11-09-2020, 09:35   #46
Oat23

The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 10:25   #47
bugsyb4

Thanks OP great offer.

Was signed up until New Years for €26.99 but looked there and said renewal would be €64.99 which is way too much although excellent content on offer.

Same as other posters said signed up with different email to what I am using, will take the hit of paying for it twice for the next 4 months at an extra cost of €1.10 a month
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 11:21   #48
el Fenomeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat23 View Post
The Athletic's business model seems to be seriously flawed. They are a step away from giving away subscriptions at this point. I've been subscribed for a few years now and every few months they seem to become more desperate to hold onto subscribers. Something's gotta give eventually but let's enjoy it until that day comes. This offer is unbeatable.
I'd be interested to see the split between UK and US based services. In the US, it's big news if a good beat writer for a specific team or city is poached and people would legitimately pay to keep reading their work. Over here/in the UK, not so much. Paywall journalism is already barely keeping its head above water, there just isn't the same appetite for a specific reporter over here. Most people will just read the next (free) man up.
11-09-2020, 11:22   #49
duffman13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat23 View Post
They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too
11-09-2020, 12:20   #50
Electric Nitwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
...apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019
This offer is, apparently, to celebrate 1 million subscribers
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 13:22   #51
ElNino

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman13 View Post
They are flush with venture capitalist funds at the moment but even so apparently had 600k subscribers at the end of 2019. Even at the low intro price of 12 euro for the year thats 7.2million a year that would be loss making if that model was to stick around. Covid must be reducing subscriber numbers too
They have annual subscriptions of $60 million but are still not profitable. They have an interesting business model but I am not convinced that it will be sustainable in the long term with them doing such deep discounts.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/09/the-...-shutdown.html
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 22:38   #52
torrevieja

Whats so special about it ?
11-09-2020, 23:20   #53
killbillvol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrevieja View Post
Whats so special about it ?
Good journalism. Imagine!
12-09-2020, 09:51   #54
Brock Turnpike

I signed up for this offer, having had an account when it launched in the UK originally. I'm already starting to be reminded why I unsubscribed the first time. A huge amount of guff and fan-placating articles.
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 10:37   #55
qaz123

Thanks OP. Never signed up before but often see links to articles I'd like to read so for 12 euro for the year it's a great deal. Cheers
12-09-2020, 23:17   #56
torrevieja

Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks
14-09-2020, 09:08   #57
RonanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrevieja View Post
Just wondering if i was to cancel when is the best time to cancel after the year is it a month before hand or does the subscription stop immediately thanks
It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)
14-09-2020, 16:39   #58
bored_newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanC View Post
It auto-renews - I took out a discounted sub in August 2019 and didn't get any renewal reminders, just an email 12 months later to say that I had been renewed (at full price!)
I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?
Thanks from:
14-09-2020, 18:19   #59
killbillvol2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_newbie View Post
I think the question he was asking is if he signs up today and cancels tomorrow, will he still get the 12 months? Or do you need to cancel next August/September?
It bills monthly so you'd cancel after 11 months.
(3) thanks from:
17-09-2020, 14:59   #60
Bob the Builder

Thanks OP, signed up for this last week and the few articles I've read so far put it way ahead of any other publication.

For example, I'm a Leeds fan, and despite the loss to Liverpool, the commentary on the match from Phil Hay and Michael Coxes tactics analysis is simply unparalleled anywhere.

Also, the comments section is like thejournal/the42 - except it's far more indepth, insightful and less toxic

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion