Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Finally got mine in, been meaning to do it for weeks. In the end only started it this morning so not sure if it will be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Only got the motivation to really go at this properly yesterday, done now. Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

I can only imagine there has been an awful lot of applications made for these roles. Between the competition been extended, more than half the country being off over the same period and fearing for their jobs therefore going for a more secure well paid civil service job.

You're not in you can't win though, so good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Major Dubfire

Where was the portal Folks? It disappeared completely for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Got mine in too. I had no enthusiasm for filling in the form but made myself do it. Good luck all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Where was the portal Folks? It disappeared completely for me :(

The competition closed for applications at 3pm, so perhaps that’s why the portal is gone

I can only imagine there has been an awful lot of applications made for these roles. Between the competition been extended, more than half the country being off over the same period and fearing for their jobs therefore going for a more secure well paid civil service job.

You're not in you can't win though, so good luck to all.

I wonder will there be more, this thread seems a lot quieter than the last campaigns for the moment.

The competition closed for applications at 3pm, so perhaps that’s why the portal is gone
    No, it was unavailable anywhere in search or navigation before the deadline. Usually open competitions are prominent.

No, it was unavailable anywhere in search or navigation before the deadline. Usually open competitions are prominent.

How close to deadline? I searched it around 1.40 to put in my application

Forthebuzz wrote: »
    How close to deadline? I searched it around 1.40 to put in my application
    Between 2:30 and right up to 3pm. Was just flat out with other stuff in work and couldn't get a chance before.

Did it appear straight away for you? I performed any relevant search term you can think of, also scrolled through nearly all job categories even as the "days left" number got higher and higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Got my application submitted last night. To say it was difficult to motivate myself to fill it out with everything going on is an understatement. Let's hope they get this panel going before a moratorium sets in. Good luck to everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

I wonder will there be more, this thread seems a lot quieter than the last campaigns for the moment.

I was thinking that myself.

I was also wondering how many people actually new about it. It was originally advertised before the lockdown when the private sector was in good shape and the lure of an auld public sector job wouldn’t have been as strong.

I’m sure if it had been advertised after the lockdown the number of applicants would have been through the roof but this time I’m not so sure. Time will tell

Best of luck to everyone this time.

Between 2:30 and right up to 3pm. Was just flat out with other stuff in work and couldn't get a chance before.

Did it appear straight away for you? I performed any relevant search term you can think of, also scrolled through nearly all job categories even as the "days left" number got higher and higher.

Oh feck, yeah it did show up straight away for me.

Brera wrote: »
    I was thinking that myself.

I was also wondering how many people actually new about it. It was originally advertised before the lockdown when the private sector was in good shape and the lure of an auld public sector job wouldn’t have been as strong.

I’m sure if it had been advertised after the lockdown the number of applicants would have been through the roof but this time I’m not so sure. Time will tell

Best of luck to everyone this time.

Anecdotally as well a good few in work appear to have pulled out who were going for it when they heard that it was going to have more online stages than usual.

Oh feck, yeah it did show up straight away for me.
    The worst part is if I logged on to boards at like 2:45 instead of 3:05 to comment I would have found the direct link here on the previous page within 2 minutes!

Incredibly frustrating. I know there has to be deadlines and ideally should have it in sooner but looks like there is zero flexibility despite multiple genuine attempts to submit before the deadline.

Anyway, best of luck to you and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The worst part is if I logged on to boards at like 2:45 instead of 3:05 to comment I would have found the direct link here on the previous page within 2 minutes!

Incredibly frustrating. I know there has to be deadlines and ideally should have it in sooner but looks like there is zero flexibility despite multiple genuine attempts to submit before the deadline.

Anyway, best of luck to you and all.

The competition was open for 40 days so they were very flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

When is the online assessment scheduled for?

Tomjim wrote: »
    When is the online assessment scheduled for?

It doesn't say, the original booklet said mid April I think but then they pushed out the closing date and the new booklet doesn't specify when stage 1 will take place

Not sure how much pas are affected by covid19. They may have a lot of people working remotely which could cause delays

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Caip79

It doesn't say, the original booklet said mid April I think but then they pushed out the closing date and the new booklet doesn't specify when stage 1 will take place

Not sure how much pas are affected by covid19. They may have a lot of people working remotely which could cause delays

is it a given that there will be supervised testing? booklet states there will but then in another part states it might be a requirement. booklet seems to indicate online testing stage 1 then video interview stage 2. any info appreciate me as first time entering civil service interviews

Caip79 wrote: »
    is it a given that there will be supervised testing? booklet states there will but then in another part states it might be a requirement. booklet seems to indicate online testing stage 1 then video interview stage 2. any info appreciate me as first time entering civil service interviews

I'm as in the dark re supervised testing. Historically it has always been part of the process but they may cut it due to current circumstances. The booklet definitely alludes to it going straight from testing at home to online video interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Caip79

I'm as in the dark re supervised testing. Historically it has always been part of the process but they may cut it due to current circumstances. The booklet definitely alludes to it going straight from testing at home to online video interview

thanks that’s the way i saw it too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

The supervised testing aspect can now be done from people's homes.

Augme wrote: »
    The supervised testing aspect can now be done from people's homes.

How would they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

Tomjim wrote: »
    How would they do that?

Remote proctoring. This is what was done for the PO competition. You will need a webcam.

very interesting - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

I would be shocked if they didn’t do some sort of aptitude tests.

To me the main difference with this competition vs previous years seems to be that they have taken some of the questions from the initial application form and are including a video section instead.

It would make sense that would use the application form as a first stage to screen people. Then use the videos as the next stage. After which you could do the tests. Followed by the real interview.

It would be a clever way to filter your candidates and you would end up with a smaller number going on to
    do the aptitude tests and in person interview.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough anyway what the plan is

According to the booklet stage 1 is the online aptitude tests as usual, the query above was more in relation to redoing them as that usually happens at PAS and that wouldn't be possible currently.

It has been mentioned above that they could supervise remotely which is a very viable option and if that is done at Stage 1 then there would be no need to repeat tests at all

Does it seem like they are replacing shortlisting off the form with the online video interview? I heard that there was a lot of appeals following shortlisting in the previous campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

They have done it before for competitions, you lift up the laptop and scan the room with webcam, you book a particular timeslot, instructions are given to start, webcam stays on during the test and they supervise you remotely. Actually not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

BMHOPE wrote: »
    They have done it before for competitions, you lift up the laptop and scan the room with webcam, you book a particular timeslot, instructions are given to start, webcam stays on during the test and they supervise you remotely. Actually not too bad.

I've done it before. It was fine. They can see you, but you can't see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭lucat

I really want to know when this test is so I can decide when I need to start practicing.

Advertisement