Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

IBT done n dusted. Need hours on the saddle now. If you see a lad on a ruby red Deauville around North Kildare don’t be offended if he doesn’t wave, he’ll just nod his head. Give him a while, he’ll wave soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

IBT done n dusted. Need hours on the saddle now. If you see a lad on a ruby red Deauville around North Kildare don’t be offended if he doesn’t wave, he’ll just nod his head. Give him a while, he’ll wave soon enough.

i still havn't figure out which is is!
    I usually nod, but keep seeing people raising their right foot, nodding or waving i usually nod so i've my brakes and clutch covered

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Who'd you do it with?

sm3ar wrote: »
    Who'd you do it with?

A lad in Tallaght. He’s booked solid until August. I got lucky when the lockdown was lifted, got in early

Who'd you do it with?

I’ll get his name for you now. Couldn’t say enough about the bloke, really nice, totally straight up. Kicked my arse when needed and patted my head when needed that too

• Advertisement

ADS School of Motoring. If you want his number, pm me and I’ll send it on.

Where'd you get the deauville?

Where'd you get the deauville?

A friend of mine. He’d bought a newer one and sold this one onto me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats on the IBT. Let us know if you're up for a spin. In kildare myself.

zubair wrote: »
    Grats on the IBT. Let us know if you're up for a spin. In kildare myself.

Cheers. Give me a few days to get used to the bike and I’ll get back to you.

• Advertisement

No wings on a bike smile.png

Rear view mirrors are a legal requirement on a new bike when it is sold, but are not a requirement in use.

When I did my test I had to ride as if I had no mirrors, indicators or brake light rolleyes.png and it's not THAT long ago!

You'd want to be an eejit to have no mirrors though, but a lot of them especially aftermarket ones aren't much use.

Ah okay, that sounds fair enough. I'd have assumed mirrors would be a requirement in use. Doesn't really make sense to me that they're not (but then I've not actually rode a bike yet, so.. perhaps it'll become obvious when I do).

about €240 euro from Cavan to Wicklow
    Was kind of stuck as I did not know anyone who had a bike / insurance to drive it and I would not even consider driving with no licence insurance or IBT
    They would lock me up forever :-)
    goblin59 wrote: »
    A transit van off Gocar is €13/H or €72 a day. they charge an extra 15c every Kilometre after 50km though

Hmm.. I'm self employed, and I've a Ford Galaxy, I wonder do I smell a possible side business.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

Enterprise rent high roof Nissan van for €100 + vat for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Hmm.. I'm self employed, and I've a Ford Galaxy, I wonder do I smell a possible side business.. :D

you would need specific insurance for it though in case something happened to the bike while in transit to do it as an proper side business. probably why prices for a courier are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Cheers. Give me a few days to get used to the bike and I’ll get back to you.

Congratulations on the IBT, well may she wear and have fun :D

Just off the phones with few insurance companies and all asked about IBT and one didn’t cause it wouldn’t quote me lol weird too. Yamaha Dragstar 650cc XVS.
    CN Cover you and your bike in an accident to transport you home with your bike.

CN quoted me €456 which I’m very pleased with
    Principal Quoted me €477 with an option to pay half & half which is different and an option too. Pay half now and then half 30 days later.

Liberty wouldn’t insure me at all.

Just off the phones with few insurance companies and all asked about IBT and one didn’t cause it wouldn’t quote me lol weird too. Yamaha Dragstar 650cc XVS.

CN quoted me €456 which I’m very pleased with
    Principal Quoted me €477 with an option to pay half & half which is different and an option too. Pay half now and then half 30 days later.

Liberty wouldn’t insure me at all.

Is that third party only?

Is that third party only?

Yea 3rd party fire and theft

Yea 3rd party fire and theft

That's very good. Is it your first bike?

That's very good. Is it your first bike?

Yea it will be.

Yea it will be.

Can I ask what age and gender you are out of curiosity? And the cc of the bike?

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get leather gear? I'm on the large side of things, and although there seems to he good value second hand, I'd rather go to a shop where I can try stuff on or buy online with a place that has a decent returns policy if it doesn't fit right.

If you do IBT do they provide you with gear to wear (as a general rule of thumb)?

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get leather gear? I'm on the large side of things, and although there seems to he good value second hand, I'd rather go to a shop where I can try stuff on or buy online with a place that has a decent returns policy if it doesn't fit right.

If you do IBT do they provide you with gear to wear (as a general rule of thumb)?

No they don’t provide the gear anymore due to covid but I believe most are selling it off at huge discounts as they game have no use for them anymore. I’ve posted the cc of the bike 650cc. Go instore for your helmet and boots mostly I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Well now that I have the bike I am thinking I should pick up a puncture repair kit
    What do you folks recommend
    Tyre weld type of aerosol can
    Or the plug with the glue ?

