Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

franglan wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the 500ml Guinness slabs in Tesco are around for?

Until Saturday according to the ad above but could be sooner if stocks don't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

POBox19 wrote: »
    Marqués de Cáceres on offer for €10 a bottle in Nolan's Clontarf.

9 euro in tesco if you purchase 6

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Great to hear the rattle in the slabs

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Mine had them last night. Picked up one for myself and one for the father in law. I was back in Tesco again about an hour ago and they only had the 470mls again. (I wasn't being greedy and getting another, just having a gander) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

got 2 x slabs of Proper Guinness and 6 bottles of wine for €65 (had a 16 off 80 voucher) from Tesco.

and I'll get the same next week.

#makethemostofvouchersthisholidayseasonbeforetheymakethemillegalforbooze

what is the rrp of the faustino V - tag says reduced from 12.79-10, but i thought they were priced higher than that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Have availed of the Tesco gin bargains- can anyone point me in the direction of value slabs of tonic water?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ablelocks wrote: »
    got 2 x slabs of Proper Guinness and 6 bottles of wine for €65 (had a 16 off 80 voucher) from Tesco.

and I'll get the same next week.

what is the rrp of the faustino V - tag says reduced from 12.79-10, but i thought they were priced higher than that?

Used to be 19, but you could often get them for between 13 and 16

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ablelocks wrote: »

Seems to be €12 on Supervalu for Faustino V.
    Faustino I Gran Reserva rrp is €20

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=faustino

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Gunpowder is a great deal, think that's normally around €45-€50 but unsurprisingly sold out when I checked.

How sweet is the Tanqueray ? I hate when flavoured gins taste like alcopops. I like subtle flavoured gins like Boyle's raspberry blush.

The tanqueray flavoured ones are top of the range, nice and subtle without being overpowering. The orange one pictured is slightly better than the lime flavoured one, I think it's rangpur limes or something like that. They're lovely, both of them, much better than some of the other guff out there. The Ha'penny Dublin gin is probably my fave at the moment, but their rhubarb one is atrocious.

If you're looking for more pointers, the Gordon's lemon one (€18 - €20 everywhere) is surprisingly good, seeing as the regular Gordon's is muck. The italian Malfy gins are excellent as well. The Lemon one is everywhere, think it was €30 in Tesco. They sell a blood orange one as well, which I got off Amazon for Black Friday and have never seen for sale over here.
    Have availed of the Tesco gin bargains- can anyone point me in the direction of value slabs of tonic water?

I get all my tonics off amazon as well. The prices for some of the premium ones over here are eye watering. The best, in my opinion, is the Fever tree elderflower one. That's normally still dear enough on Amazon but cheaper than, say, Tesco (€4.40 per litre).

The ones I've bought and used over the past year or two:

Fentiman's Valencian Orange - 8x500ml - £11.50 (£2.80 per litre)
    London Essence Company - Bitter Orange & Elderflower, 24x200ml - £20 (£2.40 per litre, though wait til it's available via prime)
    Double Dutch Cranberry & Ginger - 24x200ml - £18 (£2.65 per litre - currently out of stock)
    Double Dutch Pomegranate and Basil - 24x200ml - £19 (£2.50 per litre - also out of stock)

Sorry, only one of them is technically available, but keep an eye out and you can pick them up when they're on special. Failing that, Lidl do a bottle of Elderflower cordial, which you can use a drop of with their cheapo tonic and is very good.

Edit: Forgot to add, most of them delivered to Ireland. One, I think, had to go through Parcel Motel, but I'm fecked if I can remember which one.
    Edit no 2: I prefer the 200ml bottles as they're perfect for a balloon glass with ice and a slice and a double gin. If you're not too bothered, the next best is the 500ml bottles. I'm not mad on the 150ml cans, but they can be cheap enough at times. Think they're 16 for a tenner in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Seems to be €12 on Supervalu for Faustino V.
    Faustino I Gran Reserva rrp is €20

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/search/allaisles?q=faustino

I think SuperValu may be doing a similar "stealth" reduction to what Tesco are doing (if you note in store in Tesco, there is no yellow label, or reduced price marking, nor is this online), as the same bottle is still €19 in Molloys. I'm sure they're still making money on it, obviously, but there may be more lucrative wines in the same offer that they'd prefer to sell by presenting them as reduced, e.g. Faustino VII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

Anybody seen these in Limerick? Just out in Coonagh , and they only had the 470s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Where are the best deals for slabs of cans or 20 bottles?

