21-09-2020, 11:12   #1
Nidot

Novice Amateur In Every Way

So here I am looking to keep myself accountable for the next year so I can achieve some realistic goals and possibly some unrealistic ones aswell.

Background
- Male
- Mid 30's
- Married with two kids (ages 12 and 2)
- Accountant working from home currently
- 77KG (ish)
- 5' 8"

Fitness History

Swim
I worked as a lifeguard and swim teacher when I was in school/college so I know I'm not the worst swimmer but I'm not the best either. I haven't given much time to swimming training over the last number of years so this next year will require some serious input.

As far as open water swimming is concerned I'm a novice. I've done the Lee swim previously - put in all the training in the pool so when it came to the day I blew out and found it very hard to cope. This is something I'm looking at giving a go of again but this time with more structured training.

Cycle
Once again pretty much a novice here aswell. I haven't cycled past 40KM for about 3 years so this will have to increase gradually over the year.

I'm investing in a new bike over the coming weeks to allow me have a decent go at the bike element but over winter I'm hoping to bring my distance up using a turbo trainer indoors and hit Spring with a good base to push on from into the new year.

Run
I've completed several runs in the past everything from 5ks to a Marathon (but that was in 2010 so can't rely on any miles from that anymore).

I wouldn't consider myself a fast runner, in fact from reading other peoples training diaries I consider myself slower than what most people consider plodding. My pace would be 5.50/KM (9.20/M) for most runs where I would feel comfortable with the pace tapering as I'm nearing the end of the distance where I feel comfortable.

Goals
So like alot of people I've looked on from afar when triathlons are advertised/taking place thinking I'd love to have a go off that. So with the Ironman 70.3 set to take place in Cork next year I've bitten the bullet and signed up. I know in triathlon community there's a bit of snobbishness surrounding the IM brand but for me I want to whole experience - the large crowds, the organised venue, the closed roads, everything and I'm using it as the goal to aim for. I'm using it as my RACE.

For the RACE I don't have any preconceived notions of putting down a magnificent time or anything, I'm just concerned with getting around having put in a decent effort representative of the training I've completed so if 8.29.59 is what it reads on the clock when I cross the line I'll still be happy.

With the RACE not until August I'm looking to knock off a few other events before then, half-marathons, a tour or two, the Lee Swim again, these I plan on incorporating into my schedule and building my training towards so as to give me short-term goals aswell.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 11:27   #2
Nidot

Week Ending 20/09/20

So this was the week I just had up to yesterday where I had a virtual half marathon to complete.

Sun - 13/09
Run 14.52KM
Duration 1.33.54
Pace 6.28/KM
Training run in Tramore Valley Park. Haven't run here before and I don't think I'll be giving it a go again. The Park undulates quite a bit with a gravel track making it hard on the feet. Good to get it done but the pace was well off where I wanted it to be.

Mon - 14/09
Run 5.0KM
Duration 0.25.36
Pace 5.07/KM
Went out there to blast a quick time to see how I can go. Went early morning so the route was very quiet. New 5K PB for me.

Tues - 15/09
Rest Day

Wed - 16/09
Rest Day

Thurs - 17/09
Run 8.11KM
Duration 0.47.24
Pace 5.51/KM
Went out mid morn again. Felt good heading out and the weather was fantastic for run (bit of cloud cover, slight breeze, fresh). Run takes me more on backroads around home and it's a solid route I plan on using for my training runs. Happy to be at this pace.

Fri - 18/09
Cycle 14.11KM
Duration 0.42.12
Avg Speed 20.1
Elev Gain 86
Took a commuter bike I currently have for a little spin. Felt grand to be out cycling but I know that I'll have to be keeping atleast this pace up come the RACE. The route I took was to stretch the legs as it's through estates and back road - nothing I would consider race roads but it showed me for proper training spins I'll have to get onto proper roads to get mileage up.

