Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 09:35   #46
Oat23
Registered User
 
Oat23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,134
The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.
Oat23 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 10:25   #47
bugsyb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 190
Thanks OP great offer.

Was signed up until New Years for €26.99 but looked there and said renewal would be €64.99 which is way too much although excellent content on offer.

Same as other posters said signed up with different email to what I am using, will take the hit of paying for it twice for the next 4 months at an extra cost of €1.10 a month
bugsyb4 is offline  
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 11:21   #48
el Fenomeno
Registered User
 
el Fenomeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat23 View Post
The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.
I'd be interested to see the split between UK and US based services. In the US, it's big news if a good beat writer for a specific team or city is poached and people would legitimately pay to keep reading their work. Over here/in the UK, not so much. Paywall journalism is already barely keeping its head above water, there just isn't the same appetite for a specific reporter over here. Most people will just read the next (free) man up.
el Fenomeno is offline  
11-09-2020, 11:22   #49
duffman13
Registered User
 
duffman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat23 View Post
The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.
They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too
duffman13 is offline  
11-09-2020, 12:20   #50
Electric Nitwit
Registered User
 
Electric Nitwit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
...apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019
This offer is, apparently, to celebrate 1 million subscribers
Electric Nitwit is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 13:22   #51
ElNino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too
They have annual subscriptions of $60 million but are still not profitable. They have an interesting business model but I am not convinced that it will be sustainable in the long term with them doing such deep discounts.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/09/the-...-shutdown.html
ElNino is offline  
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 22:38   #52
torrevieja
Registered User
 
torrevieja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,611
Whats so special about it ?
torrevieja is offline  
11-09-2020, 23:20   #53
killbillvol2
Registered User
 
killbillvol2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrevieja View Post
Whats so special about it ?
Good journalism. Imagine!
killbillvol2 is offline  
12-09-2020, 09:51   #54
Brock Turnpike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,111
I signed up for this offer, having had an account when it launched in the UK originally. I'm already starting to be reminded why I unsubscribed the first time. A huge amount of guff and fan-placating articles.
Brock Turnpike is offline  
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 10:37   #55
qaz123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
Thanks OP. Never signed up before but often see links to articles I'd like to read so for 12 euro for the year it's a great deal. Cheers
qaz123 is offline  
12-09-2020, 23:17   #56
torrevieja
Registered User
 
torrevieja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,611
Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks
torrevieja is offline  
14-09-2020, 09:08   #57
RonanC
Registered User
 
RonanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrevieja View Post
Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks
It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)
RonanC is offline  
14-09-2020, 16:39   #58
bored_newbie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanC View Post
It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)
I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?
bored_newbie is offline  
Thanks from:
14-09-2020, 18:19   #59
killbillvol2
Registered User
 
killbillvol2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_newbie View Post
I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?
It bills monthly so you'd cancel after 11 months.
killbillvol2 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
17-09-2020, 14:59   #60
Bob the Builder
Registered User
 
Bob the Builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,794
Thanks OP, signed up for this last week and the few articles I've read so far put it way ahead of any other publication.

For example, I'm a Leeds fan, and despite the loss to Liverpool, the commentary on the match from Phil Hay and Michael Coxes tactics analysis is simply unparalleled anywhere.

Also, the comments section is like thejournal/the42 - except it's far more indepth, insightful and less toxic
Bob the Builder is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet