of a bummer for her, I consider her such a great actress!!

Melanie Griffith

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Melanie Griffith.
    Singourney Weaver was also nominated for supporting actress. If I recall correctly Weaver was nominated for 2 Oscars that year (also for Gorillas In The Mist) and she lost both - a bit of a bummer for her, I consider her such a great actress!!
    Sigourney literally and figuratively killed it in the Aliens Franchise. :D

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Melanie Griffith.

I thought Weaver won the Oscar

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought Weaver won the Oscar

Unfortunately not.
    She lost to Jodie Foster in the leading role category and to Geena Davis in the supporting role category.
    Granted, the best actress category was incredibly strong that year, I thought though that her performance in Gorillas In The Mist was perfect.

Answer: Melanie Griffith

You guys knew that one, well played :)

Trailer: Parenthood

Fun comedy drama from the late 80s directed by Ron Howard.

I absolutely adore that movie!!

quickbeam wrote: »
    I absolutely adore that movie!!

I liked the tv show too

Young Leaf Phoenix now Joaquin, phenomenal actor

• Advertisement

Movie Trivia: In the 1984 movie, Footloose, Kevin Bacons character moves from Chicago to the fictional town of Bomont in which US state?

Indiana I think?

Ren moves to a town in Oklahoma also the remake is sh*te except for Miles Teller as Willard

Movie Trivia: In the 1984 movie, Footloose, Kevin Bacons character moves from Chicago to the fictional town of Bomont in which US state?

Answer: Oklahoma

On a side note, it is possibly the best soundtrack of the 80s

We are up to 85 actors now. I don't plan to run this for another 3 weeks, so loads of time still to nominate.

Answer: Oklahoma

On a side note, it is possibly the best soundtrack of the 80s

Kenny Loggins was king, Top Gun is good too

yeah, kenny loggins is a musical genius and an awesome singer/guitarist/performer.

I forgot to vote my future husband Daniel LaRusso actor Ralph Macchio

th?id=OIP.I8PyV0WVqlIJr04gJBNy8QHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=276&h=156

Crossroads was another movie by Ralph Macchio that I really liked. I thought it was really him playing guitar in the movie but I found out later on that while he had guitar lessons, the music was mostly recorded by Arlen Roth.

• Advertisement

There are 90 acts in now. Hoping to run this next week.

Advertisement