Or is there another method

Cheers
    J

No they don’t provide the gear anymore due to covid but I believe most are selling it off at huge discounts as they game have no use for them anymore. I’ve posted the cc of the bike 650cc. Go instore for your helmet and boots mostly I would suggest.

Any recommendations for shops to visit?

I'm in Drogheda, so I've Kennedy's Motorcycles on my doorstep, but I'm lead to believe they're fairly expensive, although I'm unsure how true that is.

Well now that I have the bike I am thinking I should pick up a puncture repair kit
    What do you folks recommend
    Tyre weld type of aerosol can
    Or the plug with the glue ?

Or is there another method

Cheers
    J

Isn't it mad that I'm sitting here looking at bike stuff the last week or so. Have been a cyclist for many years and still hop on the bicycle once in a blue moon. I drive a car every day, long distances, and I always make sure to have a spare, and a compressor with me.

Yet I never even considered that you could get a puncture on a motorbike.. or what you'd need to do to sort it. :o

Isn't it mad that I'm sitting here looking at bike stuff the last week or so. Have been a cyclist for many years and still hop on the bicycle once in a blue moon. I drive a car every day, long distances, and I always make sure to have a spare, and a compressor with me.

Yet I never even considered that you could get a puncture on a motorbike.. or what you'd need to do to sort it. :o

when I had the last bike 30 years ago I used to have a can of the sealer / inflater but from what I remember it would only repair the smallest of punctures so i'm thinking along the lines of this kit here to throw under the saddle.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Oxford-CO2yre-Repair-1-Motorcycle-Tyre-Kit-Motorbike-Punture-Kit-New/163871665281?hash=item2627832c81:g:OlgAAOSwDXtdhKdl

Anyone got any views on it / any good ?
    Thanks

Any recommendations for shops to visit?

I'm in Drogheda, so I've Kennedy's Motorcycles on my doorstep, but I'm lead to believe they're fairly expensive, although I'm unsure how true that is.

I’ve done a mix of things but Helmet is a must to fit on and get help from instore. Bought gloves online and boots instore. Got gloves on eBay which I’m happy with and my friends have said they are good quality. Got nice neck scarf on eBay for a fiver (handy for the wind)
    Luckily got the jacket and pants from my friends fire a few Bob. Make sure to have all the armor. Ask any questions here we’ll all try help.

I would agree that for some things you really would be best trying on like a helmet and boots

I got a helmet in a size L which I thought was a good fit
    but then I got a free helmet with the bike which was new in the bag and it was a xl 62 and it feels more comfy but could be the fact that it is an open face lid and does not feel as claustrophobic :-)

So make sure to take your time and try on a couple

I bought a pair of Alpinestars boots and I normally take a size 7 in shoes
    I took some time and wanted a pair of boots that I could wear Thicker socks in the winter and eventually settled on a size 43 which is about 9 in uk size

Had I bought these online I would have never thought a 9 would suit

I'd 100% say go into a shop. I'm a bit ahead of you after doing ibt and sizes vary, so if your a medium let's say , I find the gear you need to go up a size. Same with the boots you really need to try them on. If you go in to kit yourself they'll do you a deal and knock off a bit. Helmets as well vary between the different brands. Eg a large might fit for one brand and maybe you'd be XL for another. Also the quality of the helmet varies so a medium for 400 or 500, will be a lot more comfortable than one for 1 or 2 hundred

I'd 100% say go into a shop. I'm a bit ahead of you after doing ibt and sizes vary, so if your a medium let's say , I find the gear you need to go up a size. Same with the boots you really need to try them on. If you go in to kit yourself they'll do you a deal and knock off a bit. Helmets as well vary between the different brands. Eg a large might fit for one brand and maybe you'd be XL for another. Also the quality of the helmet varies so a medium for 400 or 500, will be a lot more comfortable than one for 1 or 2 hundred

I got a great helmet for €135 LS2 Storm Matte Black, Just make sure it has CE mark and PINLOCK (Anti-Fog extra) otherwise they are about €30 separate. Definitely try them on and boots I agree too, I’m usually a 10 & I got a size 11 in Spada Brand for €95 again just make sure you have foot, ankle and shin protection.

• Advertisement

I got a great helmet for €135 LS2 Storm Matte Black, Just make sure it has CE mark and PINLOCK (Anti-Fog extra) otherwise they are about €30 separate. Definitely try them on and boots I agree too, I’m usually a 10 & I got a size 11 in Spada Brand for €95 again just make sure you have foot, ankle and shin protection.

A lot of the jackets will have a slot for a back protector. Be about another 50 notes. Alpinestars do a good range. Check out their Andes v2 gear. I got those and definitely you will need to go up a size with those. Agree as well to get the pinlock. They will throw it in with the helmet if you ask

Advertisement