Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Haven't crashed this year (and hope not to) havnt had a cold hang around as much either. I was 72kg starting last year, and now about 78 so think I'd become too light .

Anyway, as of today I am 11 km behind pace (7500 for the year), passed 2500 today, having been 300 km a few weeks ago. Trip to Girona and good bike lifted enthusiasm in a big way.

May is always my month for doing most km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭secman

Went over the 3k km this weekend ,so averaging 750 km a month, have set a target of 7,500 km (2018 result) hoping to beat that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No goal set but I’m way behind where I want to be fitness wise due to working on my thesis and spending time with the baby since January. The thesis is complete and hopefully I’ll be back working on fitness from this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

January 1st -> May 6th
    2019 2300KM
    2018 1200KM

First two months were slightly ahead of 18 but since the clubs transition to summer scheduling the gap has increased. Getting stronger but not managing to be strict enough on myself to shed the final 2KG down to target weight. The temptation to gorge burgers after a 150K ride is just too great. Current track predicts about 6600KM at year end but it'd be nice to make that 7000. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well I was really happy with progress to date. Goal was to do the Orwell, Mick Byrne, be competitive in the club league and in good shape for a week in the mountains in Spain in September.
    Knocked a minute off my 16km TT last week , kept the mileage nicely ticking over and generally just felt good. Started the Orwell Randonee on Saturday, was going to use it as a test to see how far I had really come.

*** Strava Monkey Alert***. On the 54 segments I covered in the first 85 km, I set PBs on 32 of them, the vast majority of those were climbing segments too. So yeah, very happy up til then.
    Then I crashed and have enough damage to keep me in a sling for 4 weeks and off the bike for however long it takes afterwards. Bit of a bummer tbh but I'll be on the turbo as soon as I can to try and keep some of the cardio there and hopefully I'll be some ways right for my trip to Spain.
    Last year I lost a month with a leg injury and 3 weeks away on holidays plus the winter was sh1te so realistically I shouldn't be much worse off if all goes OK over the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was aiming for 7k for the year, crossed the halfway point last night, so a little ahead of target.
    another way i was going to track progress was to average more than 20km per day; i'm currently at 21.7, so again a little ahead of target.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I got a notion after Easter to do more than just commuting cycling , first was around 50K , last week 98K . If its dry Sat going to do Glendalough Blessington which is around 115K , final goals are 150K in Wicklow down to Aughavannagh and around, and a couple of ~200k flat ones. Stripping out holliers there are only 9 weekends to end of Aug.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Just about on track for the aimed 12k for the end of the year. Currently at 5,350

Holidays will make it difficult to keep that going to end of August but the will is there (at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Goals for 2019

90kg racing weight for June/July time. Currently 94 kgs, WIP!
    Top 20 in an A3 Race - 10th place, 1 Cycle Ireland point
    10,000 km road work 4.999 to date, ahead of sechdule
    More road less turbo where possible
    Try win a club league race during the Summer 2 x 3rd places to dat

All in all happy so far but adjustment of goals for remainder of the year below.

Top 3 in an A3 Race
    Win a club League race
    88 kgs end of year weight to carry forward to next season
    FTP of 400 watts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

- Sub 80kg from March 1st and not to go back above it for the rest of the year. - DONE
    - Win an A4 race - 10th is best do far, aiming to do it in the last race of the season when i go from the gun
    - Upgrade to Semi Scratch by end of season - Have won 1 race and placed second in another, so so should get upgraded soon

• Advertisement

weight is an interesting one, my ideal weight is around 73kg but I have the devil of a job to get it under 80kg. Not having to carry an extra 7 or 8 kg would be nice

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    weight is an interesting one, my ideal weight is around 73kg but I have the devil of a job to get it under 80kg. Not having to carry an extra 7 or 8 kg would be nice

Its certainly helpful, I dropped 10kg last year mid way through the season when I just dug in and ate very specifically and my speed up hills, as well as endurance on climbs sky rocketed. Really hard to keep it up though and even taking a break for a day or two, I can pile on the weight again really quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Man, if could shift 8kgs and hold same power i'd be over the moon. To get the balance right between bike life and real life weight is tricky the older you get.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its certainly helpful, I dropped 10kg last year mid way through the season when I just dug in and ate very specifically and my speed up hills, as well as endurance on climbs sky rocketed. Really hard to keep it up though and even taking a break for a day or two, I can pile on the weight again really quickly.

