Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainbowtrout's Eurovision Song Contest

• 13-06-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

Following on from the various music competitions around here I would like to run a Song for Europe competition. :D

You can nominate 15 songs. They don't have to be Eurovision songs, they can be from any act from any European country.

There will be a playoff for each country that has more than one song nominated as each country will only be allowed to have one song in the final. If a country only has one song nominated that automatically goes into the final.

Once the final song for each country is decided each poster will have a chance to award their douze points etc to the selection of songs from around Europe.I will probably do the final like a sheep reveal.

You are free to nominate more than one song from a country, but if you do, remember that they will be up against each other in the preliminary heats, so I guess if you want your nominations to have more impact it would probably be better to choose songs from 15 different countries.

It would also help if you put the country of origin of the artist/band if it's isn't completely obvious.

I'll leave this open for at least a week and a half for nominations before starting the national song contests.

marty-whelan-douze-points.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Will England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland be considered as individual Countries here or are will they all fall under the United Kingdom?

This is a great idea rainbowtrout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What does "Sign Ups Open" mean? I've not entered one of these before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Will England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland be considered as individual Countries here or are will they all fall under the United Kingdom?

Just the UK for this one. It's complicated enough as it is!

Seamai wrote: »
    What does "Sign Ups Open" mean? I've not entered one of these before.

It just means that if you would like to send me your nominations that you can do so. In about 10 days time I'll get one of the mods to close the thread "Sign Ups Closed" to show that I'm not taking any more nominations so we can get the competition started.

• Advertisement

It just means that if you would like to send me your nominations that you can do so. In about 10 days time I'll get one of the mods to close the thread "Sign Ups Closed" to show that I'm not taking any more nominations so we can get the competition started.

By PM?

Seamai wrote: »
    By PM?

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I'm in.
    Great idea for a competition rainbowtrout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great idea.

I'll do my best to find 15 but can't promise anything as I think all the bands I like are English speaking so likely Irish or UK if within Europe!

lassykk wrote: »
    Great idea.

I'll do my best to find 15 but can't promise anything as I think all the bands I like are English speaking so likely Irish or UK if within Europe!

A quick Google and Germany and Finland are covered. This is going to be very interesting to research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

A quick Google and Germany and Finland are covered. This is going to be very interesting to research
    And Norway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I can cover Greece obviously and might have nominations for another couple of countries in Eastern Europe.
    And possibly an actual Eurovision song in my list!!

I will have a list ready in the next couple of hours!!

Think I will be maxing out at 7

There's two for Germany I could pick which is annoying and equally surprising!

I like one song by a French group but I don't know its name so will have to find that out

Surprisingly found an Icelandic, Finnish and Swiss entry to go with the obvious UK and Ireland ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Really cool idea, I'm in

I'm in, list coming shortly.

It's amazing what you will find once you start google searches such as 'Estonian music artists'

Myself and my brother did a Scandinavian roadtrip 5 years - actually it was this time 5 years ago - so we put together a Scandinavian playlist for the car. And there was a lot of 'I never knew they were Swedish...' type comments when we were compiling it.

Ok, so list sent.
    I was able to cover 14 countries - apologies everyone, there will be lots of pop/synthpop music :o

Nominations in, 15 songs from 15 different Countries - had an option of 22 European Countries from my playlists which was more than I had expected

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

What would be the spirit of it if, for example, someone French met someone Spanish in London and formed a band... :p

What would be the spirit of it if, for example, someone French met someone Spanish in London and formed a band... :p

You can decide which country they represent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

15 songs in. Only got 13 countries represented though so had to double up on the last 2....

Necro wrote: »
    15 songs in. Only got 13 countries represented though so had to double up on the last 2....

If you think of any other countries in the meantime you can change the ones you doubled up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I am in. Good fun that, and it shows how insular our music tastes can be; just stuff from Britain and US mostly.

Thanks for the entries so far. Quite a diverse and eclectic mix. There are 60 songs entered so far with no duplicates.

They represent 22 different countries.

15 songs, 15 countries, mainly my ESC favourites (but only 2 winners) over many years and a couple of others.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What sort of songs were people going for with their entries? I kind of went for songs that had a 'Eurovisiony' feel about them rather than shall we say the best the country may have had to offer...

I'm gonna end up with no nominations in the final aren't I :pac:

What sort of songs were people going for with their entries? I kind of went for songs that had a 'Eurovisiony' feel about them rather than shall we say the best the country may have had to offer...

Nah, I was aiming for Eurovisiony vibes too. Just because that also happens to be the best each country has to offer is a happy coincidence... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm going very non-Eurovisiony!
    Not by design, I've just never watched Eurovision sober so don't know any Eurovision songs :p

I am on the same boat. Lots of synthpop that would be in the Eurovision spirit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I'm doing the same, i hope its not full of bands like The Beatles or U2, nothing against them, but my votes will be going towards Eurovisiony types

Advertisement