Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curve - what’s it all about then

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Perfect thanks a million for the replies. I thought it worked similar to Google Pay in that you could tap the phone but that's perfect.

While I'm here I might just ask another Q. I signed up last week without a hitch. Used a referral off here to do so. My wife tried to sign up last night but kept getting an error that curve couldnt be offered to her at the moment. She hadn't used a referral so I wonder did that make a difference?

No, you don't need to be referred to be able to use Curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

Ok. Thanks. She sent an email to customer support yesterday so we'll see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

What retailer are most people linking to, to get the 1% cash back please?

I've been using Revolut and Google Pay for quite a while, and it's working well. Just wondering if I would benefit from using Curve - the main difference seems to be that I don't preload it, unlike Revolut. Anything else jump out?

Thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been using Revolut and Google Pay for quite a while, and it's working well. Just wondering if I would benefit from using Curve - the main difference seems to be that I don't preload it, unlike Revolut. Anything else jump out?

Thanks

Well obviously if you link your Revolut Card to your Curve card, then you will still need to load funds on to your revolut account. I have a number of different cards linked to my Curve account and I just select the card I want to use accordingly and I if make a payment on the wrong card, the roll back is a great option. The three retailers I used for my cashback were Aldi, Tesco and Amazon. As Ive now reverted back to the free option, I no longer get the cash back option.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

The not having to top up my Revolut card all the time was a big draw for me. The Go Back on Time feature is very handy as well in case you accidentally put something on the wrong card.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Any use for "concealing" deposits to betting sites? Am going the mortgage route this year, would only deposit €20/30 a week for fun but would rather not (can't at the minute anyway) visit smelly bookie shops to do so.

Any use for "concealing" deposits to betting sites? Am going the mortgage route this year, would only deposit €20/30 a week for fun but would rather not (can't at the minute anyway) visit smelly bookie shops to do so.

Wouldn't think so. The transactions still appear in your normal bank statements. If I used my Curve card (linked to my KBC card) to buy something from Amazon it would show up on my KBC statement as something like CRV*Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Spocker wrote: »
    Is your device rooted?

You were probably close to what the problem was.

Phone was bloated with photos and files and no space. Cleared space and fine.

Only posting in case it helps someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble signing up to Curve? Submitted ID and that but then said they "couldn't offer you Curve at the moment"

Still waiting. They were in touch to request a passport instead of a drivers licence but that was 4 days ago.
    Dreadful new sign up experience so far

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Have set this up over the weekend, but have I done something wrong if the balance is in £ and not €?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Have set this up over the weekend, but have I done something wrong if the balance is in £ and not €?

Firstly, you don't need to have a balance in Curve.
    You add whatever cards you want to use from Curve, and set the currency of those cards. That's the important bit.

Curve will convert the $£ etc into the currency of the card you have set as your curve card.

• Moderators Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Spocker

Davy wrote: »
    Firstly, you don't need to have a balance in Curve.
    You add whatever cards you want to use from Curve, and set the currency of those cards. That's the important bit.

Curve will convert the $£ etc into the currency of the card you have set as your curve card.

Curve Cash (for referrals and cash back) are in £, and if you use that card are converted to € at POS

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Anyone got Curve working on Samsung Galaxy Watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Spocker wrote: »
    Curve Cash (for referrals and cash back) are in £, and if you use that card are converted to € at POS

I'm still lost. Let's say I have a revolut wallet of TRY (Turkish Lira) and euro and stg. If I buy something on curve in TRY, does it take it from my revolut TRY balance or does curve convert it to euro and take it from my rev euro balance?
    Also, can you stack money due to exchanging at a favourable rate on curve or is it all on the fly conversions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'm still lost. Let's say I have a revolut wallet of TRY (Turkish Lira) and euro and stg. If I buy something on curve in TRY, does it take it from my revolut TRY balance or does curve convert it to euro and take it from my rev euro balance?
    Also, can you stack money due to exchanging at a favourable rate on curve or is it all on the fly conversions?

Curve will convert the transaction into whatever currency you have set for the card that is being used. You could always go into the curve app and change your Revolut card to TRY.