Its cool that you noticed. I could probably temporarily get it down if I threw everything at it, it might just be the motivation

Its cool that you noticed. I could probably temporarily get it down if I threw everything at it, it might just be the motivation

I seem lucky that I can drop it if I focus enough, and if I hold it long enough then I seem to get more and more comfy with it, to the point where eating right isn't such a big issue, but akin to an addict, all it takes is one slip and I am back to square one in a matter of days. I imagine it takes me almost three weeks to adjust to "healthy eating" to the point I feel comfy that it takes no effort and I can turn things down or ignore bad choices with ease but if I do slip, it is an instant return to poor eating habits.

Cycling is great if racing for me as I have a target to hit, and that gives me the extra boost to stay healthy until race day.

I seem lucky that I can drop it if I focus enough, and if I hold it long enough then I seem to get more and more comfy with it, to the point where eating right isn't such a big issue, but akin to an addict, all it takes is one slip and I am back to square one in a matter of days. I imagine it takes me almost three weeks to adjust to "healthy eating" to the point I feel comfy that it takes no effort and I can turn things down or ignore bad choices with ease but if I do slip, it is an instant return to poor eating habits.

Cycling is great if racing for me as I have a target to hit, and that gives me the extra boost to stay healthy until race day.

in my case I don't have any quick wins and I don't go off the wagon as such. Basically I am already Intermittent fasting , during the week generally only eating one main meal on a no sugar no grains diet but eat normally (but still low carb) at the weekend. For me to get down I'd have to keep to it 7 days a week but might not be so bad if out on Sat morning anyway now. I did my cycle last week (98k) fasted which was fine so just leaves me to keep busy Sunday , get out of the house so at least stick to 2 meals a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Mine is about on schedule although I haven't got out much this month due to injury and also that we are in the process of temporarily moving house til October.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what height are you?
    i'm currently around 71 or 72KG, i think about 171 or 172cm; i certainly don't want to lose any more weight, would be happy at about 72 i reckon.

i was 80 about two years ago, lost most of that last year.

Should hit 4,500km this weekend, have upped the target from 7500 km to 8,500km, still ahead of revised target .
    And i refuse to publicly declare my height, weight, age , hair coverage on head ,other than

I wish i was taller, lighter, younger with a full head of hair.
    :):)

what height are you?
    i'm currently around 71 or 72KG, i think about 171 or 172cm; i certainly don't want to lose any more weight, would be happy at about 72 i reckon.

i was 80 about two years ago, lost most of that last year.

174cm , the guide im using is to have a waist to height measurement of 50% so around 34 inches is my target but my waist is 36 inches at the moment. Using a BMI I clock in at 25.4 which marginally tips me into the "obese" category. If I got the 50%, whatever weight that settles at would be fine.

I have increased my physical activity a lot since Jan but hasn't dented my waistline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hadn't planned on any goals this year and hadn't really been doing much cycling at all until a friend mentioned he was going to cycle 500k over the month for charity and I said I'd join him. Decided to add a monthly strava climbing challenge of 7.5k, 100k single cycle and 1250k distance. Will make the first two, half way through the climbing target, but only 280k for the month so far so not likely to make the distance one. New goal of a 200k solo at some point later in the year with the intention of getting back into the habit of long solo spins.

Interesting all the talk about weight. In my 50s now and I find it so much tougher to shift. Currently 90k and 184cm, used to compete in martial arts at under 75k in my 30s. Having put more time in on the bike last week than I managed last month, I'm up 1kg. I reckon I need a few long hilly days to scare the weight off me.

174cm , the guide im using is to have a waist to height measurement of 50% so around 34 inches is my target but my waist is 36 inches at the moment. Using a BMI I clock in at 25.4 which marginally tips me into the "obese" category. If I got the 50%, whatever weight that settles at would be fine.