Sat - 19/09
Rest Day with half marathon tomorrow.
21-09-2020, 13:31   #3
EC1000

Best of luck and enjoy the journey. Just make sure thay you enter a triathlon or two early next year so that you are not doing your first triathlon at the 70.3. Ideally you would try the sport first before entering a half but nothing wrong with jumping straight in if that is for you.
21-09-2020, 13:48   #4
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC1000 View Post
Best of luck and enjoy the journey. Just make sure thay you enter a triathlon or two early next year so that you are not doing your first triathlon at the 70.3. Ideally you would try the sport first before entering a half but nothing wrong with jumping straight in if that is for you.
Thanks EC1000.

I'm hoping to do one or two short distances alright next year.

I've looked at both 'Hook or by Crook' and 'King of the Hill' which would both be easy enough to add to the schedule.

Also Cork Tri Club are based locally so hoping to link in with them where possible.
Thanks from:
22-09-2020, 12:46   #5
sconhome

Send a message via Skype™ to sconhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidot View Post

Also Cork Tri Club are based locally so hoping to link in with them where possible.
You could do a lot worse than joining a club right now.

There is generally great support form like minded individuals who will be at all levels. Key advantages will be planned training sessions and most likely pool and cycle training through the winter.

When I was at your stage, I found my running improved no end through having the competitive challenge through training with others. There will always be someone just that bit better than you to give you a target to chase.

Training with others will help you motivationally and with consistency.

Most of all you MUST enjoy the journey you are embarking on. It is a hobby and should be fun while testing yourself.
Advertisement
22-09-2020, 14:36   #6
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconhome View Post
You could do a lot worse than joining a club right now.

There is generally great support form like minded individuals who will be at all levels. Key advantages will be planned training sessions and most likely pool and cycle training through the winter.

When I was at your stage, I found my running improved no end through having the competitive challenge through training with others. There will always be someone just that bit better than you to give you a target to chase.

Training with others will help you motivationally and with consistency.

Most of all you MUST enjoy the journey you are embarking on. It is a hobby and should be fun while testing yourself.
Thanks sconhome.

It's in my thoughts alright, element I'll struggle with most, probably like many others, is fitting the training into the schedule with work and kids.
Thanks from:
28-09-2020, 11:26   #7
Nidot

Sun - 20/09
Run 21.1KM
Duration 2.13.41
Pace 6.20/KM
Part of the Dublin series which I'm now running virtually for a charity. Happy enough with how the run went. As I expected my last few KMs were where I struggled, kept up an average of under 6.10/KM until 17KM when it dropped down to 7.10/KM. Just didn't have enough sorted before heading out for the run - I hadn't placed any water drops after the first 12KM so once that was done I was on my own. For any future runs of this distance I must plan to have water further on the route. Also, thinking I should try gels or bars, I haven't ever taken them, but many online seem to be using them. Does anyone have any good suggestions for something light on the stomach.

Mon - 21/09
Rest Day

Tues - 22/09
Rest Day

Wed - 23/09
Run 14.1KM
Duration 1.22.17
Pace 5.49/KM
Grand run over lunch time. Kept good pace.

Thurs - 24/09
Bike 30mins
Set up turbo trainer in the garage here on a wet day. It's a dumb turbo so connected to nothing - looking at getting the Wahoo tracker so I'll have some data on it. Looking to use it to build up strength and stamina in the legs over next few months.

Fri - 25/09
Rest

Sat - 26/09
Rest. Had planned on getting a swim session done today but other tasks took over. Delayed until tomorrow but that's what I want to do over the coming months with training - move around sessions to times that suit while also getting the required training completed.

News
Bought a new bike. Went with Giant Revolt as I want it to be used outside of road use as well. I'll use this bike for just myself cycling and use the Trek for spinning around home with the family.

Here's hoping that the Giant Revolt will get me through the RACE and all the training required until then - do people have any past experience using it for Tris?
Thanks from:
29-09-2020, 13:00   #8
woody1

high 5 gels are / were pretty easy on the stomach,

they used to come into lidl every now and again too, but havent seen them in there for a while
29-09-2020, 13:33   #9
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
high 5 gels are / were pretty easy on the stomach,

they used to come into lidl every now and again too, but havent seen them in there for a while
Thanks Woody, I'll pick up some in town or in some sports store. Not too put off on the price (don't think I'll use them too much) just want something that's not going to leave me with an upset stomach to worry about during a session.
Advertisement
05-10-2020, 12:07   #10
Nidot

Sun - 27/09
Swim 720m
Duration 21:30
Pace 29:52/KM
First swimming session as part of training. Swimming in a local hotel pool so it's only 18m long which caused a few headaches with the other swimmers in there. Our membership is running out soon so I plan on moving to a local 25m pool for the winter for training swims.