The Curve card means you don't need to rely on Revolut to get a decent exchange rate, but it doesn't allow you to prepurchase currency at a favourable rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I cancelled my curve card since BoI now have Apple Pay, as I don’t see the benefits

moleyv wrote: »
    I cancelled my curve card since BoI now have Apple Pay, as I don’t see the benefits

No non euro transaction charges, better conversion rates than your bank, no topping up of Curve like you have to do with Revolut.

Just tried to sign up and it wouldnt accept my ID verification. But trying to contact support seems difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just tried to sign up and it wouldnt accept my ID verification. But trying to contact support seems difficult.

Patience .. they'll get back to you. Or do you mean, you can't even find the option .. yes .. that's fairly f**** hidden.

Here's the guide:
    - Open the app
    - click "account" (bottom left)
    - click "Settings" (top left)
    - click "Help"
    - click the 3 lines in the screen top left
    - click the chat icon in the bottom left ... raise a ticket :)

It was always difficult .. but they've just hidden it even more.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Patience .. they'll get back to you. Or do you mean, you can't even find the option .. yes .. that's fairly f**** hidden.

Here's the guide:
    - Open the app
    - click "account" (bottom left)
    - click "Settings" (top left)
    - click "Help"
    - click the 3 lines in the screen top left
    - click the chat icon in the bottom left ... raise a ticket :)

It was always difficult .. but they've just hidden it even more.

/M
    Thanks. I found a generic support contact on their webpage as I can't get to any options on the app with their error message.

• Advertisement

This crowd are not impressing me at all. So I uploaded a selfie and a pic of my passport ID. Nothing unusual, everything is Irish etc. Then message that I can't get curve (as opposed to stating why and options on resolving the issue).
    I emailed them on 30th. Got a reply on 1st saying the relevant team is looking into it.
    Have heard nothing since. Doesn't inspire confidence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I've used it a few times a week over the past 6 months. Sometimes randomly blocks a transaction with no explanation. Contacting support is a long and tedious process, answer is always vague and several days late. Last week was told I have to verify with ID again, which I did immediately. No response since and card is blocked for all transactions.

And finally it gets sorted!
    A simple question but one I can't seem to find the answer to: Will it always try the preferred card first? Lets say Card1 is EUR and Card 2 is STG. Card 1 is preferred. If I do a STG transaction, will it try card 1 first?
    Secondly, lets say card 1 is revolut and I have my bank of stg and USD. Can I change the currency of the card before each transaction to suit the currency and use my revolut currency wallets? ie does it check my card currency at each transaction?

Lastly, does the cashback thing really work in eg tesco?

• Moderators Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Spocker

Will it always try the preferred card first? Lets say Card1 is EUR and Card 2 is STG. Card 1 is preferred. If I do a STG transaction, will it try card 1 first?

Yes, it'll do the primary card first (see Anti Embarrassment Mode)

Secondly, lets say card 1 is revolut and I have my bank of stg and USD. Can I change the currency of the card before each transaction to suit the currency and use my revolut currency wallets? ie does it check my card currency at each transaction?

I wouldn't think the card currency is checked each time, but you can adjust the currency the underlying card is charged in, each time
    Lastly, does the cashback thing really work in eg tesco?
    Yep, it sure does, and you get the funds back as "Curve Cash"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Has anyone used Curve with EBS debit card recently...ie since EBS introduced the Card Manager App for SCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I haven't tried it yet, but I have it set as the payment card for next week's online grocery order with tesco. I can't top up my revolut card as I usually would and I now can't use my ebs card online. I usually get a tesco delivery every Wednesday but I remembered about my curve card too late to try it for tomorrow's delivery. Last week I was able to top up my revolut card once with ebs to pay for tesco and I'm hoping I can tomorrow morning (lucky for me, if I can't, they always call if they can't take payment (as it's taken the day of delivery) so maybe I can try my curve card over the phone).

I just managed to top up my revolut with my curve card linked to my ebs card. And now I can pay for my grocery delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I just managed to top up my revolut with my curve card linked to my ebs card. And now I can pay for my grocery delivery.

IIUC, you don't have the EBS card app?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    IIUC, you don't have the EBS card app?

No, I don't. It worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Has anyone used Curve with EBS debit card recently...ie since EBS introduced the Card Manager App for SCA?
    Haven't in a while but I use Curve with N26 all the time and it doesn't trigger N26's SCA so I would be hopeful it wouldn't any other provider's SCA either (unless it's been newly added to Curve).

Advertisement