I have increased my physical activity a lot since Jan but hasn't dented my waistline.
    All my opinion, not fact:
    BMI can be a poor metric to use, as it really applies to a small percentage of the population in being accurate. You might be better aiming for a specific fat % and using a skin folds test or similar which are astonishingly accurate. My BMI has me borderline obese but my body fat percentage via a DEXA scan was 18%, now down to 13% (both of which are well within recommended healthy levels). TLDR don't let BMI get you down, it is horrendously misleading.

Waist to height measurement can also be a bad choice as anybody shape outside the normal can have you under or over by a long shot, in my opinion.

Do you feel fitter, maybe you are putting on muscle mass or maybe you are eating more?

according to a BMI calculator, i'm just within the high end of normal; and as mentioned, i certainly don't want to lose any more weight.

according to a BMI calculator, i'm just within the high end of normal; and as mentioned, i certainly don't want to lose any more weight.

If your the high end of normal, we may all give up.

Kind of fits in with the widely held view, not mentioned, that the BMI scale is a crock of sh1t. Those studies mentioned would have been far more useful if they took fat percentage and used that for groupings. This is where linguistics are twisted in science. They use the word overweight in relation to the definition set out by the BMI, which in many cases when using a different metric does not hold up. Until recently i was overweight by the BMI scale, and many elite athletes (not cyclists) were obese. But use almost any other accepted marker for weight, I am in the normal range, and those athletes who are obese by BMI standards are all of a sudden lean/underweight.

The BMI scale is a real bugbear of mine and it grates on me as a researcher that it is still so widely used and published.

Kind of fits in with the widely held view, not mentioned, that the BMI scale is a crock of sh1t. Those studies mentioned would have been far more useful if they took fat percentage and used that for groupings. This is where linguistics are twisted in science. They use the word overweight in relation to the definition set out by the BMI, which in many cases when using a different metric does not hold up. Until recently i was overweight by the BMI scale, and many elite athletes (not cyclists) were obese. But use almost any other accepted marker for weight, I am in the normal range, and those athletes who are obese by BMI standards are all of a sudden lean/underweight.

The BMI scale is a real bugbear of mine and it grates on me as a researcher that it is still so widely used and published.

Getting a bit touchy fatso..... :):)

secman wrote: »
    Getting a bit touchy fatso..... :):)

Shut up Sectickman

All my opinion, not fact:
    BMI can be a poor metric to use, as it really applies to a small percentage of the population in being accurate. You might be better aiming for a specific fat % and using a skin folds test or similar which are astonishingly accurate. My BMI has me borderline obese but my body fat percentage via a DEXA scan was 18%, now down to 13% (both of which are well within recommended healthy levels). TLDR don't let BMI get you down, it is horrendously misleading.

Waist to height measurement can also be a bad choice as anybody shape outside the normal can have you under or over by a long shot, in my opinion.

Do you feel fitter, maybe you are putting on muscle mass or maybe you are eating more?

I havnt looked into fat % apart from scales at home that gives a measure but that probably isn’t reliable. The BMI is a weaker measure for sure which is why I feel the waist % is superior and is an easy target to monitor. There maybe exceptions to it but I’d expect the more athletic someone is the fewer there should be, outside of Strongmen types and even there how healthy is it to carry around the extra weight? Additional stress on the heart etc?

Fitness goals are on going so I havnt run out of road yet, I started strength training this year so I probably have another 6-9 months of easy “gainz” to make. Im throwing the ageing clock into reverse for now ;-) its all good. The longer distance cycling should be a good fat burner going forward especially if I keep adding to the activity.

On the food front there probably is a certain change in focus so could be eating more than last year, hopefully later in the year it all comes together , strength gains will mean more muscle , less fat so should be going in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Strange rabbit hole to have gone down. 183cm/76kg but flying fit race weight would be about 74kg.

YTD's - 7,800km. Still haven't managed to crack 20,000 per year pace, but the last couple of years have all been 17/18,000 plus. I don't bother setting mileage targets anymore.

Advertisement