Any kind of lager I suppose
    20 bottles of carlsberg for €14 in tesco today was the best offer for bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭tonytiger81

Are there any 500ml Guinness slabs left in Clare Hall? I might venture out that way later

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

O'briens have a decent spirits sale on.
    Jameson black barrell for €30
    Drumshanbo gin for €35

https://www.obrienswine.ie/collections/spirits

Are there any 500ml Guinness slabs left in Clare Hall? I might venture out that way later

I bought one last night and there was maybe 40 left at that stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

SkatesOn wrote: »
    Anybody seen these in Limerick? Just out in Coonagh , and they only had the 470s

Damn was hoping to go out there this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

Daisies wrote: »
    Damn was hoping to go out there this evening!

The 470's are old stock they have yet to shift, so hold out. They won't swap in 500's until the 470's are gonzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

shmeee wrote: »
    The 470's are old stock they have yet to shift, so hold out. They won't swap in 500's until the 470's are gonzo.

And just as I said it. My local Tesco got in some 500s now and have them on the bottom under the 470s.

As attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Aldi have a new bourbon called "Day Star" - Distilled in US - bottled in Ireland. (€19.99)
    Nothing on Google about it. Probably a Xmas special for Ireland.

Hopefully, it's better than Samuel Joe's, the replacement for Clarke's, which is just watery and has no depth.
    Has not been received well - Aldi UK even put the following message on their site:
    Please note this product is the same as Clarke's the packaging has been rebranded.
    Don't believe them, I tried it a few times and moved to Lidl's Western Gold, which is just average.

7H01mO9.png

Aldi's forgettable bourbon replacement for Clarke's.

AcD0Ke6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

shmeee wrote: »
    And just as I said it. My local Tesco got in some 500s now and have them on the bottom under the 470s.

As attached.

The snakey feckers :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Anyone try the Bombay Bramble gin?

Anyone try the Bombay Bramble gin?

No I bought one though. The beefeater blood orange, that bramble one and a bottle of smirnoff for the vodka drinking visitors. Not too shabby for 50 lids.

$hifty wrote: »
    No I bought one though. The beefeater blood orange, that bramble one and a bottle of smirnoff for the vodka drinking visitors. Not too shabby for 50 lids.

The Beefeater blood orange is tasty. I have been getting that a while. It comes down form 24 to 20 often enough.

I bought one last night and there was maybe 40 left at that stage.

Scratch that, up here now and can't see any. Also, it was the beefeater blackberry I got, not Bombay Bramble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

SkatesOn wrote: »

Arthurs Quay

Scratch that, up here now and can't see any. Also, it was the beefeater blackberry I got, not Bombay Bramble

That's grand. The blackberry one isn't bad either. I usually mix with sugar free lemon and lime as I don't like tonic waters. I might get a bottle of the Bombay, will see how it goes. Some good deals on gin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

18 cans of Carling for 11.80 in Tesco - "Priced to Clear"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Has anyone tried the 470 Guinness, was in Lidl and came close to getting the 2 Guinness and Carlsberg slabs for €33. But haven't heard anyone say something good about it.

Has anyone tried the 470 Guinness, was in Lidl and came close to getting the 2 Guinness and Carlsberg slabs for €33. But haven't heard anyone say something good about it.

My auldfella wouldn't be fussy about anything, not much of a drinker but has the odd can or two, especially at Christmas. Wouldn't be online much either, so he's as close to a blind taste test as you can get.

He didn't know anything about them until I mentioned it. Actually, he said it first. He said the can he had at the weekend was smaller than the pint glass. He thought it had leaked or he'd opened a Norn Iron can by some method. I mentioned they were trying out a new size, and didn't say anything else. I asked was it the same and he said no, it settled too quick and it wasn't anything near as silky smooth as it usually is. I'll probably try one at some stage and try to keep an open mind.

It's him I went back up for tonight. I ended up getting one in Artane Castle, they'd none on the floor but the young lad was most obliging and fetched me one from the stores. I could hear them rattling all the way up the toothpaste aisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur. Tastes grand but rattle can has far nicer experience. If there's no massive price difference, get the 500

Advertisement