Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6 month 100gb mobile phone plan

• 18-01-2021 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I thought one of the mobile networks had a plan/package that was something like this "Approx €50 and it lasts 6 months and 100GB data comes with it" (I think the calls included is poor, that doesnt matter)"
    Can anyone remind me which network it is or a similar plan please?
    It's for an elderly parent to use in a mobile dongle that they'll use for data for a smart speaker, hence why it wont use "much" data. Just radio, questions, alarms, reminders etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I thought one of the mobile networks had a plan/package that was something like this "Approx €50 and it lasts 6 months and 100GB data comes with it" (I think the calls included is poor, that doesnt matter)"
    Can anyone remind me which network it is or a similar plan please?
    It's for an elderly parent to use in a mobile dongle that they'll use for data for a smart speaker, hence why it wont use "much" data. Just radio, questions, alarms, reminders etc.

I think that was eir that had that. You could sign up to 48 before February 1st and get 100gb data per month for €7.99. use a referral link and get one month free.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057998585/7

48.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I thought one of the mobile networks had a plan/package that was something like this "Approx €50 and it lasts 6 months and 100GB data comes with it" ..

That was Eir/Meteor, long gone I'm afraid.

Closest to what you want is this from the Uk.
    It works fine here, it's 24gb and lasts up to 2 years.
    Will work in a dongle, mifi or router, but not in a phone and no calls.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-Pay-Broadband-Data-Black/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3W40C5FXB0XWS&dchild=1&keywords=three+broadband&qid=1611062940&sprefix=three+br%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-1

Stick a 48 sim in a dongle or spare phone and it would be cheaper and won't cancel after 2 years.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Stick a 48 sim in a dongle or spare phone and it would be cheaper and won't cancel after 2 years.

How would that be cheaper ?

If they "don't use much data"

The 48 sim will cost €7.99 x 24 = €191

The Three sim lasts same length for approx. €55

How would that be cheaper ?

If they "don't use much data"

The 48 sim will cost €7.99 x 24 = €191

The Three sim lasts same length for approx. €55

My bad, I thought it that uk sim only lasted 12 months. That would be cheaper so.

OP, do you have a way of checking her current data usage? I know you said she wouldn't use much but if she has Rte radio 1 streaming a few hours every day it would all build up.

• Advertisement

DopeTech wrote: »
    My bad, I thought it that uk sim only lasted 12 months.

It would still be cheaper if it only lasted 12 months. :D:D

Seriously though, if they intend listening to a lot of Irish radio, a Fm radio is probably a better idea, than a mobile broadband connection.

The Three sim, would handle all the "Alexa" , "Google Home" type stuff.

You could try a 12gb (one year) version from here for €32.99 if you wanted.

https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

If an average of 1gb per month suffices, then the 24 month version at a little more than €2 per month, is hard to beat.

Advertisement