Mon - 28/09
Run 8.1KM
Duration 45:55
Pace 5:40/KM
Good morning run on the 5M route around home. I want to bring this run below 45mins over winter which I feel is very achievable. The element which comes against me here is the pull around the 4M mark which is quite steep (don't know the gradient) but I end up having to walk this section just to lift my legs.

Tues - 29/09
Bike 40mins
Turbo again in the garage - going to have to get the tracker to measure heart rate and distance going.

Weds - 30/09
Rest Day

Thurs - 01/10
Swim 720m
Duration 21:50
Pace 30:19
Slower than on Sunday but I have been reading a few of the logs kept by others and noted how focusing on swim technique has been important for them so with that I slowed my stroke down, making sure to get the full extension and glide. I must say it worked in that I did the session without any breaks and felt I had loads more to give. So going to work on that for the next few weeks while stretching out the distance then see where I am.

Fri - 02/10
Bike 60mins
Turbo set up in front of the TV - much easier than just looking out the window in the garage.

Sat - 03/10
Run 14KM
Duration 1:18:57
Pace 5:38/KM
Felt run went very well until the 10/11KM mark where I could feel the energy beginning to drain - supporting more my thinking of looking at gels/foods to bring with me on the long sessions. Going to look at what's available over the week and put an order in then for somewhere.
Good news is that I was well within the 45min mark for 5M on this run which doesn't include the pull until 12KM mark. I was going at 43:30 for this so my hope will be to keep this going and do the John Treacy in Feb and get it under 1:30:00.
05-10-2020, 12:10   #11
Nidot

Worries this morning about the training and planned races for the next few months since NPHET have indicated moving the country to Level 5.

I've got my name down for the Clonakilty Half Marathon at the end of November and I'm wondering will it go ahead now. My wife is saying it'll be called off with the uncertainty at the moment - we may not be out of Level 5 until mid November and who's going to try and run a race coming out of that with all the confusion.

Oh will there ever be just a clear racing calendar again.
06-10-2020, 09:46   #12
BennyMul

keep training towards the race, the worst thing that can happen is the race is called off but you have built some nice fitness going into Dec and the new year.
Thanks from:
06-10-2020, 09:59   #13
woody1

all you can do is keep training, i fully understand the situation though, was tipping away meself until may and then just couldnt bring myself to keep doing that level of training anymore, have done a couple of races in the last 2 weeks and i can see the difference they make motivationally ,
Thanks from:
06-10-2020, 12:06   #14
Nidot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
all you can do is keep training, i fully understand the situation though, was tipping away meself until may and then just couldnt bring myself to keep doing that level of training anymore, have done a couple of races in the last 2 weeks and i can see the difference they make motivationally ,
Ya it's the motivation you need with it in the calendar.

My training over the summer had a run flavor to it mainly as I had the Dublin series (virtual) and the Clon Half down as goals to encourage me to lace up the runners.

If I'm thinking logically I don't see the Clon race going ahead - the number of cases are still too high and by the time they might be lowering to an acceptable level (2/3 weeks from now) the Clon organisers would have to be making a decision - it's just too tight on time.
08-10-2020, 11:24   #15
Nidot

How do people keep the training tempo up?

I headed out for a quick 5M run this morning and just found it hard. The time wasn't terrible - roughly what I'm doing for this route regularly but it just felt slow, felt like I was slogging around, and after it I feel more tired and worn than usual.

I don't think I did anything particularly differently, had same breakfast and same routine until I headed out. Only difference was that I wore tracksuit pants instead of shorts and I won't be doing that again - felt that they were touching my leg all the time if that makes sense.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion