Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NIO

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

NIO Day certainly didn't disappoint!

https://electrek.co/2021/12/18/nio-day-2021-et5-unveiled-with-1000-km-range-plus-global-market-expansions-into-2025/

With those expansion plans for 2022, they've obviously got a plan to deal with the previous chip shortage, which is great.

Sadly, I doubt that we'll see NIO in Ireland, anytime soon - too small a market, to justify moving the steering wheel to the other side of the car, and setting up a BAAS network of swap stations here (unless they did a deal with the Government - but there's no chance of our lot showing such initiative, I fear).

Thanks,

G.

NIO included on the list of EV companies that are going to source chips from Nvidia.

That's one obstacle out of the way...

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/chinese-ev-startups-turn-nvidia-171503971.html

U.S. high performance chip maker Nvidia Corp said Tuesday it has landed more deals with Chinese electric vehicle makers that want to use the company's technolo...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

It’s very frustrating been a Nio shareholder of late. Seem like one foot forward and two steps back a lot of the time. I’m not too worried though. This is a 5-10 year investment for me and I think anything under $40 will look very cheap down the line. I hope I’m right! Norway seems to really have taken to it and it’s going to be a very exciting 2022 with it entering more European markets. The ET5 could be a game changer and the ET7 could be a big seller also.

I’ll continue to buy more Nio around the current price…

The main concern seems to be the potential that the Chinese Government will compel NIO to delist in the US, and list in Hong Kong instead.

That's a risk with all equities, relating to Chinese companies in the tech and data sectors, but it can't overshadow the company, indefinitely.

This company continues to grow its production, enhance its tech, and increase its sales, both in its domestic, and now in new EU markets - that's good enough for me to stick with them.

I only wish that their EVs and the related BaaS was availabile in Ireland, as I'd buy one of their vehicles, if I could - the battery swap means no hanging around waiting to recharge the car, which is a total game changer, imho.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Makes buying some (more) Nvidia seem a good choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Yesterday Mercedes unveiled a prototype EV that can do 1000km on a single charge. I assume that this will be in showrooms relatively soon ( a year or two) and where they lead other manufacturers will soon follow.

At this point BaaS will be for enthusiasts only. I hope NIO has something else going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Hmm i wonder if Mercedes are using CATL as well to get that range if one is getting that range soon most will have it, can't see many of the battery makers giving exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I think Mercedes my be getting that range because of a Solar panel on the cars roof that recharges the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

The Tesla roadster due next year is aiming for a range of circa 1000km (620 miles). I am not sure how they do it especially for a car with this performance.

I am not really a fan of Tesla's but this looks awesome.

Doubt it would contribute much, Fisker also use solar on the roof.

I checked and Tesla,Nio & Mercedez all use CATL so they could all be basically using the same or similar batteries and then using their own tech to get their own extra performance enhancements. I don't know that much about battery tech but if there all getting good range from the same suppiler they will probably be using a similar kwh battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The other huge advantage of BaaS is the fact that NIO can sell you a car cheaper without a battery, then rent the battery to you, win win in that the customer pays less up front, and never needs to worry about battery degradation, and NIO gets the ongoing revenue from the battery. But in any case, I don't see BaaS as being a critical unique point, if it turns out in the future the consumer isn't interested in the whole BaaS model then they simply buy a battery and treat the car as any other plug in EV (and I'm assuming the likes of Norway especially, a large spread out country with no battery swapping infrastructure yet, you'll simply plug in the battery the whole time to charge).

In any case, I personally think the whole BaaS is more the icing on the cake with NIO, I'm alot more excited about how fast they are building the new factory in China (will be completed in feb), and the 2 new saloon cars the ET7 and ET5, we've seen very good growth in delivery numbers from the large NIO models which are decent models but simply don't appeal to as wide a possible customer base as the saloons will. NIO has a much better profit margin per car than the likes of Xpeng and Li auto also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Re BaaS, there are many folks in China wanting to buy an EV but live in high-rise apartments with no way to install a home charger.

BaaS is one solution to this

NIO is down over 50% on peak. Near all the new manufacturers are down.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nio+share+price&rlz=1C1CHBF_enDE899DE899&oq=nio+share+price&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l9.3537j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Rivian are down 50%

Fisker down 31%

Lucid down 24%.

Investors fear(quite rightly) that the established incumbents are able to deliver product to market when the new starts can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I certainly don't 😏

Stop Losses have their uses... after all 👍

Sold Nio at $30 its some where around $22.80 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Nice pop for NIO yesterday 17% up. Now if it can repeat that every day for about a month.... 🙄

Time for NIO to get the finger out - there needs to be significantly more vehicles rolling off the production line, month on month, from now on....

Having "re-tooled" some of their lines, extended agreement with their manufacturing partners, apparently resolved some of the issue with chip shortages etc., I think we've heard all of the excuses, at this stage. They have capacity to increase production, and that's before the new factory comes on line (late this year, perhaps?), so it's time that they got back in the game, and show everyone why they were labelled the Chinese Tesla.

Thanks,

G.

Doesn't wildly surprise me 2bh, Elon regularly states that mass production is alot tricker than you expect. NIO still has a massive advantage over xpeng or the other main Chinese ev players in its high margin per car, and both the ET7 and ET5 are huge for NIO, the model S and Y are the Tesla bread and butter, and by now the S is horribly due a replacement, but it still sells like hotcakes. And other legacy manufacturers are mostly still asleep at the wheel when it comes to EVs, even VW aren't selling a fraction of the EVs they said they would. Personally I'd say we are in for another 2 very average month's of delivery numbers, because people will tend to hold off buying until they can get an ET7, hopefully after that we'll get a serious ramp up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭crushproof

Surely it'll be difficult for them to ramp up all the current shortages? Not to mention the rocketing price of lithium having an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 KrazyKMM

It's looking good today. The trend since the end of January is upward. Will take quite a few months of this for us to get back into the 40's.

New SUV, based on the same platform as the et5 and 7 announced.

• Advertisement

Christ what a messy week lol. You still holding lol? Still alot better than April 2020 when they couldn't even pay staff wages lol 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Anyone know when earnings are? Yesterday Yahoo finance app was saying it was last night but it never happened, then earlier today it said next Tuesday and now it says tonight!! Totally confused 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

https://twitter.com/NIOGlobal/status/1542833519113580550?t=vR9KLri_1U_ZY0oGF7M2HQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

What a steaming turd

Advertisement